Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
1937sedandelivery

Default 37 Ford front spring shackle pin install

Hello,
Continuing to restore my 37 front end. Leafs are all cleaned and painted. I have new shackle pins. Problem is I don't know how to install them in leaf# 12? Press fit it seems? I applied a light hammer load to see if they would start to slide in, no luck. What is the magic needed? Maybe put the shackles in the freezer overnight? I could heat up the leaf ends but that would spoil my new paint job (:
Thanks for advice/help.
gregg
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 37 Ford front spring shackle pin install

It is a very firm press fit! They can be difficult to install without the proper installation tool. There have been several past threads on this topic with some installation suggestions.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Kube

It'll take more than freezing them. It is actually an interference fit - designed to be between .003 & .004 as I recall.
You NEED the proper press (tool) to install these.
Please, do not polish them (pins) down to install. That defeats the purpose of replacing them. Without that interference fit, they won't "torque" and rebound the spring as designed for proper handling, etc.
By the way, heating spring steel, especially old spring steel is NOT a good idea.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:31 AM   #4
Mart

The holes in the springs need to be clean and free from burrs and on size - I run a reamer through to size to 3/4". You ought to be able to press the bushes in to the spring eyes as they do have some "give". You should be able to press them in in a large vice using suitably sized sockets as pushers etc.

If you have access to a lathe it ought to be possible to turn up some suitable bushes/guides.

Getting them into the axle or wishbone perches is another matter. Having the specific tool is a godsend but you might be able to get them in if you can improvise a pusher tool. I unbolted my vice from the bench and took it to the axle to press the bushes in on the rear of my 33.

On my 41 pickup I gave up on using the original style bushes and used the street rod style poly bushed shackles. It's is a lot easier if the vehicle is a driver and not a resto.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
1937sedandelivery

Many thanks, Folks.
I read through some search results also. Looks like it won't be easy. I will try the leaf pins first. I should be able to fit in an old York vise I just picked up at a swap meet the other day. As far as the wishbone pins, maybe I can arrange the vise to work. It is a heavy sucker.
Not sure I will be able or want to restore everything to original, it is riddled full of bullet holes, and will make for a very interesting driver.

Gregg
Old 03-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
woodiewagon46

A bit of Never-Sieze will help with both the installation and future removal.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
Mart

If it isn't a restoration, but just a get 'er running type job, have a look at the street rod type shackles, a lot less aggro than stock type. I imagine original shackles were better to fit than the modern repro units.

Mart.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
If it isn't a restoration, but just a get 'er running type job, have a look at the street rod type shackles, a lot less aggro than stock type. I imagine original shackles were better to fit than the modern repro units.

Mart.
Mart, I've primarily used NOS perch pins. They have always been between .003" and .0045 oversize.
The reproduction pins seem to have a thinner "shell" and are typically not round. I tend to purchase NOS whenever I am able to have them in my stock.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Mart, I've primarily used NOS perch pins. They have always been between .003" and .0045 oversize.
The reproduction pins seem to have a thinner "shell" and are typically not round. I tend to purchase NOS whenever I am able to have them in my stock.
Don't blame you, Mike, I've only ever had access to the repro stuff. It really is a crap shoot whether they will go in ok or not. I've also had problems with thread quality especially in conjunction with the supplied nuts.

The 33 ones I had were a joke - they were undersize! They fell through the spring eyes!

Hence my suggestion to use the "Street Rod" bushing type if using the original type is not a priority, and if it is a priority, try and use NOS parts if at all possible.

Mart.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
1937sedandelivery

The pins are finally installed in the leaf and wishbone. The leafs went in fairly easy using a vise (thanks for the tip). The wishbones wouldn't go, so finally had to use a press. After getting everything set up, those went in also. The painful part was holding the wishbone and not tilting it when pumping the jack. Anyway, all done now.
Oh, should mention that the pins are repros and came with self locking nuts (embedded with plastic stuff). I didn't realize it at the time, but the originals were special case hardened nuts and cotter pins were used to hold them on. Too late to change things now...
Thanks,
gregg