Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
BillsCars1

Default 3 speed overdrive

Trying to install wiring on 55 2dr. Have a wire marked st term by the fellow who removed unit from another car. Short wire, looks like it should attach to the relay unit (with fuse). other wires attached to relay unit.

Also, barner in the past outlined how to bypass most of controls and engage/disengage overdrive with a ?toggle? switch that provides voltage to the solenoid.

Any help will be appreciated. Bill?Okla
BillsCars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Greg58

Default Re: 3 speed overdrive

Bill I changed to a overdrive earlier this year in my 50, I used the governor and relay but not the kick down switch. I was afraid I would forget to flip the toggle switch and try to start off or back up without turning it off. The transmission will lock down if you shift to reverse with the solenoid engaged.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Greg58

Here's a popular basic diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180325_172052.jpg (49.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-19-2018, 01:49 AM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCars1 View Post
Trying to install wiring on 55 2dr. Have a wire marked st term by the fellow who removed unit from another car. Short wire, looks like it should attach to the relay unit (with fuse). other wires attached to relay unit.

Also, barner in the past outlined how to bypass most of controls and engage/disengage overdrive with a ?toggle? switch that provides voltage to the solenoid.

Any help will be appreciated. Bill?Okla
Please, DO NOT follow any "advice" to disable your overdrive by deliberately bypassing anything with a toggle switch! All the parts Ford used for that overdrive are necessary! Overdrive operation should be automatic, completely controlled by your right foot: Above 28 MPH quickly release and reapply the gas pedal, and it automatically has shifted into overdrive. If you need passing gear, simply floor the gas pedal and it automatically kicks down into direct drive. Then momentarily let up the gas pedal and it automatically shifts back into overdrive.
The lockout handle (labeled "overdrive") remains pushed in for normal use. If you want to "lock out" the freewheeling under 28 MPH, pull out the lockout handle and the trans becomes just like a non-overdrive three speed. You also pull out the handle for better engine braking on steep downhills.
Just don't pull it out while coasting (or 'freewheeling') under 28 MPH (approx.) (or damage will occur, as they say). The handle is physically impossible to pull out once the unit has shifted onto overdrive mode. (So just kick it down into direct and then pull the handle out).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Greg58

Remember to always park the car in reverse or have the tee handle pulled out or the car could roll in free wheel. I have the kickdown switch for mine but do not need it, mine runs good in o.d., rarely do I have to downshift.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
BillsCars1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Greg, Thanks very much for the information. Can you determine where a white wire connects on the relay unit (unit with fuse). I understand a longer white wire goes to the coil. Bill/Okla
Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
Greg58

Here's another typical diagram, I don't remember which year it is for so wire colors may be different but the wiring should be the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg od-diagrm.jpg (36.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
BillsCars1

Thanks very much. This is what I need. Bill/Okla
Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
miker98038

While I agree with 40 that the o/d should be properly wired, I have to disagree about using a toggle switch to drop it out. I’ve owned a number of them, and there are times and places using full throttle to disengage it isn’t the best way. Disengaging the o/d and putting it under load and then pulling the handle out is sometimes useful. You really have to understand how that works to avoid damage. My father drove many of those, and that was one on the first things he taught me when I installed my first one in 1967.

Something you rarely see mentioned is the spring loaded rod from the bellcrank to the carb. I know both my Thunderbirds had it, I assume the passenger car o/d did also. Properly set up, it allows the carb to reach wide open throttle just before it contacts the kick down switch. Pushing further on the pedal allows the kickdown sw to be activated without overstressing the throttle linkage and carb. Here’s an eBay listing of what I believe is one, I don’t know that they are reproduced, haven’t looked in years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Thunde...-/112623543888

There’s also a recent post over at yblocksforever by Ted Eaton about the number of o/d units he’s worn out or seen damaged by driving around freewheeling all the time. I’d link that, but the site’s being grumpy right now.

Great units, wire it up as you wish and enjoy the ride.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
Anteek29

Correction: y-blocksforever.com
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote