Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
John Burne

Default Anyone ever added a side spare on F-100?

I've been thinking about this for a while. Maybe just looking for a winter project. I was kind of waiting for a scratch or dent in the left rear fender so I wouldn't feel bad about replacing or cutting into a perfect fender, but maybe it's time. I had to stop carrying the spare up under the bed after installing dual exhaust. Can I cut out my current fender and add the pocket or should I look for a specific fender? Also, are modern tires too wide for the typical wells? I realize I will need a bracket and have to have the fender repainted. Maybe this is just a dumb idea. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks- John
John Burne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Anyone ever added a side spare on F-100?

I believe that Ford offered a side mount option on the step side type of beds,usually on the curb (R) side. The fender has to have a recess into the fender large enough to accommodate the standard 600x16 and/or 650x16 tire...
Interestingly.. the style/fleet side type of beds, starting in '57 had a "large dimple" in the front edge of the fender well inside of the bed.. Ford offered an inside the bed mount for this application..
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
John Burne

Bill,
Thanks for your response. Do you know where I could buy one of those wells? I just checked Mid Fifties and Dennis Carpenter with no luck. I did see an ad on the For Sale section of the Ford Barn for a used complete fender with the spare tire well, but he's out in So. Cal. Thanks - Update: Just answered my own question about the well width by looking at the photo of the used fender. Felt stupid when I saw it. It is more of an open sided cut out so the width isn't a problem. I'm thinking an entire fender with the existing well is going to be the way to go. - John

Last edited by John Burne; 01-17-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
blucar

I knew I had seen '53-56 F100's with rear fender mounted spares, could not put my finger on just where..
DA... My friend pulls up in his '56 F100, hello.. it has a fender mounted spare on the left rear fender... He don't have a spare tire mounted because he don't like the look.. He is looking for a plain L. rear fender.
I have some pix of the fender which I will post to this topic tomorrow..
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
John Burne

Bill,
That's too funny. His truck wouldn't by chance be red in color? I've been e-mailing today with a good guy, Ford Barner out in Cal. and I'm just starting to try and figure out shipping. Don't know yet if the cost of shipping added to the purchase price will be prohibitive. I took a quick look at the Ford Barn transport social group and had trouble accessing the site. Probably my fault. Anyways I may have a really nice, painted, clear coated and undercoated left rear fender for your friend. I guess old cars and trucks are like people; someone for everyone out there. - John
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
joe plumber

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Alot of 53-56 f100's came with spare tire fenders.Most try to get rid of them .Let me know if you don't find one .I will keep an eye out for one in my area ,they are pretty common on trailers made out of pickup boxes around here and most end up in the salvage yards .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
Alot of 53-56 f100's came with spare tire fenders.Most try to get rid of them .Let me know if you don't find one .I will keep an eye out for one in my area ,they are pretty common on trailers made out of pickup boxes around here and most end up in the salvage yards .
================================================== =========

X2.....If you could make an even up trade for one, the shipping might be worth it. Otherwise, I would bide my time and try to find one more local, as they are out there, just got to search a little harder.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
blucar

Attached you'll find a couple of pix of the fender on my friends truck..
You should note that the recess in the fender is quite large.. I took some measurements of the "well"
The well is located 13" above the running board, the radius of the inner portion is 21-1/2", the well is approximately 7.5" in depth from the outer edge...
As you can note from the pix, Ford did not knock themselves out with the quality of the fit and finish of the tire well.... Hammer to fit, paint to match.. After you review the pix you'll see why most people want to get rid of the side mount spares on the trucks..
An option to consider for a spare tire is to use one of the modern "space saver" tires.. They'll get you off the road in a pinch. I have them in a couple of my cars...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53-56 Frd.spr.fn.1.jpg (32.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 53-56 Frd.spr.fn.2.jpg (30.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
John Burne

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help and advice very much. I see what you mean by the "hammered to fit". I've yet to get back in touch with the shipping company I originally called, but I suspect you are right and a trade would make more sense. I'm not ready to call it a dumb idea yet, but you've got me to slow down and think about this more carefully. Thanks, John
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
38 Conv

I wish mine did not have one-- they are UGLY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55-P-up-4.jpg (67.7 KB, 43 views)
38 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Conv View Post
I wish mine did not have one-- they are UGLY
I would not go as far as to say "your spare tire mount is ugly"... Maybe not the most streamlined look, however, your choice of a tire cover has done a good job of concealing the tire...
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
19Fordy

38Conv is correct. The spare side mount takes away from the already good looking truck.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
John Burne

Hey 38 Conv,

Your truck is great. I remember you sent me some pics from all sides and I loved em. Did you change your tailgate latches after we exchanged the related photos? I don't know, maybe the side spare is an aquired taste. Just my opinion, but I think if a truck has the original style painted wheels with the original hub caps, then the side mounted matched up wheel looks right. 38 Conv what state are you in again? Update: I'm going to put this idea on the shelf for a while. I had some stuff come up and going to do a motor swap in a couple weeks - John

Last edited by John Burne; 01-22-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
willowbilly3

I have an F250 I'm thinking of parting out. It has the carrier. The fender itself is beat but I could cut the pocket if you decide to go that way.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
38 Conv

Sorry John did not want to be that HARSH-- no the tailgate hindges I am still thinking about just like the pictures you sent me-- I might get rid of the louvered tail gate skin and go original chains like yours-- good luck with your decision it is what you like that matters----
38 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
Mr Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burne View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help and advice very much. I see what you mean by the "hammered to fit". I've yet to get back in touch with the shipping company I originally called, but I suspect you are right and a trade would make more sense. I'm not ready to call it a dumb idea yet, but you've got me to slow down and think about this more carefully. Thanks, John
Check with Greyhound for shipping, they're very reasonable, and ship just about anything. I received a front fender for my '54 F100 by Greyhound from an eBay seller.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Anyone ever added a side spare on F-100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john burne View Post

i don't know, maybe the side spare is an aquired taste.

Just my opinion, but i think if a truck has the original style painted wheels with the original hub caps, then the side mounted matched up wheel looks right.
IMO Also...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #18
jag2640

Default 1956 ford f 250 spare tire bracket bolts

Looking for 1956 ford f250 spare tire bracket bolts see photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 - 2019-11-20T202808.408.jpg (96.8 KB, 12 views)
jag2640 is offline   Reply With Quote