Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
farmerdick

Default Front Spring Shackle 1930 Roadster

I trying to get the shackle bolt off the spring perch. I have the "Dog Bone" style shock link. The spring came off easy on its ends but can`t drive the u-bolt spring bolt out of the spring perch. There seems to be a shoulder on the threaded side and is coming up against the perch casting. One other question: When did Ford start using the Tubular Shock Link? Is it any better or worse than the Dog Bone link? Sorry, thats three questions.

Richard
Readfield, Maine
farmerdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: Front Spring Shackle 1930 Roadster

First I'll start with your last question, tubular shock links are original dog bones are a good driver substatute for the tubular links. Dog bones are a great link for a driver car but I don't believe they will pass judging standards. And it sounds like bad bushings wore a shoulder on your shackle bolt. Id try to gring the shelf down or file it so it can pass through.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
farmerdick

Default Re: Front Spring Shackle 1930 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
First I'll start with your last question, tubular shock links are original dog bones are a good driver substatute for the tubular links. Dog bones are a great link for a driver car but I don't believe they will pass judging standards. And it sounds like bad bushings wore a shoulder on your shackle bolt. Id try to gring the shelf down or file it so it can pass through.
Thank you for your help. I finally drove the shackle bolt out through the pearch mount. The peaerch mount support for the bushing was worn to the point it was not salvagable. I have ordered new pearch mounts.
Richard/Maine
farmerdick is offline   Reply With Quote