Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Woody Willy

Question Slow leaking tire tubes

I am about to committ to buying new tires and tubes (21") for my Woody, but I have heard from a couple of people problems with the new tubes (non-US) having leakage problems. It is reported that they lose 7 to 10 lbs. pressure in a week's time. Has anyone had similiar problems recently? Are there any that are made in the USA and sources for same? With the price to mount and balance them I can't afford to make a mistake.
Thanks in advance for the input. Woody Willy
Woody Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Ron Lowe

Default Re: Slow leaking tire tubes

I bought my Firestones and tubes from Bratton's a few years ago and never had a problem. The tubes I bought had the metal valve stems. Ron
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
ChicagoBob

Valve stems are often the problem. Metal stems may solve it.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
FL&WVMIKE

Woody Willie ...................
I bought new four new tires and tubes from Coker's for my '35 and two tubes leaked. They were made in China. They leaked in the seams. You might do better,
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
jmeckel

I purchased two tubes from Little Dearborn in Minneapolis, no problems.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
sturgis 39

Put some Green Slime in them. Easy way to fix a slow leak. I got some at wally world.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
SoCal_Alden

I had a slow leak in one of mine and went to the local auto parts store, purchased a couple new Shraeder valves, unscrewed the old ones, installed the new ones and they've been holding air for a couple of months now. The ones I removed looked to be very old and in bad shape.
Only cost a couple of bucks - might be worth trying before springing for new tubes.
SoCal_Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Mal Content

Bought mine from Mike's three months ago when I ordered my tires. They drop about one pound a month, same as the rest of the tires in the fleet.
Paul
Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
Put some Green Slime in them. Easy way to fix a slow leak. I got some at wally world.

So, you have no problem putting green slime in brand new tubes to stop leaks you shouldn't have?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Keith True

I had a lot of trouble with US made tubes.I bought three sets about four or five years ago,when I went to use them they looked to be dry rotted.In the textured part of the tube,where it contacts the rim,they were all split open.I had taken them out of the wrappers,put a little air in them,and hung them in the cellar.Every one was no good.I had 15 junk inner tubes.I am reusing any good looking old tubes I can find.I have two full sets of 40 year old + tubes,they lose no air over the winter.My new ones I have to air up a couple of times a summer.I bought some foreign ones,so far so good.As far as I can see right now,new tubes are a crap shoot.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Honkey84

Just got four new tires and tubes for my AA. They have been under the frame of my truck for a couple months now and are holding air still. Must be hit or miss with the tubes.....
Honkey84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
theHIGHLANDER

Had 6 new big ones in a Packard. All the metal stems are sealed well, but in 5 weeks they all dropped an even amount except one that I broke down and remounted. I used a bunch of baby powder to help the tube find it's happy spot. Gave it a baby fresh scent too But in other news, we used to run some of the bracket racers tubless and the air would seep through the sidwalls of the slicks. Not at the rim, through those thin wrinkle side walls. When you run only 8-10PSI you don't have a lot of leeway. Our soultion was a solution. Water and baby powder mixed, spread it in there real good. It would then take over a month to drop 5lbs. Just something from the FWIW dept...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
steve s

I bought my Firestones and tubes through Discount Tire in 2007. All have slow leaks--three very slow, one maybe 5lb/wk. DT did the install and I bought the full guarantee, so, if it ever gets to be too big an aggravation, I can always go back and have them fix it, somehow.

By the way, when I was thinking of getting new tires, I stopped at DT on a whim, told the guy what I needed, and--I was amazed--when without batting an eye the guy said sure and whipped out a Lucas (or maybe Coker) catalog, and asked me what I liked.

Sure, they chipped up the rims a bit, but I'm too old to fight with those things anymore. They spin balanced them pretty well with stick on weights too.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
RHD

I have had trouble with many leaking tubes when in the restoration business. All I could get at the time in 19" and 21" were all made in Demnark. Just a load of expensive rubbish. I won't say what dealer sold them, as they might come over here and hit me.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
John LaVoy

We had problems with Firestone tubes years ago. They came apart at the seems. Currently we are running 21" Goodyears and have had no problems.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
steve s....5# a week sounds pretty excessive to me. I don't lose 5# in three months. But to be fair, those are on tires and tubes mounted in 1979. The quality must have been there back then, and is gone today.

Pretty soon all we will be able to do with these old cars is park them in the garage on stands and sit and look at them. At least some text-sending inattentive teenage girl won't smash into you on the street

Or some semi truck driver hit you from behind thinking you were going 60-70 MPH instead of 45-50 MPH!

Been there back in 1984 when I lived in Bakersfield, CA on 99 South. The truck driver swerved to avoid from hitting me.

I have also used the Green Slime...works great...till I have to remove the tire and tubes...what a mess that will be!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
TinCup

The local tire store would not fix a tire that I had inflated with green slime. He said it eats away the rubber from the inside. I told him I didn't see that on the can anywhere
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
The local tire store would not fix a tire that I had inflated with green slime. He said it eats away the rubber from the inside. I told him I didn't see that on the can anywhere

The four wheelers use Green Slime all the time. I have heard that some of the emergency tire inflaters ( comes in a can like rattle can paint with a little hose) for flats makes fixing a flat difficult because the patch will not stick.

I have not heard anything bad about Green Slime. It will fix the present puncture or leak and will fix future leaks. I learned about Green Slime while watching a tire shop change a tire. They had some Green Slime to clean up with a shop rag. It was not a big deal for this tire shop.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
ctlikon0712

TinCup, I think it more likely that they just didn't want to deal with the mess, wspecially in a tubeless tire. It shouldn't be a problem with a tubed tire with all the slime being trapped inside the tube.