Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2016, 04:05 AM   #21
Dodge

Default Re: Various updates.

Tod, your the man....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #22
Tod

The new cores are in the shop!

I ordered a few of the last tools I will need for production machining this past week.

It keeps inching forward.

And, I had an idea this past Thursday night that kept me up almost all night thinking about it. It will make the casting process even easier and will make the blocks look amazingly nice. Work is already under way to implement that idea after these next blocks are cast.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #23
Tod

I got a call today that cores are ready for my new headers and some of the new Winfields. I have cores ready for the new intakes and am waiting on molds at the aluminum foundry for the intake samples and the aluminum A blocks. The block cores are at my shop just waiting for molds.

Momentum is gathering.

Tod
Old 03-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #24
waxhead

Tod, which Winfield cores are ready??
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #25
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
Tod, which Winfield cores are ready??
The same cores work for both chambers.

I will be doing crow's foot first.

Tod
Old 04-16-2016, 04:38 AM   #26
Gabalus

Tod,
I follow your beautifull work and I would like to ask you if you could build an HC english BF model head ( 14.9 ) ? With 3 or 4 bolts water pump pattern. ( But not AF head with straight valves) If I send you an head gasket it help you ? Pictures ?
I never see a HC AF or BF head. With the same crankshaft than A and B, I supposed, you could increased slightly CR.
Thank you.

Last edited by Gabalus; 04-16-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Gabalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #27
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalus View Post
Tod,
I follow your beautifull work and I would like to ask you if you could build an HC english BF model head ( 14.9 ) ? With 3 or 4 bolts water pump pattern. ( But not AF head with straight valves) If I send you an head gasket it help you ? Pictures ?
I never see a HC AF or BF head. With the same crankshaft than A and B, I supposed, you could increased slightly CR.
Thank you.
I'm sure I could make it, but would demand warrant the expense? Pictures are always helpful, too.

Tod
Old 04-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #28
Gabalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I'm sure I could make it, but would demand warrant the expense? Pictures are always helpful, too.
Tod
I agree with you Tod. It's a little market !

I asked you that, because when I heard that English people search and put model B engine ( 50 hp @ 2800 rpm) in their cars instead of staying with stock model BF engine (40HP @ 3100-3200rpm ), IMHO it's easier to change some parts like head and run an more high rpm engine with all the benefits.

Thank you for your interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Gabulus,
You are running a BF engine with the slant valves? That is a very rare and odd duck. The BF also has completely different head stud position than all other A and B variants.

What about just rebuilding a stock B engine and head for your vehicle and swapping that? That I believe would be easier, and would net you the increased power automatically. What year and model vehicle do you have?

Some data on BF heads and gaskets below on Ford Garage.

click> Model A & B Style Cylinder Head Compression Ratios

click> Model A and B Cylinder Head Gasket Guide
Thank you for the links Forever4. I'll try to take pictures.

To answer you, twelve years ago I spoke with A model A owner and he tells me that his favorite engine is BF model. He said : "more modern running". He bought several BF engine to put on model A.
Also, when I saw one (disassembled in a barn...), I bought it. The sellers said me it was on an early 1933 French tudor model B Ford.

Perhaps, if you put model AF head on an model A or B engine, you could start it ( very strong CR and maybe piston interferences ). But it's quite different with a model BF head. I'm pretty sure studs have a few different locations. But above all, water holes are bigger near the slant valves because of smaller combustion chamber than others engines. Spark plugs are in a recess.

Someone said me : it's an old rusty engine, it have lot of water around ports, increased airflow, so try to change it to a 4 intake ports and 2 exhaust ports engine with a new special camshaft... Dreamers...

But if Tod makes an HC BF head at a sweet price...

Last edited by Gabalus; 04-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #29
Gabalus

I take some pictures ( rusty BF head) with my phone but I can't put them on the barn. Can I send them to someone who put them here ?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 AM   #30
Ed Saniewski

Vince, were the valves themselves smaller then a Model A valve?

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 AM   #31
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Below are the pics of the Ford Model BF head sent to me by Gabulus.
Note the small diameter of the cylinder bore and ramped/cast flycut, and the spark plug placement.

Also note the completely different placement of the valve pockets, achieved by rotating the valve angles toward the piston. The valve guide bores are not parallel to the cylinder bores.

This results in completely different water jacket openings, requiring a unique head gasket. In addition the gasket openings for the combustion chamber and valves are different than A, AF, and B head gaskets. The BF head and BF gasket cannot be used on a Model A or B block, and vice-versa.

A couple photos show a Model B head gasket laying on the BF head, and you can see the complete mismatch of water jacket openings.

Yes, this would require a lot of new design work and new tooling for sure. Then there is machining. Some new programming there. For such a low-demand part the tooling would be with the least expensive material I could find (like sugar pine) and it would still require at least 30 orders to interest me. Even then, the price per is going to be at least 500 dollars each. Maybe even $600.

Tod
Old 05-06-2016, 02:01 AM   #32
Gabalus

Thank you very much for your help, forever4 ! Really !

Ed S., valves are the same. I think valves and ports are too big to have a good airflow.
Block, head and pistons are differents but all other parts seem to be the same (than B engine) except intake manifold ( smaller diameter) and alloy zenith carb.

Tod, I'm agree, it's a very little market. And, I'm not sure, CR or air flow can be improved a lot.

I'd read in a Ford bulletin (1933? 1934?) that they asked to cut/grind the angle betwen flycut and combustion chamber, on 1932 BF engine, to create a better airflow.

Last edited by Gabalus; 05-06-2016 at 01:38 PM.