Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
jg61hawk

Default How Does The Starter Drive Work?

I've been working on my starter and had help here, but I have one last question....HOW DOES THE SPRING AND THE GEAR INTERACT? How does this drive work? I'm 62 and am pretty mechanical, but I can't figure out how this thing operates. Please show me up........tell me the secret!

I know the gear engages the flywheel but what does the big spring do and how does it do it? Thanks....I can't sleep at night!!!

Jim
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: How Does The Starter Drive Work?

I’m not smart enough to provide the link, but go to Wikipedia and search on “bendix drive” it explains the operation pretty clearly.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
katy

Quote:
.HOW DOES THE SPRING AND THE GEAR INTERACT?
The spring helps to absorb the impact of the gear against the ring gear on the flywheel.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

From Wikipedia

"
The Bendix system places the starter drive pinion on a helical drive spring. When the starter motor begins turning, the inertia of the drive pinion assembly causes it to wind the spring forcing the length of the spring to change, and allowing the pinion to engage with the ring gear. When the engine starts, backdrive from the ring gear causes the drive pinion to exceed the rotative speed of the starter, at which point the drive pinion is forced back and out of mesh with the ring gear.
The main drawback to the Bendix drive is that it relies on a certain amount of "clash" between the teeth of the pinion and the ring gears before they slip into place and mate completely; the teeth of the pinion are already spinning when they come into contact with the static ring gear, and unless they happen to align perfectly at the moment they engage, the pinion teeth will strike the teeth of the ring gear side-to-side rather than face-to-face, and continue to rotate until both align. This increases wear on both sets of teeth. For this reason the Bendix drive has been largely superseded in starter motor design by the pre-engagement system using a solenoid."
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote