Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Doug Linden

Default Recent experience with Mac's

I have read reports of troubles ordering from Mac's from other fordbarn members. But, in the spirit of hearing from others with good experience, I recently placed an order from Mac's and really have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
I needed brake linings for a brake job on my Model A. When I went on line I found I could get new shoes with linings already attached. I figured the time I saved getting the shoe complete was worth the extra expenses. I placed the order on Friday evening, got word the parts shipped on Monday morning and the parts were on my doorstep Friday. Needless to say I was very pleased.
I just figured it helps to hear the good reports as well as the negative.
Doug
Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
JDupuis

Default Re: Recent experience with Mac's

I've had no problems with Macs. But I miss the fact that they are not in Lockport anymore.
Sometimes my friends and I would make an imprompto trip over the border just to see them. Jeff
Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
barkleydave

Most vendor complaints are not the fault of the vendors. In todays supply chain and shipping industry while most of the time it is extremely efficient and fast.... the train does run off the rails at times. In almost instant purchase of goods in the world of drop shipping sends parts from all over country then arriving at your doorstep. Amazing.

The vendor even with the best intentions may never actually see or touch the product they are selling. If poor quality it is important to bring it to their attention so they can have the ability to correct the defect and find another source when possible. (Not always possible of course)
Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Linden View Post
I have read reports of troubles ordering from Mac's from other fordbarn members. But, in the spirit of hearing from others with good experience, I recently placed an order from Mac's and really have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
I needed brake linings for a brake job on my Model A. When I went on line I found I could get new shoes with linings already attached. I figured the time I saved getting the shoe complete was worth the extra expenses. I placed the order on Friday evening, got word the parts shipped on Monday morning and the parts were on my doorstep Friday. Needless to say I was very pleased.
I just figured it helps to hear the good reports as well as the negative.
Doug
Thanks for the report Doug. Its nice to hear good things about our vendors.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
5window

Couple this with the recent great post about Bert's and I think we're ready for a good Spring.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
olut

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I own three Model A´s, the first one needed a lot of mechanical parts, the second one was a body off frame restoration and needed a lot of body and mechanical parts and the third one did not need many parts. Starting from 2014 I purchased parts for a total of Euro 30.000,--

In the beginning everything was perfect, 90% of ordered parts were on stock and I got them delivered within 2 weeks to Europe. In the past six months it turned into a drama, 90% of parts I ordered and paid for were not available to ship, more over, I did not even get an estimate delivery time. The communication with Macs became very difficult, it looks, a lot of new girls are working there without any knowledge about the parts, their manufacturers and delivery times.

Currently I have a restoration project for a client and I am waiting for parts or at least for info of the parts since eight weeks, embarrassing, I start to regret this last order....
Old 03-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
olut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
I've had no problems with Macs. But I miss the fact that they are not in Lockport anymore.
Sometimes my friends and I would make an imprompto trip over the border just to see them. Jeff
I planned to go there during a trip to Buffalo, two weeks ago, wanted to order parts to pick them up over there, nobody of Macs told me, that this shop would be closed...
Old 03-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

And make sure you read up on the wonderful return policy::
Not to friendly when doing a restoration
http://www.macsautoparts.com/store/returns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5739.jpg (19.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-04-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
Manager

I have always had good dealings with Mac's. I tried another vendor only because of the bad reports on here about Mac's thinking I must have only been lucky with them. I got wrong parts which they didn't deny stuffing up but when you are in another country send them back and we will send you the right ones sucks. As olut said recent emails had been slow to answer, but were always answered ,but I had reason to email them a couple of weeks ago and got a quick reply so they may be past a staff problem or some such thing. I get 15% off most of the time and 10% the rest of the times.
The last email i sent 3 months ago to the other vendor I tried is still unanswered.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
Ed in Maine

I love their catalog with all the supporting information on the parts but I hate their new part numbering system. Ed
Old 03-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
JDupuis

Ed, apparently they went back to using the original part numbers again. Jeff
Old 03-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Listen, please understand I am happy that you are happy, but I do find it amusing that you ordered shoes from someone further away than the closest vendor (-who manufactures them), ...and that you received them 4 days after they were shipped. I guess this is where the scenario is different but how cool would it have been to talk with an order person that has experience, then have them shipped on Monday where they would have arrived in a typical two days, then use Thur & Fri evenings to install so that we could have been driving on Saturday?? ��

Naturally I am just playing a little, but here is what I think a lot of people miss. Often times we get reviews from someone who really has no knowledge or expertise in a subject, yet they offer up their advice. I struggle with that. For example, imagine if a professional restorer who has performed a task multiple times and gives a poor review on an item however three novices come along and state they had no problems with that item however they have no real experience with alternate parts sources, nor do they have the installation experiences to know the ins & outs. Now when you read those stats, it sounds like 75% of the reviewers feel the item is OK with only 25% stating differently. My point is that most of us that have been around the block have a good understanding of knowing the inferior quality that Mac's manufactures & sells. I trust this makes sense.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 03-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Marshall57

Some good and some bad with Mac's. Put in a large order and called them to make sure the items that were actually important were in stock. Got them but half of the order was out of stock and back ordered and I wasn't told. I should have been more vigilant, and you should also.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I love their catalog with all the supporting information on the parts but I hate their new part numbering system. Ed
I agree that their catalog is the best in the business. Not saying all other services they offer are as good as there catalog. But a few years back I purchased a number of items and had good service and quality. Have not use them lately because most restoring projects are complete.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:02 AM   #15
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Listen, please understand I am happy that you are happy, but I do find it amusing that you ordered shoes from someone further away than the closest vendor (-who manufactures them), ...and that you received them 4 days after they were shipped. I guess this is where the scenario is different but how cool would it have been to talk with an order person that has experience, then have them shipped on Monday where they would have arrived in a typical two days, then use Thur & Fri evenings to install so that we could have been driving on Saturday?? ��

Naturally I am just playing a little, but here is what I think a lot of people miss. Often times we get reviews from someone who really has no knowledge or expertise in a subject, yet they offer up their advice. I struggle with that. For example, imagine if a professional restorer who has performed a task multiple times and gives a poor review on an item however three novices come along and state they had no problems with that item however they have no real experience with alternate parts sources, nor do they have the installation experiences to know the ins & outs. Now when you read those stats, it sounds like 75% of the reviewers feel the item is OK with only 25% stating differently. My point is that most of us that have been around the block have a good understanding of knowing the inferior quality that Mac's manufactures & sells. I trust this makes sense.
So, you're saying that only professional restorers with lots of experience should be allowed to comment? Should we then have levels of allowable comments-200 restorations, X number of high point restorations, z millions of dollars earned? Suppose that a vendor knows their pro customers and gives them preferential treatment but screws the amateur rebuilder/restorer. As a non pro, that experience would be good to know.

Now, if 75% of the reviewers are "novices come along and state they had no problems with that item however they have no real experience with alternate parts sources, nor do they have the installation experiences to know the ins & outs" , that is very useful information to me as a novice. What I see is three guys with my skill level who used a part without a problem and one pro who has an ax to grind against a vendor.

Many ways to look at the same situation, I believe. From previous postings, you don't like Mac's. I have had only positive experiences with them-good prices, good delivery, good communication and a good catalog. I am satisfied with the parts and materials I have received. But, I am admittedly a novice, and I am not building high point cars for other people. Pros likely have much different needs, but most of the customers for Model A parts are probably guys like me. We need to know what will work for us.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #16
Manager

Well said 5 window. I was going to reply along the same lines as you but you have done better than I would have. I guess the it's not a personal attack so he can't get banned for it. Just brands 95% of the forum users as idiots so that's O.K..
Old 03-05-2017, 03:29 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Because you can bolt a part on does not mean it is a good part. Is not one of the reasons for this forum to get correct information from those that have gone before us?
Old 03-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #18
Manager

So the correct information is that every part Mac's sells is no good? Seems every part and service not done or supplied by lord brent is no good.I'm past this shit now and when I get banned over this I will be happy as I'm sick of his shit.He just still gets away with it. I was all for just keep on track and talking about old Fords. It wasn't really this thread ,it was the last one where someone dared to get a fuel tank fixed by someone other than lord faarkwit and be happy and he attacked that did it for me. Bye.Now that's a personal attack.No bullshit like his personal attacks that are O.K.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #19
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I can foresee where this thread is going........I'm glad I'm not a mechanic, not even a novice. I can't give advice, I've no idea if a part I ordered is good or crap. I leave that up to who does know. Sometimes I think out of the box and I end up buying crap.
I can comment though on customer service, mode of delivery and I can bullshit about both. I've been bullshitting about the Autolite heater Steve sent me coming off Will Rogers' Model A. It didn't come off Will Rogers' Model A, it came off Greta Garbo's and I sleep with it every night!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #20
Ryan
Administrator

You guys are taking an opinion as a personal attack now? Take a deep breath. Not that big of a deal. And remember, manners aren't hard to have. Don't like what some blowhard has to say? Ignore it.

Plus, has his Macs thing is getting old. How many threads do we need about them?
Closed Thread