Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: Disc brake question

American racing makes the adapters to go from wide 5 to 4.5, 4.75, 5, and 5.5 wheel patterns. They are steel and work well. Whether they will work with db's I am not sure ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #22
Charlie Stephens

I missed the threads where it was mentioned that the stopping power of vehicles at a higher rate of speed was a concern. Do you have any reference to them so I can read them? I always felt the ’39 and newer brakes if properly rebuilt and adjusted were satisfactory for the way most cars are driven. What is wrong with your current brakes? Maybe the problem is something that a rebuild and adjustment could solve?

If I wanted to improve the brakes on a ’39 I would go with the reproduction Lincoln brakes. I believe you can run the ’39 Ford wide 5 drums with them but please check it out on this.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #23
tubman

I agree with Charley about this. I have had the '39-'48 brakes on two cars (a "T"-Bucket and a '36 3 window) and never had any stopping problems with either one. My current car is a '51 club coupe that I restored so it has all new parts in the brake system. The brakes work perfectly. In fact, if I switch to driving it after driving my Corvette (which has non-power disk brakes), I put myself into the windshield the first couple of stops if I'm not careful. Maybe if I lived in the mountains, I might need something better, but where I live, the stock brakes have always been more than adequate.

Every time I see someone complaining about the stopping power of early Ford hydraulic brakes, I think poor maintenance or inferior parts. The only downside is that they are not self-adjusting, so you have to keep on top of them.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #24
TomT/Williamsburg

I like to use the 46-48 style backing plates for their easier adjustment design. As I adjust them I usually hit the brake pedal them check them again. When I think I have them good I go for a ride to make sure they are good. With distanced I drive my avatar I sometimes adjust them before leaving my destination, especially if I will be going through a heavy traffic area ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #25
3739ford

I'm considering keeping original and upgrading the master cylinder to later model Mustang along with other options to include disc brakes on the front as my wife and daughter who get's her permanent license at the first of the year both will be driving the pickup when finished. If it was just me driving "Nemesis" I'm use to it taking a little longer to stop as my 42 ford jeep has original brakes. I was not aware of the Lincoln backing plate option or did I think of using later model backing plates all good stuff to consider. Thanks for the feedback it was exactly what I was looking for.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3739ford View Post
I'm considering keeping original and upgrading the master cylinder to later model Mustang along with other options to include disc brakes on the front as my wife and daughter who get's her permanent license at the first of the year both will be driving the pickup when finished. If it was just me driving "Nemesis" I'm use to it taking a little longer to stop as my 42 ford jeep has original brakes. I was not aware of the Lincoln backing plate option or did I think of using later model backing plates all good stuff to consider. Thanks for the feedback it was exactly what I was looking for.

3739.....It's wise that you're able to be honest with yourself. It's obvious that something in your driving experience has told you that the early ('39-'48) hydraulic front brakes are marginally-adequate at best. Also note that Ford was one of the last to go to the "good" Bendix-type brakes. For those that say the old Ford Lockheed brakes are just dandy, you'd really have to ask yourself....'Then WHY did Ford (and the others) finally upgrade to the better Bendix-type brakes?" The improvement in mechanical advantage with the Bendix (like the Lincolns) is almost amazing, especially if you end-up with the proper size bore with your M/C choice.

The Lincoln (Bendix-type) are a bolt-on for the early Fords. They (the FRONTS) function very well in combination with the original Lockheed-type on the rear, as the rears normally accomplish less than 50% of the total braking force. MANY 'Barners run this combination. Also remember that many of the disc brake set-ups that guys run end-up moving the front tires and wheels OUTBOARD, which looks awful. Also remember that MOST disc brake set-ups will actually afford miserable results unless you also work-in a suitable power brake booster. The Lincoln front backing plates available from MT Car Products is one of the best $400 you'll ever spend. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #27
TJ

There is another alternative besides the Lincoln brakes. You can run the '53-'56 F-100 brakes. The backing plates will bolt to the 37-48 spindles and you make a simple inner bearing and seal change. These brakes show up at swap meets because the F-100 owners have gone to disc brakes. You can find the sets anywhere from $100-$200. Last year I bought a complete set for $80.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #28
estout81
BANNED

I had an '83 Ranger that had non power disc brakes and it took a strong right leg to stop it. My '48 F-1 with stock Bendix-type brakes are far superior.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
vintrex

Could a late 60's or 70's 9" rear be useful in swapping over?
vintrex is offline   Reply With Quote