Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2021, 12:28 AM   #21
yblock57

Default Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post
Yblock57, that distributor looks pretty rough. Don't you think that nice truck deserves something better?

Ted Eaton recently tested a CRT Performance electronic distributor for Y-blocks. Although they're made in China, he could not fault it. It has a mechanical tach drive for 55-57 Tbirds, but also provisions for hooking up an electric tach. It also has an adjustable vacuum advance. Expect to pay about $250/w free shipping. They may have one without the mechanical tach drive that's even cheaper.

Lots of good stuff can be found at y-blocksforever.com, and Ted is very good about replying to email.

Read that thread the other day on that forum. Didn’t realize they were that affordable. If this one doesn’t clean up & check out well I’ll definitely consider CRT.

Thanks for the info.

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:00 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Question Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

... un-believable...

Everyone is crying about the quality of replacement parts and then buy a CHI-COM knock-off GM HEI dist and carb.

Do me a favor. The distributor you have is very desirable. If you decide to go YELLOW RIVER on your build advertise it so someone can use it.

The intake manifold carb pad just needs a kiss. The machinist will realize this hopefully. All you want is a flat surface so there are no vacuum leaks.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-09-2021 at 03:35 AM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:34 AM   #23
Crankster

That was an excellent distributor design, though with long use the hardened steel pins on those "comma" shaped weights often show heavy flat wear spots where they fit into the reluctor slots, and also elongated reluctor slots. This causes erratic ignition advance. This is on top of excessive bushing and/or shaft wear, be sure to check for this. If running points it is especially important that wear tolerances are within spec.

Some of the parts are getting hard to find, I rebuilt one and it was like pulling teeth to find some of the parts. Dennis Carpenter had a pretty good stock of the weights but they weren't listed on their website (I think they have a fair amount of NOS parts, but you have to ask). The reluctor is practically a Unicorn part, it is possible to braze up the slots and file them back square.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #24
yblock57

Default Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

Surprisingly enough, this one is showing that exact wear you described. Should I shop around for another or would you attempt to rebuild this one?

https://youtu.be/InJN9nGog1Q

Excuse my ignorance. First time I’ve dug this deep into a strib.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by yblock57; 11-09-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #25
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
... un-believable...

Everyone is crying about the quality of replacement parts and then buy a CHI-COM knock-off GM HEI dist and carb.

Do me a favor. The distributor you have is very desirable. If you decide to go YELLOW RIVER on your build advertise it so someone can use it.

The intake manifold carb pad just needs a kiss. The machinist will realize this hopefully. All you want is a flat surface so there are no vacuum leaks.

Yellow River… Ha! Thanks for the reminder. I’ll do my best to resist the communist temptation. Prefer to keep everything period correct. I’ll have the shop clean that pad up on the manifold.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #26
Crankster

That one doesn't look too bad, compared to some I've seen. But that isn't saying much, considering how worn they often are. It probably depends how picky you are, how advanced your ODC might be.

The distributor is absolutely critical to a smooth idle, good power, and all around fine running machine. Another consideration is when running points, it is important that the distributor cam lobes are clean and perfectly smooth or even polished. Also check for distributor shaft sideplay. If you can detect any slop with your fingers it's probably too much.

Unfortunately what I found, when the distributor bushing is excessively worn, so is the steel distributor shaft, so bushing replacement alone isn't enough to bring it into acceptable limits. Excessive mechanical wear, sideplay, worn or pitted cam lobes, distributor gear backlash, all of these defects "stack up" and generally plays hell with the timing curve, contact points, "cam wobble", you'll pull your hair out trying to get the same dwell reading twice in a row.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #27
KULTULZ

Post Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance. First time I’ve dug this deep into a strib.
It is not ignorance, just being mis-lead by others. If I am going to drive a FORD, I want a FORD.

What you have is a 57/59 DIST and the service parts are getting hard to come by. But this was the better of designs as it allowed a more stable dwell. There were four generations of the FYB DUALING ADVANCE DIST. If I was doing what you are doing, I would try and fine one from a 63/64 292 truck engine. Much easier to restore (parts) and make modifications (IMO).

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-09-2021 at 09:59 AM. Reason: BECAUSE I AM GOOD AT IT
Old 11-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #28
KULTULZ

Wink Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

Quote:
It probably depends how picky you are, how advanced your ODC might be.
That's CDO for correct alphabetical order ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #29
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

- When Must Have The Best -

- CLICK URL BELOW -

Study - https://4secondsflat.com/Ford%20Y-Bl...stributors.htm

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-09-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #30
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

PARTS BREAKDOWN of SINGLE PLATE DIST -

Ah... We have the IMG DISAPPEARING SYNDROME raising it's head once again ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIST DESIGN _1 - 1957-59 SGL Plate Dual Advance.jpg (66.6 KB, 8 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-09-2021 at 05:48 PM. Reason: RE-ATTACH ILL
Old 11-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #31
scicala

Quote:
Yblock57, that distributor looks pretty rough. Don't you think that nice truck deserves something better?

Ted Eaton recently tested a CRT Performance electronic distributor for Y-blocks. Although they're made in China, he could not fault it. It has a mechanical tach drive for 55-57 Tbirds, but also provisions for hooking up an electric tach. It also has an adjustable vacuum advance. Expect to pay about $250/w free shipping. They may have one without the mechanical tach drive that's even cheaper.

Lots of good stuff can be found at y-blocksforever.com, and Ted is very good about replying to email.
Why spend the money. His is fixable.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #32
Crankster

Here is an older webpage (last updated way back yonder in 2004) which discussed these particular distributors and alerted me to the specific wear problems. I found he knew exactly what he was talking about! He explains setting up the advance curve, too.

http://m571.com/yblock/distributortuning.htm

It gets complicated quickly rebuilding FYB distributors because of the different parts they used depending on the iteration. If a replacement distributor shaft is necessary, they are unobtanium except the particular type as discussed here, with the "comma" shaped centrifugal weights. N.b. these are not drilled for the drive gear, and it needs to be precisely located.

The ball bearing style plates are still available, or, you could use the later type, which were also problematic. Ford also (naturally) changed the housings somewhere in there, which governs what type Vacuum Canister (which they also changed) will fit, depending on the housing or breaker plate. The earlier style vacuum advance used a fiber spacer, a spring, and shims (washers) for the advance curve, and connected it all with steel hardline with a special type of compression fitting.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #33
yblock57

Quote:
It is not ignorance, just being mis-lead by others. If I am going to drive a FORD, I want a FORD.

What you have is a 57/59 DIST and the service parts are getting hard to come by. But this was the better of designs as it allowed a more stable dwell. There were four generations of the FYB DUALING ADVANCE DIST. If I was doing what you are doing, I would try and fine one from a 63/64 292 truck engine. Much easier to restore (parts) and make modifications (IMO).
Interesting. Learn something new every day. I thought there was just one change from the '56 & older loadamatic style to the later '57-up with the mechanical advance.

I'd like to try and fix this one, but can feel some side-to-side play in the shaft.

Can you provide any details on the '63—'64 strib? Like what to look for or any identifying features?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #34
yblock57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Here is an older webpage (last updated way back yonder in 2004) which discussed these particular distributors and alerted me to the specific wear problems. I found he knew exactly what he was talking about! He explains setting up the advance curve, too.

http://m571.com/yblock/distributortuning.htm

It gets complicated quickly rebuilding FYB distributors because of the different parts they used depending on the iteration. If a replacement distributor shaft is necessary, they are unobtanium except the particular type as discussed here, with the "comma" shaped centrifugal weights. N.b. these are not drilled for the drive gear, and it needs to be precisely located.

The ball bearing style plates are still available, or, you could use the later type, which were also problematic. Ford also (naturally) changed the housings somewhere in there, which governs what type Vacuum Canister (which they also changed) will fit, depending on the housing or breaker plate. The earlier style vacuum advance used a fiber spacer, a spring, and shims (washers) for the advance curve, and connected it all with steel hardline with a special type of compression fitting.
Thanks for all the helpful info. Bookmarked the link.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #35
55blacktie

I fully support buying American-made products, but where do you think the replacement parts for a Ford distributor come from? The OP will have a difficult time just finding a condenser that works.

I also doubt that anyone posting does not have items in his home that were made in China. Sometimes you have to face reality. We can't return to the 50s.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #36
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

Quote:

I fully support buying American-made products, but where do you think the replacement parts for a Ford distributor come from? The OP will have a difficult time just finding a condenser that works.

I also doubt that anyone posting does not have items in his home that were made in China. Sometimes you have to face reality. We can't return to the 50s.

Damn I hate to reply to this post ...

No you don't. Your first response was CHI-COM which is a GM HEI spin-off (copy in fact) with electronic components which fail regularly. Try and warranty one. Nice thing about them is they readily accept AC-DELCO replacement parts. But that is how CHI-COM works, steal another's technology.

Most anything one will need for the distributor being discussed will be NOS. The points are readily available from FORD. Points and cond are old tech. PERTRONIX is the way out (IMO)

I will face reality when they come in and make English a 2nd language (which is not that far away) (well, actually it is now).

The reason(s) most product is made off-shore is an unfriendly business atmosphere here.

If this country ever has to go to full war again, it will collapse over-nite.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #37
KULTULZ

Post Re: Y-block ‘B’ intake manifold question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblock57 View Post

I'd like to try and fix this one, but can feel some side-to-side play in the shaft.

Can you provide any details on the '63—'64 strib? Like what to look for or any identifying features?
The bushing can be replaced. If you don't want to go ahead with what you have -

The 63/64 is 292 truck only -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIST - C3TF-12127- _1.jpg (30.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DIST - C3TF-12127 -K .- 3FB _1.jpg (192.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DIST - C3TF-12127 -K .- 3FB _3.jpg (23.7 KB, 7 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #38
yblock57

Quote:
The bushing can be replaced. If you don't want to go ahead with what you have -

The 63/64 is 292 truck only -

Appreciate the pics & knowledge shared.

Will do some more digging on this unit before any other decisions are made. Lucky to be in no rush as the stock setup is still working fine. Want all the parts ready to go before any disassembly starts.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #39
55blacktie

I'm pretty sure that 59-up distributors do not use the ball-bearing plate, and the vacuum-advance arm is straight, not curved as found on earlier distributors.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #40
yblock57

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that 59-up distributors do not use the ball-bearing plate, and the vacuum-advance arm is straight, not curved as found on earlier distributors.

Good to know