Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default It is with great sadness I must inform all of you of the passing of Doc

I have just received notice of the passing of Hans (DOC) Kalinka last night., This hobby has truly lost one of the great legends. A man so dedicated to this hobby, to early cars, to restoration to helping everyone and anyone. So much has been learned about Model A's from him and his research that many of us with E28 would never have known. I am honored to have been able to be his friend. We mourn the loss of a wonderful man today from our hobby, may his spirt be remembered and may he rest in peace. Our sincere condolences to Alice and his entire family...
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe

Last edited by msmaron; 07-09-2016 at 09:09 AM.
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: It is with great sadness I must inform all of you of the passing of Doc

That is indeed sad news. Sadly, at my age, I am seeing more and more of the 'institutions' I grew up with, pass. Victor Page, Murry Fahnstock, Lorin Sorenson, etc. - and now 'Doc'.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: It is with great sadness I must inform all of you of the passing of Doc

Our hobby has lost a great oracle. May God rest his soul in Heaven.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

My sincere condolences to family and friends. RIP...........

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
dlshady

Terrible news. I have a letter sitting here on my desk addressed to him that I've been putting off sending because I wanted to include some photos that I need to get printed.

Even as a youngster I enjoyed reading his column in Model A News and always looked forward to the next issue to see what nifty tidbits I could learn about the early cars. His contributions to the hobby are too numerous to count, especially to those of us who have an interest in the early cars.

Rest in peace Doc, and thanks for all you shared.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
dean from bozeman

During high school in the late sixties, I would read and reread Doc's articles about the early Model A's and how they were so different than most A's. Later I met Doc at Hershey and saw A495 for the first time at his swap space.

To prepare for seeing A495 I reread all of Doc's articles that I had photocopied. When talking with Doc at that first meeting I used the term AR and he said that if I used it again he would kick me in the shin. Eventually I learned to use the phrases "early Model A's", ve28 and e28 and Doc and I became good friends.

After buying A495 I wrote Doc a letter asking him to be my technical adviser during the restoration. He accepted and became an invaluable resource.

We talked many times on the phone during the years and Doc would always pronounce my Polish last name with a German twist, e.g. Von Drewronzek. Doc didn't use the Internet so we only had the telephone, drawings and snail mail.

Doc, was the first of many to stress that the details make or break a fine point restoration. It was his attention to A495's detail that was so critical and proved to be so valuable.

Visiting Doc "On the Hill" in Chilton was amazing and a dream I had for years. It was there that I learned about so many of the details specific to the early A's. It was also there that I saw my first Henry Award "proudly displayed" in the basement bathroom!!

Doc was a charismatic man, who loved to talk about the hobby and his beloved early A's. I will miss him but rest assured that he, in a way, lives on in A495 and other restorations that he helped with. I truly believe that people live on when we emulate what they did. So since Doc was an ve28 and e28 pioneer (note, I did not say AR) and a pillar of our hobby, we can honor him by doing what he did: help others in this hobby learn about details and pass on his enthusiasm for the Model A.

Rest in Peace my friend, Doc. I hope that where you are at you can find a low mileage, three digit car in a barn. I look forward to reading those articles.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 07-09-2016 at 09:41 AM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
jb-ob

For many of us 'Doc's' Wednesday evening brat cook outs either at Hershey or at National Meets was where we re-united with distant friends and made new ones.

Doc wrote over 100 articles for the Model A News, probably the first thing most of us read when the magazine arrived. We have lost a great mentor.

I suspect Doc is now in endless conversation with his long friend Roy Nelson and the jovial company of Steve Ciccalone, Dave Cellia, and Dave Lopes.

It's now our turn to keep the magic of the Model A Ford and our hobby alive.

Jim Brand
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Jim Mason

I miss my friend...
Old 07-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
fordcoupe

A living library of information of the early 28s has closed Condolences to his family
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
Joe K

I never met Doc, but I was (am) sure to read any of his articles I happen across. His acumen and understanding of Ford production techniques and changes is without critique.

Someone should collect all his known research and put it together into a single book.

"Kalinka on Ford Model A."

Certainly a legacy he has left for us. A lifetime of careful observation, research and thought. And as book it would become part of the information trail for those who follow.

Condolences to the family.

Joe K
Old 07-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

This is indeed sad news. I have had the good fortune of being a guest at Doc's home several times over the years where he would allow me to enter his basement where he (re)stored all of his treasures for a look around. Even though Doc's memory was starting to fade in the last couple of years, it was still fun for me to be on the receiving end of his harassing phone calls with his funny humor and equally funny threats. I'm definitely gonna miss his knowledge & wisdom.

While we are thinking about Doc's family, let's also lift up Bill Sturm who was Doc's Model-A running buddy for many years. Those two traveled the roads together for years attending JSC meetings, swap meets, and national meets helping many fellow hobbyists.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

spoke with Bill also this am and he like the rest of us were sad to hear the news.. Here is a shot of Doc, sitting at his chair in French Lick for his swap...Always the character!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doc2.jpg (23.3 KB, 323 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe

Last edited by msmaron; 07-09-2016 at 10:47 AM.
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

So sad to hear that once again we have lost one of the greats. I've bought some mint original parts from Doc, and he was always so helpful with restoration questions. The National Meets and Iola sure won't be the same without Doc set up. RIP Doc until we meet again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #14
RockHillWill

I spent one morning with Bill last month while discussing some metal shaping needs for the radiator tank and rear fender for his Auburn boat tail speedster, and we chatted for quite some time about Doc, who used to come over to Bills when I was there just so we could trade 'goat' stories. I had a very special story about a 100 MPH goat that I am wanted badly to share with Doc, but Bill was certain that Doc was not in much of a visiting mood at that time. I loved those Brat 'adventures' as well. He always made me bring some buns, and I will miss the manner in which they were requested. I would in return kid him by telling him to make sure that he washed his hands all the way up to his elbow, LOL!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #15
Ron in Quincy

Very sad to hear of Doc passing. We have been friends for many years dating back when he and Fred Gooding restored A241 a Very Early 28 Roadster. I finally met him in person at the Grand Rapids National Meet. As Dean D. said we had many telephone conversations and letters to one another during my restoration of A1276 and matters regarding the Early 28. My he RIP.
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #16
Midwest Tin

I'm also very sad to hear of the passing of Doc. I will miss his vast knowledge & wisdom. Enjoyed reading all of his articles in the Model A New. My condolences to his family and friends.

Jim Sinclair
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #17
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Very sad news.
I never met him, but he sounds like a wonderful man.
I looked forward to reading his articles in each Model A News. That was my first place to go.
Condolences to his family.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #18
BadgerA

I was very fortunate to live fairly close to Doc and met with him at his home on multiple occasions. When I was restoring my 28 Roadster I tapped into his vast knowledge bank for advice on many things during that process. He knew the car well as he had provided many original parts for it when it was still at Bill's shop and after it became my prized possession. When passing by his home during the course of my job I will miss turning into 'the cave". It was tough for him physically and mentally over these last couple of years but Doc was a believer and is now free of the mental and physical maladies that plaque us all as we grow older. I will miss him!
BadgerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Another significant loss to our hobby! May his soul rest in peace! Our thoughts and prayers are extended to his family and friends! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #20
al's28/33

Rest in Peace Doc........... I too have most older RESTORER articles written by him and I am thankful for his research. Condolences to his family.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote