Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #21
VeryTangled

Default Re: Cosidering juice brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I'd suggest getting those original cable brakes working good and leave it original.
JM 35 is a good one for knowing how these systems were built to work and how to make them work again.

I speculate fixing what you have is less headache than switching.

Vendors here on the 'Barn will be able to help with real ford parts.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:46 PM   #22
Rodrelic

All I can think of is the western NY weather and salted roads, parking brake was the common obstacle to inspection. I cannot imagine cable brakes working well back in the day, even without salt.
I have acquired the cable brake parts but never considered trying them even for a good weather car. That said every year my brakes hydraulic brakes are tight and have to work at making them loose in the spring before use. Exercise makes it all smooth out.
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #23
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrelic View Post
All I can think of is the western NY weather and salted roads, parking brake was the common obstacle to inspection. I cannot imagine cable brakes working well back in the day, even without salt.
I have acquired the cable brake parts but never considered trying them even for a good weather car. That said every year my brakes hydraulic brakes are tight and have to work at making them loose in the spring before use. Exercise makes it all smooth out.

I'm guessing 99% of us are not getting up at 6:30am in January to warm up a flathead to go to work. Even no matter the climate.

Seems like just a naysayer post without experience. Exercise makes it all smooth out I guess..... Salt rusts everything.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:35 PM   #24
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I'm guessing 99% of us are not getting up at 6:30am in January to warm up a flathead to go to work. Even no matter the climate.

Seems like just a naysayer post without experience. Exercise makes it all smooth out I guess..... Salt rusts everything.
What's your experience with cable brake Fords? My first V8 was a 37 Ford coupe with cable brakes. Rear cables were rusted solid. My Dad, a mechanic all his life wouldn't let me drive it until I put Hydraulics on it. That was my first Hydraulic brake conversion at 14 years old working in my dads shop.
I've done a lot of them since and now 69 years later I just finished converting my 36 pickup, Works great.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #25
Tinker

Like I mentioned my 38 before and after.

Ran a little model A with mechanical rods. Ran great. Everyone has a different experience, do what you need.

But like I mentioned it looks like a well maintained car. Maybe it's not all rusted to sh!t.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28.jpg (74.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 05-30-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:10 PM   #26
Will D

I've got a '38 fordor with stock cable brakes. They work great, never had any issues. Adjust them right and your good to go or stop.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #27
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
What's your experience with cable brake Fords? My first V8 was a 37 Ford coupe with cable brakes. Rear cables were rusted solid. My Dad, a mechanic all his life wouldn't let me drive it until I put Hydraulics on it. That was my first Hydraulic brake conversion at 14 years old working in my dads shop.
I've done a lot of them since and now 69 years later I just finished converting my 36 pickup, Works great.
Bill
Well, it sounds like your only cable brake experience was a shrug of your shoulders as you removed them to obey your father. Many of us have known both mechanical and juice brakes, and do speak with experience. Mine has been a positive experience with cables, but with numerous memories of juice brake failures.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:24 PM   #28
Tinker

Yikes. I respect all opinions. All good. To each their own. I try to follow threads throughout, not just the last thing posted.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-01-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:34 PM   #29
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Well, it sounds like your only cable brake experience was a shrug of your shoulders as you removed them to obey your father. Many of us have known both mechanical and juice brakes, and do speak with experience. Mine has been a positive experience with cables, but with numerous memories of juice brake failures.
I have been a mechanic and worked in shops and Ford dealers since I was 14 years old.That's about 69 years experience. I have a lot of experience freeing up and changing frozen brake cables. Why do you think ford only used them for two years?
And where did you get your experience?
Bill
Old 05-30-2021, 11:36 PM   #30
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
I have been a mechanic and worked in shops and Ford dealers since I was 14 years old.That's about 69 years experience. I have a lot of experience freeing up and changing frozen brake cables. Why do you think ford only used them for two years?
And where did you get your experience?
Bill

Bill, ford used mechanical brakes longer then 2 years. Everything before 1939. Cable 32 up.

Bless you. I hope you have a nice day tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:49 PM   #31
bbrocksr

Quote:
Bill, ford used mechanical brakes longer then 2 years. Everything before 1939. Cable 32 up.

Bless you. I hope you have a nice day tomorrow.
Tinker, I said cable brakes 37 & 38,

Rods through 36, cable 37 &38, hydraulic 39 & up.

Same to you Tinker.
Bill
Old 05-31-2021, 12:13 AM   #32
Tinker

All good. But it would be hard to say every well running car "had" to convert because. We should just put radial tires, disc brakes, and a sbc in too.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-31-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:34 AM   #33
bbrocksr

Quote:
All good. But it would be hard to say every well running car "had" to convert because. We should just put radial tires, disc brakes, and a sbc in too.
You're right, Every body is entitled to their opinion, It's their car they can do what they want. If they ask for advice you should give it to them and not have to be put down for it.

Bill
Old 05-31-2021, 12:36 AM   #34
Tinker

Sounds good. What is the point of it all in restoring a vehicle if every time we just upgrade it to the newer thing. Opinion or option. Have a good night Bill. I respect your opinion.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-31-2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:54 AM   #35
ford38v8

Strong opinions on the subject, which is very understandable as there are as many horror stories as there are success stories on both cable and juice. Old Henry was forced to give in and go hydraulic to stay competitive in the marketplace, but had he not refused to pay license fees for the Bendix system, he might have been able to prove the advantages of cables. The floaters for '37-'38 cables do just that, blending the Bendix with the cables, the best of both systems.

Every system needs maintenance, and fortunately for us today, there are superior lubrication products available that prevent cables from freezing up almost indefinitely. As for hydraulics, moisture attracted to the juice means rust and leaks, so the cure for that is usually silicone fluid, so with more research than heresay, a guy can make his own informed decision.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #36
Fred A

In 1964 my dad was out of town working. A perfect opportunity for me to buy a '40 coupe without my dad's supervision. Upon my dad's return, he inspected the acquisition and instructed me to park it until I could get some Lincoln/Bendix brakes all around. Luckily '41 Lincolns were still abundant in the junk yards. Not an absolute bolt on, but after some minor fitting to the '40 front spindles and some custom parking brake cables and some smaller rear wheel cylinders, I had the best brakes available at that time. I have not had the problems with rust and other exaggerations blamed on hydraulic brakes. Those tales have a core of truth but are presented as a scare story to make a point. I have owned a '38 and the cable brakes were not obviously poor but compared to the performance of the Bendix designs, they are a great novelty. It reminds me of driving a crash-box Model A and enjoying the challenge of a smooth shift. I might enjoy the novelty of the cable brakes. In the brutality of LA traffic, that novelty would wear thin very quickly. My current '40 project has been fitted with real Bendix brakes largely as nostalgia. Ford/Lockheed brakes are probably OK but I can afford my preferences. Have Fun: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #37
Ford Freak

Quote:
Well, I have radial tires on my coupe, and I don't have a problem w/disc brakes on vintage Ford's. But, the sbc is where I draw the line. That is a mortal sin! lol
That will never happen to any of my Ford's-not as long as I own them!- F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #38
blucar

When I purchased my '36 coupe in 1952 from the original owner the odometer showed 51k and it was dead stock. The original owner had purchased a new '52 Ford and had intentions of selling the '36 to a junk yard, mainly because of the mechanical brakes.
Think about this: All American vehicles built from 1940 on have hydraulic brakes. Is this because someone in the government owned stock in the hydraulic brake company's or was it for safety reasons?
In my case, I told the owner of the '36 that I would convert the brakes on the '36 to hydraulic using a '41 as the supply for parts, he sold me the '36 for $125.
I lived in Idaho at the time, traffic was light and the car stopped very well. In 1956 I moved to Los Angeles, CA, the '36 was my daily transportation to and from work, which on some days required a commute of over a hundred miles. In 1962 I did some major work on the '36, one of which was converting the brakes to '42-48 with '39 drums and the stock wheels. The later model brakes were a big improvement over the '39-41 style.
In reality, the original Ford mechanical brakes did a good job, however, that was 'then' when traffic was light and 45 mph was the normal highway speed.
Traffic now almost travels at the speed of light, residential speeds are very commonly 40 mph or higher, traffic conditions can change in the wink of an eye. I changed the brakes and suspension on my '39 convertible coupe to disk and rack-pinion, during the nine years I have had the car operational I have had two occasions when I had to do a panic stop because of some jerk flying through traffic on a residential street. My modern brakes and suspension help me avoid a major accident.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #39
36coupe

I have the original mechanic brakes on my 38. I’m told that mechanical brakes need to have the softer woven brake shoes material to work best. The shoes look like new when I got the car six years ago
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #40
VeryTangled

Mech brakes never puke or need bleeding or seals/fluid replaced. Let it sit 20 years and that's still true.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-05-2021 at 05:36 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote