Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #1
Motobassman

Default Needing confirmation...is this my Engine Number for my '48 Flathead?

Hi all,

New to these early Fords and have recently purchased a '48 Tudor (Coupe) and to Register it here in Melbourne, Australia I'll need to supply our Transport Department an Engine number. It's been a challenge to try to find one on the Engine, all my contacts have directed me to the flat area on top of the Block near the Manifold either at the front or sometimes at the back of the top of the Block near the Firewall. However none of these areas have been successful in finding one. My next area to check from what people were telling me was that sometimes a number can be found on top of the Bellhousing where it meets the block, so the only Numbers I've found there was 'D27' which are raised numbers just above where it has '59' also embossed on the housing. I'm assuming the D27 is irrelevant and not the Engine Number? How many numbers usually make up a Flathead 59A-B Engine number?
Motobassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Needing confirmation...is this my Engine Number for my '48 Flathead?

TMK the numbers were stamped on the bellhousing of the transmission above the clutch inspection access. It will be a tall order for an engine number as there were none that I know of.Besides the transmission The vin is also stamped on the chassis near the steering box forward to the front crossmember. Now when you find that vin number does it match the number on your title?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
Terry,OH

Default Re: Needing confirmation...is this my Engine Number for my '48 Flathead?

The best location to look for the number is the top of the LH frame side member anywhere between the front of the engine block to the cowl and sometimes slightly under the cowl. If not there do look at the RH frame. The number above the transmission clutch inspection cover should match the car the transmission came out of since they are often replaced and may not match your title. The number for a USA 48 would start with a star then either 899A- for the 100HP engine or 87HA- for the 6 Cyl 90HP followed by 7 numbers for the 100HP or 4 to 6 numbers for the 6 cyl. and finally another star. Check your title for the above numbers. Canadian made Fords have a slightly different group of numbers.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #4
corvette8n

Here’s a link to Vanpelts site of serial number locations

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm

Looks like you serial # should start with 899A
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Mart

There is no engine number on a ford of that era. Sometimes the authorities will accept that. They do here in the UK for example.
There is a serial number stamped into the transmission bellhousing near the top, above the inspection hole. This was the serial number of the original engine/trans power unit. On assembly into the frame that number was stamped into the frame.
You should find it along the top of the left hand frame rail somewhere between the front crossmember and the firewall.
If the trans is original the numbers should match.
There might be an inspection plate in the floor that can be removed to see the serial number on the trans.
Sometimes putting "none found" for engine number is ok. It might be better to say that than make one up.
They might advise what they want from you in the absence of an engine number.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There are several members here on the Barn that live in Australia, they might be able to help with what is excepted.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote