Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
lake_harley

Default Headlight Question

I'm new to Model A's and have a question about headlights. I believe my '31 Coupe might have "commercial" headlights on it currently. I think I read that passenger Model A's had 9" headlights and commercial lights were 9 1/4" or 9 1/2". Is that correct? I forget at the moment what mine measured, but is the dimension the over-all outside diameter, trim ring and all, or is it measured to the inside diameter of the trim ring, basically the diameter of the lens showing?

Since I'm asking about headlights, I'm planning to convert to 12V positive ground for a variety of reasons. How difficult is it to convert to something like a H4 bulb? Can it be done with parts available at a NAPA or Auto Zone, or is it a specialized kit that needs to be sourced from one of the Model A suppliers?

Thanks, in advance!

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Headlight Question

The headlight buckets and trim rings were identical between commercial and passenger vehicles. The only difference is that the passenger buckets were stainless and the commercial buckets were regular steel.

I would strongly suggest you convert to 12 volt negative ground so you can use all of the modern electronics. What are your reasons for wanting to go to positive ground?

Resilver your original reflectors (do not chrome them) or buy your reflectors from Brattons because they have the BEST and to the best of my knowledge have not released them to other retailers. Note that older reproduction reflectors were often not the correct shape and did not focus. Go to Ron Francis, Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940 for their "Brite" (their spelling) headlight bulbs. They go right into the original sockets.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
lake_harley

Charlie....Thank you for the info. Answers to all my questions in one nice post!

The "positive" ground was a mistake. I actually meant to say "negative ground" but I guess my mind was not present at the time.

Thanks

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

One more thought. If your bulb sockets can be restored (new wires, maybe a little straightening) do so. All of the reproductions that I know of are junk.

If anyone knows of a good source for reproduction bulb sockets I wish they would post it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
Badpuppy

The ones I got from Snyder's are made in Korea, but they seem to be pretty good.

But yeah, if you have originals, restore them if at all possible.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote