Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Aarona32

Default 29 Model A Project-Speedster?

I bought this 29 Model A project a few weeks ago and I am trying to figure out what do build it into. I am thinking it would be best to make it into a speedster. I searched the forum for info on guys that had built speedsters and their is not a ton of info. Does anyone have any advice before I start this project. The current vehicle runs and drives decent. It has been converted to 12V as well. I would say that it has been in its current form for many years.

49678615_10100142810094759_3308955195542601728_n.jpg
Aarona32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
PC/SR

Default Re: 29 Model A Project-Speedster?

I think I would put a fancy wooden box on the back, some bucket seats from a wrecking yard, replace the ugly step plate and drive it. IMHO it would look good and not cost much. Then decide what you want to do with the engine.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
lwannem

I recently had the same problem and turned it into a boatail speedster using wooden slats to form the boatail here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1432.jpg (120.0 KB, 301 views)
lwannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
1930artdeco

Welcome to the Barn Aaron. the nice thing about projects like yours is that you can do what you want with it. You have a clean slate so to speak. I have always like the looks of the really early T speedsters with the tank right behind the bucket seats and the fenders. But that is my opinion.

Mike
Old 01-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Eighty

ho

Hope this shows you what I did with a lot of spare parts.
Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty View Post

ho

Hope this shows you what I did with a lot of spare parts.

Nice, always great to see the alternate special build As.

Is the toolbox hand built, or is a bought commercial box?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Eighty

Found trunk in an old trailer used to store old model a parts. Don't know what it was for or what kind of car it came. Like I said before made up from spare parts.
Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
shark 81

no rules for model A speedsters have fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180605_121342.jpg (91.6 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 20180605_121342 (2).jpg (104.1 KB, 185 views)
shark 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #9
Beater

I would build a truckster out of that I think

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
coatings03

Aaron,
Welcome to the barn. I built a 29 Speedster from frame up. Turned out very nice. I used two 1940 delux hoods, welded them together. They made an excellent boatail shape.

Jim m
Seal beach
coatings03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
T Scott

Go to secretsofspeed.com, Charlie Yapp's publication. A ton of information on speedsters and banger engine modifications.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #12
updraught

Doesn't look all that difficult to replicate Fangio's 1929 Ford.
http://www.museofangio.com/es/autos/...-de-bianculli/
http://www.museofangio.com/es/visita...-de-bianculli/
http://www.jmfangio.org/museo-l-mod16.htm

Looks similar
https://classicimportauto.com/wp-con...ds/modelA1.jpg

Juan Manuel Fangio and his friends work intensively in the new workshop of Avda.del Valle esq.14. It was a hard and difficult time, a great recession. The works are done with care, trying to add prestige.

At that time some unofficial competitions were held in the area surrounding Balcarce. And in one of those conversations between mate and mate, the idea of ​​participating in the Benito Juárez race reserved for standard cars until the 1930 models, with 1000 pesos in prizes, that would help them pay some debts arises.

They speak with Bianculli, owner of a Ford "A" 1929 used as a taxi and he decides to lend it, as long as the day after the competition is delivered "in perfect condition". Between all agree that his son Gilberto was the companion in that race.

Fangio, with his 25 years is excited, but the problem was the opinion of his parents and chose not to talk about the race with them.

With all dedication, he and his friends prepare the Ford "A" at night. They try it on dirt roads, reaching Vela, where José Fangio, Juan Manuel's older brother, has a mechanical workshop. There they make adjustments and change the volate of the engine -which was lightened- by ​​another original standard. They do not want to risk being disqualified. Then they return to Balcarce, complete the preparation of the blue color two-seat converted into a race car.

Don Loreto Fangio, he had already noticed something strange, so on the sidewalk of the workshop he asked one of his son's friends "... and ... what do you think? They are going to do well in the race ..." the answer did not wait and enthusiastically replied that he has a good chance of winning Benito Juarez's test.

Fangio always remembered this anecdote and the challenge of his father, not because he ran a race, but because he had not said anything to him.

In any case, Fangio had decided to participate under the pseudonym of "Rivadavia" and thus the debut as pilot of the most successful flyer of all time. The football club takes him from the Club Atlético Rivadavia to the pseudonym.

On Saturday during the Classification Tests, Fangio and Bianculli with No. 19 performed their best lap in 5 '05 "at an average of 99,737 km / h, with seventh place among 18 participants, in front of them they would start, the Marquis of the Maire, Umbro Grimozzi, "El Gordo y el Flaco", Vicente Pifano, Pedro Locatti and Raúl Berini.

On October 25 everything is prepared in Benito Juarez. The circuit has an extension of 8450 meters and must turn twenty-five times. Fangio is located in the second row, since they start from 4 competitors all very close together in the middle of the dust. Being in the Indian line and without walking thoroughly, the initial position was based. I practically saw nothing because of the raised earth. Going in a careful Indian line, before the first circuit Armando Tessone passes it and overturns the car spectacularly beating his companion Juan Estayno, who dies. The tragedy was present.

Fangio overcomes some cars, is placed third behind Umbro Grimozzi and the Marquis de la Maire. They came to him disputing the placement Berini and Faré.

He manages to maintain his position, but when he turns round 23 the Ford "A" runs out of oil and a connecting rod blows.

There is frustration in Fangio and the group of friends who had prepared the car so enthusiastically. They saw now how the checkered flag signals the victory of the Marquis de la Maire, followed by Umbro Grimozzi, Juan Faré and Raúl Berini. For regulatory reasons - special arrangements in the engines - the organizers declare the prizes deserted. There was a long controversy and Juan Fare was declared winner long afterwards.

"... I suspected that those two cars were" touched ", that is, out of regulation, because on Saturday while we rehearsed, a Ford passed me very easily and that our car had a lightened body that we had specially made.
In the race I went fast, but carefully because there was a lot of dust until I fused a connecting rod bearing when I ran out of oil. A pity, because the 1000 pesos of prize would have come to us to pay some debts of the workshop ... "
The problem was the next day when we told what happened to Mr. Bianculli. He wanted to kill us ... But finally he returned it repaired .... "
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Jim Brierley

There is a Speedster Club based in OR, called the Northwest Vintage Speedster Club, web site www.nwvs.org Not sure if they are still active or not? Have fun!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
Tinbasher

Also check on Facebook. There's a Speedster group there. Lots of info and pictures. Some guys build some nice speedsters. JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
ronn

looks like youre going to have some fun!

good for you.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
steve warren

Thumbs up Re: 29 Model A Project-Speedster?

I'm working on a hand built all steel boat tail Model A speedster. The basis is a Model A frame shortened 11 inches to get the proportions correct for the wheel base / body. The body frame is square and round tubing welded together. Body panels will be riveted on. The body panels have been built with hammer/dolly, bead roller and shrinker. I have rebuilt the transmission, brakes and suspension and shortened the driveline the 11 inches. I have a engine that I need to rebuild. I have about another 2 years of work to finish it (its too cold in the garage to work during the winter).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (50.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.jpg (63.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1468.jpg (63.3 KB, 160 views)
steve warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #17
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I would build a truckster out of that I think

Beater,

Very nice looking build. Can you show us the side and rear views of your speedster?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
Beater

sure thing. here ya go

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group...scussionid=813
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #19
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve warren View Post
I'm working on a hand built all steel boat tail Model A speedster. The basis is a Model A frame shortened 11 inches to get the proportions correct for the wheel base / body. The body frame is square and round tubing welded together. Body panels will be riveted on. The body panels have been built with hammer/dolly, bead roller and shrinker. I have rebuilt the transmission, brakes and suspension and shortened the driveline the 11 inches. I have a engine that I need to rebuild. I have about another 2 years of work to finish it (its too cold in the garage to work during the winter).
Steve welcome to Ford Barn. That is an interesting speedster. Looks like fun.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #20
Jim Huseby

Have a good look at my web site, olympicspeedsters.com . Lots of speedster ideas there.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote