Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
Roger W Gerow

Default Starter Drive Gear

Bought a39/40 without a starter the other day. I installed a known good starter but there is a problem. From what I can see, the cover over the end is missing, ;the drive gear appears to striking the flywheel preventing it from engaging the flywheel teeth! Tried another good starter, same problem. The engine has 59AB heads, so the engine has been overhauled in the past. HERE'S MY QUESTION. When starters have been discussed it seems there is a difference between the automatic transmission and standard transmission drive mechanism! What is the difference. Is the diameter of the drive gear smaller on the automatic system? Are the teeth on the flywheel different? Open for suggestions.
Thanks, Roger
Old 07-19-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Starter Drive Gear

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger W Gerow View Post
Bought a39/40 without a starter the other day. I installed a known good starter but there is a problem. From what I can see, the cover over the end is missing, ;the drive gear appears to striking the flywheel preventing it from engaging the flywheel teeth! Tried another good starter, same problem. The engine has 59AB heads, so the engine has been overhauled in the past. HERE'S MY QUESTION. When starters have been discussed it seems there is a difference between the automatic transmission and standard transmission drive mechanism! What is the difference. Is the diameter of the drive gear smaller on the automatic system? Are the teeth on the flywheel different? Open for suggestions.
Thanks, Roger
Standard and automatic are two different animals.