Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2021, 03:08 AM   #1
bgzlbhd

Default Proper way to fold down top

What is the proper way to fold the top down on a 29 Phaeton?
bgzlbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Proper way to fold down top

Good question. Would like to see pics of process and end result.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
Model A Ron

That's a good question. I looked for a video and could not find one. I only had mine up and down a few times. The PO always drove it with the top up and I was told it was down for just one day since the car was restored in 2010 for a parade.

Now as for myself I am a top down kind of man and find the Phaeton to be one big blind spot with the top up. Since my top was not operated for many years I started by placing a drop of oil on all folding points. Loosen and free the top from the windshield. Loosen the wing nuts on the top rails but do not remove and start folding. You will see the section that needs to be pulled down for the top to fold. Now as for bringing it up I found that it takes a bit more time to get the rails properly adjusted so that the metal is under the top.

My top has been down for about a month and I do not see the need to put it up. The plastic side windows are very hard to see out of and a car without windows will get you just as wet in the rain. I would just try and not drive if you think it will rain and if you do plan on getting wet.

Do you have a boot for your car? I am thinking about getting one.

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-16-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
bgzlbhd

Thank you for that information.
bgzlbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #5
McMimmcs

That seems to be very thorough! I agree with the blind spot issue! Thank you
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
Oldbluoval

All phaetons really take two people to up and down. IMHO
They are a bit flimsy and warp and bend fairly easily; particularly the deluxe phaeton
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #7
Synchro909

[QUOTE=
My top has been down for about a month and I do not see the need to put it up. The plastic side windows are very hard to see out of and a car without windows will get you just as wet in the rain. I would just try and not drive if you think it will rain and if you do plan on getting wet.

Do you have a boot for your car? I am thinking about getting one.

Ron[/QUOTE]

If a top is left down for any extended length of time, it shrinks. Have you left it down like that before and if so, was it difficult to put back up? I have no trouble driving in he rain in my Phaeton except that when I go above about 50 mph, there is a fine mist comes in over the windscreen but not enough to get us wet. It doesn't sound like you have a very good top.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
If a top is left down for any extended length of time, it shrinks. Have you left it down like that before and if so, was it difficult to put back up? I have no trouble driving in he rain in my Phaeton except that when I go above about 50 mph, there is a fine mist comes in over the windscreen but not enough to get us wet. It doesn't sound like you have a very good top.
Or it could mean that I never had it in the rain lol
Old 04-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #9
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
All phaetons really take two people to up and down. IMHO
They are a bit flimsy and warp and bend fairly easily; particularly the deluxe phaeton
If you do it outside the car I would say yes. If to unscrew the two front wing nuts and flip it back when in the front seat and then jump in the back and fold the rest I would say its a rather ez one man job but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:46 PM   #10
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
As for the shrinking I am sure it does shrink over time. I put it up after two weeks and I did not see any issues however I left it in the sun with the top up for a few hours prior to fixing it to the windshield. .....all seemed to be fine. Soon after that warm Carolina weather set in and the top has been down for about a month now.

I have heard about putting it up every night to avoid shrinking but my top is also 12 years old and I felt the constant up and down would cause more damage than just leaving it down. Unless I am caught in hurricane like conditions far from home it will stay down till December. The PO only drove it with the top up but to me if I cannot drive it with the top down I just as soon leave it in my building . I am am an open car kind of man and to me the Phaeton just looks sexy topless. Also at 6'3 I have a very hard time getting into the car with the top up. Its just about impossible from the drivers side door top up but top down its rather ez.

This also give me an excuse to buy a Two Door but if I find one it needs to be much less than what I spent on the Phaeton or I need to come into some money......in that case I would buy a Victoria as that style is rather sexy as well lol

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-16-2021 at 11:55 PM.