Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default More kudos for Randy Gross' brake drums

I feel the need to temporarily come out of my self-imposed exile to recommend Randy Gross' cast iron brake drums, as well as the services he offers to the Model A community. To those readers contemplating purchasing Randy's brake drums and his hub swaging and brake shoe relining/arching services, allow me to highly recommend that you make the investment.
To understand this praise, you need to know a little background why I contacted Randy for my first purchase from him. I am in the midst of helping a local Model A owner straighten out the "messtoration" he bought. A veritable rolling death trap with - among other MAJOR mechanical deficiencies - non-operating front brakes and well-used original brake steel drums that had been turned waaaaaaaay past legal limits. But the main problem was that the drums had simply been loosely LAID over the hubs and without the studs being swaged in place - all four of them! The effect was that when the car finally came to a stop via the poorly adjusted rear brakes only, the drums would rotate forward and strike the studs, elongating the stud holes in the drums. The studs had only been tack-welded to the hubs! One can easily imagine what would have eventually happened if this banging against the studs at speed had been allowed to continue! Obviously, something had to be done.
After numerous emails and phone conversations with Randy, I sent the four hubs and eight brake shoes to California for his magic touch. Upon attempting to install the hubs in the new cast iron drums, Randy discovered that the rear hubs were so badly damaged by the tack-welding and wallowed out holes that they were unusable. Rather than going ahead with an unsafe assembly, Randy called me three times over the weekend in the span of 15 minutes to inform me of the dilemma. Instead of leaving me to solve the problem 2000 miles away, Randy offered a pair of good rear hubs to save the day. In addition to the four new cast irons drums, we opted for Randy's relined and arched brake shoe exchange. When the parts arrived, I was bowled over by the quality and attention to detail. Packed to survive a trip to the moon, the parts were well-protected and pleasingly packaged. Randy had even glass-beaded/sandblasted all four hubs! The drums fit perfectly over the arched brake shoes, which means we will have virtually 100% shoe contact right away instead of going through the tedious process of wearing down high spots and making numerous brake wedge adjustments. What a luxury! I wish I had taken advantage of Randy's services long ago. In this day and age where schlock seems to be the norm, it's refreshing to meet someone like Randy, who still conducts business the old fashioned way - with honesty, integrity and a strong work ethic.
You can see in the photos the quality that Randy offers us in this hobby. I consider his prices more than fair, when one considers that the driver's life depends upon good brakes. I can now return the mechanically refurbished Model A to its owner with confidence that the mechanical brakes are the best one can achieve for a Model A, which as old timers in this hobby can attest, are MIGHTY good when the system is properly rebuilt. If you are straddling the fence over whether you should spend the money for the safest mechanical brakes available, ask yourself this: how much is your life and the lives of your passengers worth to you?
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 04-12-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
The Master Cylinder

Default Re: More kudos for Randy Gross' brake drums

Good stuff, Marshall. Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have used Randy's services with fantastic results.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
jb-ob

Nice & crispy new, shame to hide with black paint.
jb-ob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

"Nice & crispy new, shame to hide with black paint."

I thought the exact thing when I first unpacked the drums! Once painted black, they'll "disappear" and only photos in the raw will remind us how stunning the drums looked.
M.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
dean from bozeman

Hey Marshall, good reporting.

Now I'm not in the need of new brake drums but if a Model A'er was how would he/she get ahold of Randy Gross? Thanks.

Got it from #6 Thanks Marshall. Gotta have good brakes.

Mel Gross
City: Montebello
State: CA
Price: 65.00

New cast iron brake drums - $65.00 each plus shipping. We have been supplying these to Model A'ers for a long time now. Researched and written up in "Model A Times" for their high quality. Model A Times and The Victoria Bustle articles available upon request. We stock relined bonded brake shoes, bonded emergency bands and studs and can ship them with the drums. We also can take apart your old drums from your hubs, clean and blast your hubs, swage your hubs on to our drums and then turn your new drums / hubs! Please include your zip code when responding to determine shipping cost. Call us at 714-292-8660 or email us at [email protected] for additional information. Thanks

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 04-12-2021 at 09:19 PM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297009
Old 04-13-2021, 01:22 AM   #7
CarlG

From another satisfied customer -- Randy ROCKS!!!!!!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 AM   #8
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
From another satisfied customer -- Randy ROCKS!!!!!!

Yes he does!
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #9
McMimmcs

Same message only a different author! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
Big hammer

Hey Marshall !! Good to hear from you !! Thanks for posting about Randy's brake, stay safe my friend.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #11
larrys40

Yes I agree . Unless customers bring me drums from other sources I always use Randy’s drums and make a bulk buy. They are great and so is he. I have install many and admittedly so my own show arcing etc but results will stop you on a dime . Complete system restore of mechanicals must be done as well .
Kudos to Randy and his crew .
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
I feel the need to temporarily come out of my self-imposed exile to recommend Randy Gross' cast iron brake drums, as well as the services he offers to the Model A community. To those readers contemplating purchasing Randy's brake drums and his hub swaging and brake shoe relining/arching services, allow me to highly recommend that you make the investment.
To understand this praise, you need to know a little background why I contacted Randy for my first purchase from him. I am in the midst of helping a local Model A owner straighten out the "messtoration" he bought. A veritable rolling death trap with - among other MAJOR mechanical deficiencies - non-operating front brakes and well-used original brake steel drums that had been turned waaaaaaaay past legal limits. But the main problem was that the drums had simply been loosely LAID over the hubs and without the studs being swaged in place - all four of them! The effect was that when the car finally came to a stop via the poorly adjusted rear brakes only, the drums would rotate forward and strike the studs, elongating the stud holes in the drums. The studs had only been tack-welded to the hubs! One can easily imagine what would have eventually happened if this banging against the studs at speed had been allowed to continue! Obviously, something had to be done.
After numerous emails and phone conversations with Randy, I sent the four hubs and eight brake shoes to California for his magic touch. Upon attempting to install the hubs in the new cast iron drums, Randy discovered that the rear hubs were so badly damaged by the tack-welding and wallowed out holes that they were unusable. Rather than going ahead with an unsafe assembly, Randy called me three times over the weekend in the span of 15 minutes to inform me of the dilemma. Instead of leaving me to solve the problem 2000 miles away, Randy offered a pair of good rear hubs to save the day. In addition to the four new cast irons drums, we opted for Randy's relined and arched brake shoe exchange. When the parts arrived, I was bowled over by the quality and attention to detail. Packed to survive a trip to the moon, the parts were well-protected and pleasingly packaged. Randy had even glass-beaded/sandblasted all four hubs! The drums fit perfectly over the arched brake shoes, which means we will have virtually 100% shoe contact right away instead of going through the tedious process of wearing down high spots and making numerous brake wedge adjustments. What a luxury! I wish I had taken advantage of Randy's services long ago. In this day and age where schlock seems to be the norm, it's refreshing to meet someone like Randy, who still conducts business the old fashioned way - with honesty, integrity and a strong work ethic.
You can see in the photos the quality that Randy offers us in this hobby. I consider his prices more than fair, when one considers that the driver's life depends upon good brakes. I can now return the mechanically refurbished Model A to its owner with confidence that the mechanical brakes are the best one can achieve for a Model A, which as old timers in this hobby can attest, are MIGHTY good when the system is properly rebuilt. If you are straddling the fence over whether you should spend the money for the safest mechanical brakes available, ask yourself this: how much is your life and the lives of your passengers worth to you?
Marshall
Is the self imposed exile a group story or a private matter?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #13
Herb Concord Ca

Marshall, it's good to see back posting. You a great story teller. I remember your "dance card" story on your move back to Iowa!!
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

Ha, ha, ha! I wish I'd stayed in Phoenix. BIG mistake retiring to my hometown. Thomas Wolfe was right.
M.