Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #21
Gary Karr

Default Re: Frame welting application

You are correct. The rubber pads are tacked to the bottom side of the body blocks and sit on top of the frame. Any shims would also go between the body block and the frame.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #22
lake_harley

Thanks! And one last question (hopefully) so I completely have the mounting scheme, there's just a rubber pad between the last mounting point and the wood block at the rear crossmember? I'm talking about the long, slim body block located at the rear crossmember "ear".

But, forward of that, it's frame/welting/fender and splash apron/pad/wood body block/shims (as and if necessary) all topped off with the body. If that's correct, I think I finally have a mental picture of the assembly. I learn by picturing things, either in reality like a photo or diagram, or mentally, in my mind. Thanks for bearing with me!

Lynn

Last edited by lake_harley; 08-22-2020 at 01:01 PM.
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Brent, It's interesting that you choose to criticize Marco's knowledge by using a single post extracted from a thread that is more than 10 years old and was made on the Old Fordbarn Forum, which can't even be accessed anymore to see what else might have been said at the time. At the same time, the challenged comments you made in the above linked threads, with regard to the frame welting being glued to both the fender and the apron, and not the frame, which were questioned at the time, you have yet to respond to. Care to elaborate now?

Randy, you are trolling!! I said nothing in my post above that criticizes Marco! Marco is someone I have a huge respect for, and he likely has more Model-A knowledge right now than I ever will (-and I have been involved in Model-As for 60 years and have been hands-on in the restoration of over 150 Model-As.)!

Now the facts are there often are times where two restorers have differing opinions as to what they believe to be authentically correct. I know Marco well enough to know he did not post some random information without him researching it first to obtain his answer. I simply posted that my research had a different answer than his, ...and I chose to substantiate mine using copies of prints that I obtained from the Benson Library. This is not the only instance where I have found verifiable information that counters what other knowledgeable restorers have stated, -or even what is published in the Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards.

Now with regard to me not posting that picture to substantiate my claim, it was YOU that actually gave me the reason for not posting that picture back then, ...and with your above comments, the very same reason still applies. You see, I have spent many hours/days/trips researching at the Benson Library looking for such information. Additionally, I have spent my own money on travel to/from, & lodging while there, and I purchased the picture itself from the library. This very image is available for anyone that wants to do the same things as I did to obtain it. The issue for me is, it is people that take my efforts and copy it for their own collection without providing any effort or contribution back. Therefore, I am choosing not to publicly post my picture since the risk of piracy is not worth the reward of validation to me at this time. FWIW, I have shown that very picture to guests in my office for their review, and I would not have any issue privately showing it to a guest. So as I stated above, if you (-or anyone else) choose to disagree with my statements, that is perfectly acceptable to me however my attitude will be 'whatever' until you can prove my statement is incorrect.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote