Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
gdmn852

Default Boiling hydraulic conversion

Hello, does anyone know what master and wheel cylinders are used on this conversion? I believe this is what is on a Model A I recently bought and now trying to solve brake problems with it. Thank you.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Boiling hydraulic conversion

See if what you have looks like what is on their web site.
http://bolingbrothers.com/brake-kits-model-a/
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:11 PM   #3
700rpm

Oh, it’s Boling, not Boiling. I couldn’t figure out what the original question was!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
gdmn852

Hello again,either my mistake or spellcheck in title,The kit does look like what is on the car .Personally I would have rebuilt the mechanical system,at $3900 could change out about and part it has and it would be correct .But does anyone know the year and model cylinders are from? I would assume Ford or Lincoln as it uses 12 inch Lincoln drums.Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
gdmn852

I see another post on brakes mentioned a 1953 Ford Truck master cylinder,from pictures of it looks to be the same should had 1 inch 1/16 bore .
Old 06-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

If your brakes look like the ones in the link, they are repros of 46-48 Lincoln, and the normal m/cyl. size is 1". 39-48 Ford brakes are the same 12" size, and same m/cyl. Lincolns are Bendix brakes with the adjuster at the bottom, adjusted with a brake spoon or screwdriver. Ford brakes are Wagner and have 2 rather large adjuster bolts on the back side of the brake assy., they need an 11/16" wrench to adjust. I recommend DOT 5 fluid as it repels water, so no rust-out of the cylinders.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
GeneBob

Jim, you bring up a good point on the DOT 5 but beware. DOT 5 is silicone based so it attacks almost nothing, including your paint. It does, however, hold onto bubbles more than traditional brake fluid. So, when bleeding your brakes, do not get overly aggressive about pumping the brake pedal as you may foam the fluid. Slightly slower steady strokes helps. Once you have bubbles in the fluid, you will need time to let them coalesce to bleed them out.
BTW, if you spill traditional brake fluid on surfaces that you don't want damaged, immediately get water on it as the water mixes with the brake fluid and slows its attack on paint, rubber, whatever so you can remove it with more water. (Be careful not to get water into your brake system.)
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
Hello, does anyone know what master and wheel cylinders are used on this conversion? I believe this is what is on a Model A I recently bought and now trying to solve brake problems with it. Thank you.
If you go to the "Boling Bros/MT" web site, toward the bottom of the left hand column is a section labeled as: "Brakes-Replacement Parts".

If you'll click on that, both front and rear replacement cylinders are shown with sizes noted, such as FRONTS...1-1/8". REARS...1" bore.

I was able to tentatively determine that ORIGINAL '39-'42 Zeps did use a 1-1/8" bore cylinder on the fronts, so a M/C choice for your repros would likely be the same as original.

As you MAY have noted, "Boling Bros/MT" does not supply a M/C with their kits. I was able to TENTATIVELY determine that original '39-'42 Lincoln Zeps used a 1-1/16" M/C, which is the SAME diameter as was stock on '39-'48 Ford passenger cars.

I wouldn't use "DOT 5" fluid in my coaster wagon. It "foams" (minute air bubbles) too easily. In fact, that is exactly why 'big three' types don't use DOT 5 in today's "anti-skid" brake systems. DD

Brakes-replacement parts
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
Bob C

The master cylinder they have for the Model A does use a 1 1/16" M/C.
http://www.bolingbrothers.com/model-...-box-assembly/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolingmc.jpg (27.4 KB, 18 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
Jim Brierley

GeneBob, You bring up a good point, however I have never had a problem wit aeration. I worked for LAPD in the 70's when they converted from DOT-3 to DOT-5, we flushed out the -3 and put in -5, and also never had a problem. The result was a big savings in maintenance. Not affecting paint is another plus.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
gdmn852

Hello thank you for the replies, started to work on the Model A brakes,first thing I noticed that all the brakes had to be backed off on adjustment,they were rubbing on drums , the wheel cylinders didn’t seem to be leaking and moved freely ,Master cylinder also is good no leaks and holds pressure. Also checked related items wheel bearings seals etc.Car has a lot of work done on it.Reassembled ,reset the brakes correctly and road tested brakes working now without dragging I don’t think whoever set it up before did it correctly. As for the silicone brake fluid I use that in my 49 for a few years with success may change Model A over before winter. Thanks again Gary