Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
JBohannon

Default Generator wiring

I have a Model A truck that is a static display. The motor does run and is wired for just the ignition. Now I want to wire the generator also in the simplest way possible. All other wiring such as lights is not needed. I have the original type short generator with a new diode type cut out. I simply want to go to ammeter and then I guess battery. No ignition switch. Can anyone help me on this. Thanks.
JBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Ruth

Default Re: Generator wiring

Run a wire from the cutout thru the ammeter to the negative side of the battery.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
rotorwrench

The battery connection to the starter is the basic electrical buss on a stationary industrial engine. The coil and the ammeter would be the only other circuits if no accessories are utilized. The ammeter connection was already mentioned. Wire from cut out to ammeter and then a return wire to the starter switch. The coil can be wired in with the ammeter through an ignition switch or direct depending on whether a person wants to switch the hot side of the coil or the negative. The switch can also be connected in the ground side of the coil between the coil and distributor like Ford did it originally. It will work either way.

Make sure the generator pole shoes are polarized for the way you have the battery connected, ie positive or negative ground. If the ammeter starts showing a good discharge after start then try swapping when two wires connecting to the ammeter. The generator 3rd brush can be adjusted to give at least 5 or 6 amps.

I would warn anyone that runs an engine without a load that it may develop compression problems if the intent is to break in an overhauled engine. I wouldn't run one more than 30-minutes without a load on it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #4
Badpuppy

No ignition switch - you will need to disconnect the battery from the coil when not running or you will discharge the battery through the ignition points. Ammeter is not required just to run the engine.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote