Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
lake_harley

Default Ansen Brake Conversion

I've found older threads that contain discussion of the Ansen hydraulic brake conversion kits that were sold years ago for Model A's as well as other Ford cars with mechanical brakes. I have a '31 Coupe I hope to get started on soon and am interested in duplicating the Ansen conversion. Usually the suggestion is to do the conversion using '39 and later parts, but I'd really like to do the hydraulic conversion using the A backing plates and drums. Perhaps I'm just a glutton for punishment, wanting to duplicate the conversion, but if the kits were sold for years by Ansen they must have been somewhat effective.

Anyway.....I'm interested in finding out more about what the conversion consisted of in some detail by hopefully finding someone who has the conversion on a car and either has photos that would show details, or if anywhere nearby where I live, I would really love to see the conversion in person. I have seen several photos that have been helpful in some posts I've found on this and other forums, but I hope to minimize the amount of "reinvention of the wheel" needed by studying an existing conversion.
I have access to machining and fabrication equipment and know how to use it pretty well. It just doesn't seem the conversion would be all that major of an undertaking.

My '31 Coupe will have a slightly "warmed up" original 4-banger engine, and I hope to convert to a 3-speed + overdrive transmission (Ford Pickup RTS170) to make the A more capable of "highway speeds" so I also want to upgrade the brakes too.

Thanks, in advance!

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
TinCup

Default Re: Ansen Brake Conversion

I think the HAMB is your best option here.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Boy, I've been diddling with A's, B's and hot rods since the late 50's and the only thing I remember about Ansen and brakes were their "hanging" pedals. I'm also interested in more info just from a learning stand point.
There are conversion kits available but they use 39-48 components except the MT pieces that simulate the Lincoln"s.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
lake_harley

Just a FYI....here's a link from the HAMB with an old ad from Ansen. Scroll down to post #539. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-10944737

TinCup....some of the info I found was indeed on the HAMB. In fact that's where I first heard of the kits by Ansen. Someone posted a photo of "unknown brakes" and they were identified as an Ansen conversion. I've been obsessed with duplicating the kit for my '31 ever since. Foolhardy to many, but a page out of the past that's mostly forgotten or overlooked. I see no reason converting A brakes to hydraulic can't be effective, especially if it worked years ago.

Lynn

Last edited by lake_harley; 02-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
brokenspoke

I would think the mounting of the master cyl will destroy your gas tank..If you go to the HAMB and check the monthly banger meet...At the beginning of each month is a list of banger topics....check out the section on brakes....there is a post of what I did on my 29, and only had to drill one extra hole in the frame...there are several ways to have juice brakes other then Ansen
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
lake_harley

The Ansen brake conversion mounted the Master Cylinder on the crossmember I believe. The mount for a MC on the firewall is something that Ansen manufactured(probably others too), but isn't part of the mechanical to hydraulic conversion. brokenspoke...... I will definitely look for your posting about brakes on the HAMB Banger Meet thread. Thanks.

Lynn
Old 02-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
Joe31

Ansen modified the A backing plates to accept chevy pickup brakes. they work really good. sorry I dont have any pics. I got the parts from Kantor in NJ. I would find another supplier, when I got home and showed a friend he paid a 1/3 the price at napa. Joe
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

lake Harley: Thanks for posting. I'll have to dig my "little" books out.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
lake_harley

Joe31...Just to see what might be available I went to my local NAPA store who let me look through the wheel cylinder selection in a catalog. I found, ordered and bought a 1 1/4" Huck cylinder which is what someone had posted a photo of on the HAMB in a discussion about the Ansen package. I bought it to do some first-hand test fitting when I get around to starting on my '31.

The other details I have either heard or think I figured out about the Ansen conversion is that the front backing plates are turned up-side-down and the wheel cylinder is mounted at the "new" top, which was the "old" bottom, where the actuating wedge mechanism was located. The strong suggestion was also made that the brakes work best if cast iron brake drums are used, rather than Model A drums which are typically steel. Someone please correct me if I have some bad info on that.

Lynn
Old 02-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Funny this should come up. There is a guy in our club that has an Ansen conversion on his '30 Deluxe Phaeton that he is in the process on redoing.

Sorry I don't know much about it. I know it has Chevy wheel cylinders and the Model A backing plates are rotated. The Ansen stickers are still on the backing plates. It has Model A steel drums with reinforcing rings. I suggested he get some cast drums from Randy.

It is at our clubs "Garage". Al's Garage is only open Saturdays. We are getting ready to install some new Ni-Copp brake lines. I will get some pictures this Saturday (2/10/2018) if that will help.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-08-2018 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added verbiage...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

I forgot to mention. We are not using the pedal setup that was on the car. It involved a bell crank system and the battery had to be mounted under the rear floor.

The new master cylinder mounts to the battery box the is now in the original position.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
lake_harley

Y-Blockhead.....some photos of the Ansen setup would be awesome. The more photos the better, especially ones that show details, and perhaps photos from various angles of the wheel cylinder mounting area and method. The only photos I've seen of the Ansen conversion have been of the front brakes. If things are apart on your friend's '30 Phaeton that you could get some photos of the rear brakes as well, that would just be icing on the cake. By the copies of the Ansen ads I've seen, it appears that something other than a "Huck" adjustable wheel cylinder might have been used on the rear brakes, but that was just my thought after seeing scans of the old ads.

I nominate you for "hero of the day"!

Lynn
Old 02-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Lynn, I got some photos of the Ansen Brakes I mentioned. PM me your email so I can send you some others. The owner took the rear backing plates home last week to clean and paint so I couldn't get photos of them... yet. As you can see the backing plates are rotated so the wheel cylinder is on top and the adjuster is on the bottom. the wheel cylinder are from a '40-49 Chevy.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
briphaeton

Here are a couple of picture of the ansen brake conversion. It looks like they cut the end off the model a brake shoe. I'm interested what they use for the emergency brake?
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ansen.jpg (58.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg anscon4.jpg (53.4 KB, 73 views)
briphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #15
1930pu

Hi, If possible I would like to see the rear backing plates with the emergency brake also, thanks
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #16
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by briphaeton View Post
Here are a couple of picture of the ansen brake conversion. It looks like they cut the end off the model a brake shoe. I'm interested what they use for the emergency brake?
Brian
I recognize the wheel cylinders,..I believe there "Huck" Chevrolet from the
late 1940's to very early 1950's..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
Bob C

NAPA still has them. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBP3406?interchange=1

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canvas.jpg (18.7 KB, 21 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
SteveB31

This is interesting. I have been in the Model A business for almost 40 years, and never heard of these. Having looked at the photos, it looks to me like you buy the wheel cylinders, remove the roller track parts off of the backing plates, install the wheel cylinders and cut down the shoes a bit. Could it be that simple?
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Lynn, I got some photos of the Ansen Brakes I mentioned. The owner took the rear backing plates home last week to clean and paint so I couldn't get photos of them... yet. As you can see the backing plates are rotated so the wheel cylinder is on top and the adjuster is on the bottom. The wheel cylinder are from a '40-49 Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
I recognize the wheel cylinders,..I believe there "Huck" Chevrolet from the late 1940's to very early 1950's..
Yes, that is what I was told.

Picture of the backside. I will try to get more pictures including the rears. They were not at the shop last Saturday. Ansen was a local SoCal business, mostly know for their slotted aluminum "mag" wheels.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-19-2018 at 10:51 PM.