Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #41
Sedona48F1

Default Re: Seat belts - to be or not to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Where to anchor the belts? I think the more important question is should one fit head rests to counter whip lash?
Do tell me where does one stop?
I hear ya on those headrests
Sedona48F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #42
Jason in TX

My 68C Cabriolet has wooden subrails and a tool pan under the seat tacked with tiny framing nails. I am NOT going to put a bolt and washer through that metal pan and think I will not fly out of the open car if I'm T-Boned.

I anchored a drivers side belt to the body mount bolt that holds the B pillar to the frame.
I anchroed a passengers side belt to the body mount bolt just behind the door on the passenger side.

My wife and I wear the lap belt together like a roller coaster ride or I cinch the belt tight when I ride alone. Without adding an additional crossmember under the car for the center mount to have two separate belts, this was the most sturdy way I could think of doing it in the stock configuration.

All sorts of other issues still remain. Hitting your head on the glass. Chest impalement by the steering wheel. (look at old crash photos. This is what gets you) Bashing your head on that dangerous windshield wiper knob that is like a spike facing you. A gas tank in your lap surrounded by electrical contacts. On and on.

Ultimately, these cars are not safe and if Ford built this car today it would SERIOUSLY get denied by the DOT. We are grandfathered in and it's like riding a motorcycle. You just hope that another person doesn't hit you and whatever measures you've taken to be safe ultimately protect your life.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #43
Steves46

Recently installed a set in my Coupe.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #44
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Probably after the airbags

I’ve got to visit your country. You guys are great. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #45
midgetracer

In the past 50 years I have seen many Model A bodies sitting in tree rows or near a river bank. I always assumed that they were in an accident and the body sheared off the frame. Very few had a frame attached. This must prove that the body shears off the chassis in an accident. Lol
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #46
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
In the past 50 years I have seen many Model A bodies sitting in tree rows or near a river bank. I always assumed that they were in an accident and the body sheared off the frame. Very few had a frame attached. This must prove that the body shears off the chassis in an accident. Lol
More likely, after the cars wore out the bodies were taken off and the frames made into trailers! Used to see a lot of Model A based trailers, but, without searching, I've never seen a Model A body sheared off the frame in an accident.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #47
russcochiolo

50+ years ago a lot of old car bodies were scrapped and dumped on the bank to "stop erosion". Chassis were stripped for parts or re-made. Several A bodies went onto the bank of the Arroyo Grande creek behind the high school. They then became dune buggies. This photo was a '30 Fordoor in 1957. The A engine was replaced in '58. The body was a '41 Ford that joined the A bodies in the creek. We (bro and me) paid $25 for the sedan and drove it from Fresno to the coast before converting to a buggy.....that's a whole nuther story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled 2.jpg (9.4 KB, 45 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #48
Russ B

My lap belts are attached to the wood sub rails on the outside and to an additional metal cross rail for the inner bolts. 29 cabriolet
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #49
midgetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
More likely, after the cars wore out the bodies were taken off and the frames made into trailers! Used to see a lot of Model A based trailers, but, without searching, I've never seen a Model A body sheared off the frame in an accident.
I was really just joking. It would be almost impossible to shear off eight 7/16th bolts as well as a few smaller ones. Even 80 year old bolts do not break when loosening them.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #50
barkleydave

Seat belts are ALWAYS a smart and responsible option.

We had a club member recently get hit on the right front fender and down the drivers side at low speed. No belt.. threw him over to the passenger side then back to driver's door and he was ejected out the door into the street. Remember this all happens in less that 1 second!

Someone asked about a belt only for the driver. ARE YOU NUTS!

As a police officer (retired) I was at a scene where at 1966 Mustang was involved in a head-on. The drive had a lap belt. (they were not standard) the passenger a 16 year old was not wearing belt. I pulled her out of the windshield. DOA

Will they save you all the time? NO will they most of the time YES.

I believe most of us have come around and now have them. If you must not have them please drive alone. Your decision your risk!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #51
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I was really just joking. It would be almost impossible to shear off eight 7/16th bolts as well as a few smaller ones. Even 80 year old bolts do not break when loosening them.
Sorry! I overlooked that possibility!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #52
Greg Jones

Back in 2009 I was traveling in my 31 standard roadster, doing nearly 50 mph. No seat belts. A guy suddenly pulled out in front of me, I hit the car, and went flying out of the car. I was hurt quite bad. Really bad-I ache from it to this day. I have put seat belts in my Model A, but they are lap belts only. I sometimes wonder how my accident would have turned out if I had lap belts. I do recommend them.

Last edited by Greg Jones; 04-19-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #53
Lona

I put retractable shoulder/lap belts in our '31 A roadster, '31 Chrysler sedan, and '36 Auburn replica and have documented these installations on this forum. Lap belts only provide a fulcrum for the driver's body to pivot at the waist with the upper torso impaling on the steering wheel and column. PM me if interested in reviewing these installations.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #54
Lona

rfitzpatric,

I sent you a pm this morning regarding your questions. Let me know if you did not receive it.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #55
Tim Ayers

I bought lap belts for my '28 roadster. I got them from Racer Direct. They look like the military belts that a lot of guys like, they are made in the USA and come in a wide choice of colors. I think it was like $140 for four.

Small price to pay for safety.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #56
Synchro909

We've just returned from the National Model A rally in New Zealand. What great rallying!! I did some driving and it felt strange not having a seat belt on. I guess we are so used to using them in our modern cars and I as I have said, they are fitted to all of my As.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #57
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
We've just returned from the National Model A rally in New Zealand. What great rallying!! I did some driving and it felt strange not having a seat belt on. I guess we are so used to using them in our modern cars and I as I have said, they are fitted to all of my As.
Got pictures?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #58
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Got pictures?
I'll see what I can do. Maybe a clip or two too. I'm no good with anything that runs on silicone so I'll see if my wife can do something.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #59
bdtutton

I have a 1930 Tudor and I have a good set of lap belts, but the main thing they are good for is keeping me in the car if I am hit. If someone came up with a good shoulder belt I would pay whatever the asking price would be....because it would be worth it to me. The steering wheel and/or metal dash of a model A would bring me to a painful stop in an accident.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #60
cjkohnast

When you sell the car suggest you remove them or have new owner sign a waver.
cjkohnast is offline   Reply With Quote