Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
willowbilly3

Default Gordon Smith

What's a good running Gordon Smith compressor on a Model A engine worth? It's on a trailer and was supposedly used on Mt.Rushmore but there's no documentation.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Gordon Smith

Is this the one Corkey Hayes had? Not sure of the value in the current market. Rod
Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
willowbilly3

No, it's a different guy but I don't know how long he's had it or who had it before.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks, I have wished several times that I would have bought it at his auction 8 years ago. It ran great and had the hard to find Ford script fan belt on it that would have passed fine point judging. I offered to buy the belt off of it from the buyer. Rod
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Joe K

Prices vary, mostly depending on the condition of the parts used to make the compressor.

Recently one sold from Harry's Antique Engine site for about $675 IIRC. One of the board membership bought it seeing my reference. This I consider a typical price.

Figure $100 for the head. $50 for the governor. $25 for the "step down" cylinder and linkage. Another $25 for other stuff like GS air cleaners that go with the head (although these are not necessary and there are better filters out there in tractorland.) And perhaps $50-100 for an air tank suitably sized. Maybe $100 for the frame and other parts. A cowl and hood for an "original" GS conversion will set you back more. And perhaps $400 for a running engine? So perhaps the range $600 to $1000 depending on condition and appointments?

There is currently an incomplete one on Ebay as parts selling for an exorbitant amount. See http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...d14de2&vxp=mtr

But he seems open to offers?

Joe K
Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
Dick Webber

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The Model A Restorer's Club and the Model A Ford Club of America have recognized the Smith Motor Compressor Region. The Club publishes a quarterly newsletter with wanted and for sale items, and helpful technical information. Dues are $10 per year. I purchased a rough, engine stuck, but complete unit earlier this year. Restoration in progress just a few blocks from where it was built in 1947

If you have a Gordon Smith Compressor or are interested in joining send me a PM and I will furnish contact information
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #7
willowbilly3

I have a chance to buy this one. It seems more of a put together unit than a factory one like Manyoldcars is restoring and put pictures of on the HAMB. I'll get some pictures next time I go up.
Forever4, they used compressed air in the building of Mt.Rushmore. One of the main big compressors is still on sight and some of the original 3-4 inch pipe still in place. 90% of the rock removal was blasting and the rest was dressing with jack hammers. I can't find the proof that they used a Gordon Smith but they did have some gasoline powered back up units of some sort.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
Joe K

Off topic but fun

Joe K
Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Richard Wilson

Anyone interested in the Smith Motor Compressor Club that Dick Webber mentions above can contact me through fordbarn. I can send information about the club and how to join.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote