Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
jkcrosson

Default Joining A Local Model A Club

I have read discussions on here regarding the benefits of joining a local Model A Club. Up until recently, I have neglected to do so because of the distance between me and the nearest club. After realizing that there are several members within 15 minutes of my house I made the decision to take the plunge. 2 weeks ago I joined the Central Alabama Model A Ford Club and participated in my first function this weekend. I've always known "Model A" Folks were good people but the hospitality that was extended to me this weekend has blown me away. It very well could be the best $20 I've spent on my Model A. Guys from Central Alabama, thanks for making me feel welcome.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
jkcrosson

Default Re: Joining A Local Model A Club

By the way, our function had Model A's from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and possibly Florida. A total of 78 Model A's going around the Talladega Super Speedway.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
CarlG

I was really blown away when I discovered that the "president" of our club lives within walking distance of my house. He has become one of my best friends and mentors. The help and support I have received from all the guys in the club has just been great!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
John Stone

My brother-in-law from La Grange Georgia was at this event. He called me at lunch time about a noise in an engine (not his). A little hard to determine what it is but from the description it was in the timing gear area. Hope they got home. From the background noise when he called me, they were having a great time.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
spdway1

We LOVE our local club, Great Fun, Great People and Good Food!!

The Westen Masssachusetts Model A Ford Restorers Club
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
jkcrosson

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
My brother-in-law from La Grange Georgia was at this event. He called me at lunch time about a noise in an engine (not his). A little hard to determine what it is but from the description it was in the timing gear area. Hope they got home. From the background noise when he called me, they were having a great time.
I assuming he was with the southside a's. I have a friend in the same club that I had not seen for 10 years prior to this weekend. I hope they had a good time
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Bill in Al

What a day.Jamie's '29 out ran my '30 on the Talladega Race track! Just you wait 'till next year!!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
glenn in camino

There are lots of good reasons to belong to a local Model A club. I joined one in 1970. I'm still a member even though I moved 500 miles away and joined the local club here. I probably wouldn't have a Model A if I didn't belong to the club. I don't know what I'd be doing if I didn't have my 6 Model As to keep me busy. I've been retired for 10 years and my Moidel As are keeping me young.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
jimalabam

Hey Jamie: You got it right - Model A'ers are great folks. Kudos to all you guys and Gals in the CAMAFC. Jim Langley - River Cities Model A's...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
jkcrosson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Al View Post
What a day.Jamie's '29 out ran my '30 on the Talladega Race track! Just you wait 'till next year!!

I thought you came back and passed me. It was a lot of fun.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I know for a fact that I would never have my car if I did not join a club first. When growing up Dad had a best friend that was a mechanic and would tell me when ever I would want to do work on the car; "mechanics have to feed their familys too". When I moved out I just did the same, sent the car out whenever it needed to be worked on. The first car I ever did any real work on was the A and it would not have been possible without a little hands on help from the members.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
mack4759

I don't want to hijack this thread because I strongly believe in local clubs but...

I have never been a member of a local club even though I'm a member of both MAFCA and MARC. The distance to the nearest club was over an hour away. So my version of a club was the Ford Barn. I came (and still do) come to you for advice and help with my car (I'm new to the hobby and have only had a car for two years). I kept reading about the camaraderie within clubs so we decided to try and start our own club. I collected names of Model A owners at parades, car shows and word of mouth. We gathered eleven interested individuals and had our first meeting last August, but I am surprised how difficult it is to start a club. I am concerned about our longevity. We have 15 members now, but how long (or how many people) does it take before the club takes on a life of it's own?

I really enjoy the meetings; and we have a slate of activities scheduled for the summer, but one month we only had three people show up?

Any ideas, comments or suggestions? I really want this club to survive.

Robert
mack4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Chris in WNC

Robert, just keep doing the things you enjoy and inviting all to join in with you and reciprocate by creating events of their own whenever they wish. you will have a good time and maybe create a lasting club. but if you don't create a lasting club, you will still have a good time. PM me if you want additional opinions and war stories in this realm, I've got plenty.......