Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Slowplane

Default Hornbutton/lightswitch tube

Is anyone aware of a source for the tube minus the switch and button. I'd like to use all my original parts, but I need a replacement tube. ('29 2 tooth, 150A)
AND, any tips on joining the tube to the bottom of the horn button/light switch would be certainly helpful.
Thank you, Jeff
Slowplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Hornbutton/lightswitch tube

I can't say I've seen the tubes separately. IIRC, they are "swaged" into the top escucheon and would be difficult at best to cut off, remove the swaging/bead, and replace with new.

Although you could experiment with some brass or stainless tubing. The square at the bottom could be hammer forged and a groove cut with a lathe? It might not be original, but could possibly be made to appear original with the horn button in place covering the modification at the top.

If this is for a driver, why not just shell out the $ for a new one? If not into fine point, it might not be worth the trouble to re-build? And if into fine point you had better be REALLY good at the result - and willing to take a chance against those that ARE original?

Sometimes I just have to step back myself and say is this the best way to a solution? I have been known to re-cast broken original terminal boxes using epoxy simply to prove to myself I could bring it back. At $7.99 for a tube of epoxy, it's almost a losing proposition financially and certainly a loss time-wise.

But at what price do you take your pleasure?

Joe K
Old 01-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Joe, your points are indeed VERY valid however, I think there are two very relevant topics regarding this;

First off, most people here consider themselves to be 'Restorers'.

Second, imagine how this topic would be viewed if the horn rod was needed for a vehicle where the item was not being reproduced.

This is NOT aimed towards Joe, -or anyone else but I do think the majority of Fordbarn participants (Posters, Lurkers, & Antagonists alike) come here to learn how to Restore parts on the Model-A. THAT in a nutshell was why Ryan set up this forum. To answer Slowplane's question, I personally do not know of a source for the rolled tube. Steve Becker might be a good source for used ones for parts. I am also guilty of using/saving original tubes to be used for making early tubular hood rods, therefore I do not have any extras. I am sure I do not have any pictures of how I have repaired horn rods but I will make it a point to do a tutorial of it in the near future. It really is not that hard to do.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Gooseloony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowplane View Post
Is anyone aware of a source for the tube minus the switch and button. I'd like to use all my original parts, but I need a replacement tube. ('29 2 tooth, 150A)
AND, any tips on joining the tube to the bottom of the horn button/light switch would be certainly helpful.
Thank you, Jeff
Save yourself some grief and get this tool---
Light Switch Spider Install Tool

• Slips around the ears of the light switch spider and gives you a large surface to push on so you can compress the spring to install the retainer. U.S.A.
    Part Number Specifics Price A-3643-T 1928-31 $7.00 / ea.

Return to the product list

Gooseloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Big hammer

My thoughts where to parts wanted here on the Barn or Bert's in Denver for good used parts and switch out horn button light switch
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
Slowplane

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the tips and input.
Joe K got it right. Having spent the bulk of the last 40 years in remote camps in rural Alaska (200 miles, or more, to the nearest road), we don't toss out anything and we fix, make, and modify our stuff. (it is, by now, a well ingrained habit!)
I'll look at Turlock, and check with Bert's.
I know that I can buy new for 60 bucks, but this is for a driver/survivor car and the "patina" is important to me.
Thanks again, Jeff
Slowplane is offline   Reply With Quote