Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Pete W.

Default Hershey?

So will there be a full on HERSHEY this year?
Pete W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Hershey?

They took my money like there will be
I guess like everything it’s moving target...wait see
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
McMimmcs

Maybe it’s not new but all vendors must have a Pennsylvania sales tax vending permit. In 25 years I don’t remember paying 6 % sales tax. Not a big deal on a hubcap but I have bought several cars.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:25 AM   #4
ronn

Mc- that should not be an issue buying cars. Everyone must pay their sales tax on their cars to their own state, so PA should NOT be collecting on cars.

However, the sales tax on the vendors has been a huge issue the last few years, so much as in some of the big guys just coming to display their goods, but not sell their goods at Hershey. Many very small vendors have just given up selling.

When you go to your local yard sale, there is no tax and there wasnt for years at Hershey- but that has all now come to an end, and unfortunately helped in killing the "hobby".

as an aside, check out the tolls when driving to Hershey this year. The PA turnpike has raised rates insanely, because so many people are now traveling less, this past year.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:09 AM   #5
Bruce of MN

Regarding the Turnpike, I come up on I-81 & 78 and approach Hershey from the north.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 AM   #6
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Mc- that should not be an issue buying cars. Everyone must pay their sales tax on their cars to their own state, so PA should NOT be collecting on cars.

However, the sales tax on the vendors has been a huge issue the last few years, so much as in some of the big guys just coming to display their goods, but not sell their goods at Hershey. Many very small vendors have just given up selling.
Sounds like Hershey has attracted the eyes of the tax man. But the sales were likely always taxable, it's just that no one collected it. If you buy a car sales tax is due unless you hold a valid resale certificate, and make sure you get a bill of sale and invoice from the seller. You show this to your home state DMV and any tax you paid will offset tax due in your home state. Where you get screwed is if PA has a higher tax rate than your home state, then you get no refund. Since cars are mobile, all you have to do is arrange delivery in a lower tax state.

Individuals aren't expected to charge or collect sales tax, so apparently by virtue of being a vendor at a car show the State of PA has declared you a dealer, and requires sales tax.

Holding a tag sale in your driveway might be technically taxable as well, even though I've never seen anyone collect tax.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
77Birdman

Will you not eat dinner at a rest., stay in a hotel, stop at the Sheets to get gas and snacks? All of these places will collect tax as well!

Technically anything one buys, a tax is due to their home state. If the state your dealing with is of equal or greater value then its all good nothing is due.

A good example is wonderful tax fee DE. As a Marylander I am supposed to report everything I buy there and send 6% of the total to my state.

Small stuff you can get away with (unless your a business), but when buying a car, someone is going to get the tax from it. No way around that one your going to pay one place or the other.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:

When you go to your local yard sale, there is no tax and there wasnt for years at Hershey- but that has all now come to an end, and unfortunately helped in killing the "hobby".

as an aside, check out the tolls when driving to Hershey this year. The PA turnpike has raised rates insanely, because so many people are now traveling less, this past year.
Maybe a matter of interpretation. Seller told me I have to pay the 6 % and then I have to deal with Michigan !
Old 04-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
ronn

well I would walk from that seller- some dealers do impose that, but funny, if you pay out of state and have a transporter retrieve the car, they arent entitled to collect the tax.

77- nobody is saying they shouldnt pay tax, just another reason why Hershey is getting smaller and smaller. say it isnt so.

I actually thought it was Dennis Carpenter who displays, but if you want to buy, need to call his store in the carolinas......... no sales at Hershey.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Maybe a matter of interpretation. Seller told me I have to pay the 6 % and then I have to deal with Michigan !

Quote:
well I would walk from that seller- some dealers do impose that, but funny, if you pay out of state and have a transporter retrieve the car, they arent entitled to collect the tax.
It's all about where the retail buyer took delivery, that is where the tax is due. A common carrier does not pay tax, so the car hauler, UPS, or FedEx doesn't collect sales taxes. And then if you register the car in a higher tax state, you pay the difference. If you can't prove that you paid tax at purchase, they will make you pay the entire amount.

Don't forget, most states have not only a sales tax, but a use tax. Even if the sale was non taxable, (Say you bought it in NH) but use it in PA, you are liable for the use tax. No one worries about it for a candy bar bought in NH and eaten in MA, but they sure do when it comes to cars. And apparently car parts at swap meets.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
todd j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete W. View Post
So will there be a full on HERSHEY this year?
So back to the original question. Will the Hershey Swap Meet take place this year or is it too early to know???
todd j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd j View Post
So back to the original question. Will the Hershey Swap Meet take place this year or is it too early to know???
As of today, it is still on. Hershey Park is open. Let's hope the vaccine continues to roll out and provides effective coverage for all who choose to receive it.

Hershey AACA cashed my check and, according to the information they sent out, that's your proof that they received your registration and you will be getting your stickers prior to the Oct. meet.

Of course, this could all change if the world goes sideways again.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #13
Pete W.

Thanks Tim and Todd!
Pete W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
Colonial coupe

As stated they cashed my check.
As far as taxes go as a vendor we don't charge tax but do indeed pay it to the state. Not something that you enjoy but we all have to do it. A small price to pay to be at Hershey. It's amazing the people that you meet from all over the country and the world.
For what it's worth the AACA National Convention has been relocated to Williamsburg Virginia.
Colonial coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Wait until they start taxing you on every mile you drive. That has been kicked about in the past and is back again.

The thinning crowds at many events will get.... thinner.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #16
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete W. View Post
Thanks Tim and Todd!
Sorry didn't mean to hijack! Wayne
Old 04-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #17
Wick

Only 6 month's away for Hershey.
Next week is Carsile, then the Mid Atlantic pre war swap meet in Luray virginia May 14-15.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #18
jak

The other day I talked to a friend who is a member of the Hershey AACA Club. I asked him what he knew. As of right now the club is making preparation's for the 2021 meet in October. At this time that was all that he was aware of, the club has been having outdoor meetings but the last one was rained out so he did not get anything more current.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #19
gdmn852

The state of New York did require vendors have tax numbers at the Spring Dunkirk Flea market held on the 3 week of May , it went down hill from there .
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #20
Oldbluoval

TN has what is commonly referred to as “Girl Scout Cookie sale law”
If a person is only doing one sale and not a perpetual vendor they do not have to collect and remit sales tax
Yeah the tax man and regulations seems to be the pain for everything...and often the end
PA has been doing that for at least 15 years. Many professional vendors only display, give catalogues and take orders to be shipped in interstate commerce. But even interstate commerce has gotten crazy with what is considered domicile by a seller
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote