Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
MickyD

Default Not my day-gas leak

I got my new gas line from Mikes and was excited. Went to install it and when I tightened the fitting at the carburetor the line moved. Needless to say the fitting crushed at the tip of the line and did not seal. I went to my local Napa store and they were out of that particular fitting. I have been trying for 2 weeks to get this fixed. Ordered 4 more tips. Never hurts to have a couple extras on hand. Had to empty my gas tank as I had filled it up just before the gas crunch in NC. Putting in a new shut off valve tomorrow. Will also be taking my Tillotson carburetor apart and checking the float and needle valves. I am also putting in an external shut off valve. I am going to get this gas leak fixed once and for all, I hope.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
McMimmcs

Default Re: Not my day-gas leak

Instead of Napa, try AutoZone or another supplier.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
MickyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Instead of Napa, try AutoZone or another supplier.
Usually Napa has what I want. Il ive in a tiny town and most of the Auto Parts places don't know squat as the younger generation works there. Not enough knowledge any more.⁸
Old 05-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
bobbader

MickyD, sounds like you're all over the place here. You got the new gas line ...... apparently the one that runs from the sediment bowl to the carb. A mishap occurred during the installation of the new line doing damage to the carburetor fitting. Now, before repairing that fitting, your frustration is leading you to dismantle the inside line and change the shutoff valve as well ............. and taking your Tillotson apart. It sounds like you thought the fuel line was the problem to begin with since that's the only thing you mention having just received and it sounds like your original intent was to mount the new line and see if the leak went away. My opinion .............. yes, it's all part of the same system but it sounds like you're "drawing at straws" .............. trying to fix 5 different things without knowing which one of them is the problem. If it stops leaking after all this, how will you know what the original problem was? And, if it starts leaking again in a week???? What then?? More frustration. It may take some time but, start at Square 1. You're already there. The tank is drained. Replace the shutoff valve, repair the damaged line, put everything back together. Don't fool with the carb ............ YET. If, after putting everything back together, if there are no visible leaks at any of the gas line fittings but the carb shows physical signs of leakage ........ that's when you play with the carb.

Good Luck, Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
Ayers1

If the compression ring is all that is damaged at the end of the line, go to your local hardware store. Our Ace store has whatever size I need.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #6
Rob Doe

I'd suggest installing a pencil strainer into the fuel shutoff valve while it is out.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #7
MickyD

Thanks Bob. Gas has been getting by my inside gas shutoff valve and I have a new one just have not put it in yet. Pulling my carburetor will be my last resort. I have had a gas line problem ever since I had my carburetor rebuilt. I have been told that my car is jinxed since the only leak I have had since 2015 is my gas leak. LOL.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:33 PM   #8
bobbader

Micky. The leak problem .............. if it means actual fluid leaking somewhere outside the carburetor housing ............... could be from the line. OR, it could be a problem with the threaded fitting inside the top carburetor casting that the line fitting screws into. If the carb was sent out for rebuild, is it possible it has a different upper casting than what you sent for rebuild? (I'm not at all suggesting any impropriety by the rebuilder. Just suggesting the possibility of a different top than you started with since you mentioned you didn't have a problem until the carb rebuild.) Anyway, most suppliers now carry oversize gas fitting ferrules. Ferrules are the little barrel type pieces that go between the threaded fitting on the line and the "landing" inside the carburetor fitting. When you tighten the gas line fitting, the ferrule compresses slightly to tighten onto the gas line and seat itself in the gas line fitting and the carb fitting. The oversize ferrules allow for a bit extra tightening and sealing on both surfaces. If the new gas valve and your "repaired" new gas line does not work, think about the oversize ferrules.

Bob
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
MickyD

Thanks all, for your help. My inside shut off valve was allowing some gas to get by. I replaced the shut off valve. Put in a pencil filter. Replaced inside gas lines. Replaced outside gas lines. All is well. No gas smell or leakage.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #10
Anteek29

Sweet!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote