Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #41
bdotson

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trctrdr View Post
I have the short AA bell housing, although it's not yet installed, it looks like it will only require the pilot be shortened about a half inch.. This transmission has about i 3/16 inch pilot past the spline so I don't think any re-spline is needed. May need to just shorten the spline a little. When I get to that point I'll mount the trans. behind the engine without the clutch assy. to check this.
How much diffrence in the two bell housings?
bdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #42
mrtexas

Ken Parker told me the whole process in detail. Wow, lots of machine work and very exacting. After I heard the process I sold the unaltered transmission I'd bought to modify. $3,000 is a bargain.

I eventually installed a Mitchell overdrive. I got a deal from a forum member where all the assembly had been done with the rear end and radius rods included. I dropped it right in. I love it.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #43
Jason in TX

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but I just wanted to bring up another overdrive option.

With the adaptor from Klings, you can put a 36-39 transmission behind your A that has synchromesh for around $600-800. No more grinding gears. Then behind that put a Volvo overdrive spliced into the torque tube for $1500. This combination is almost $1000 cheaper and does not require cutting the frame.

With the Ford OD, you are limited to 4 gears. With a non overdrive transmission and an overdrive in the torque tube, you actually have 6 gears since you can shift 1st, 1st with overdrive, 2nd, 2nd with overdrive, 3rd and 3rd with overdrive. When climbing a hill last week following a convoy of Model As driving 25 miles an hour, I was really happy to have 2nd with overdrive. It was less than 3rd gear, but stronger than 2nd. The car didn't lug but also stayed at low RPM. Just another thought.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #44
trctrdr

I don't have a car bell housing handy to measure but the AA truck housing is 5 3/8 inch overall length.
trctrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #45
roddyb34

The A Car B/H looks to be 7 and 5 eights,,,,the AA is configured similar to late Ford toploaders with about 5 eights of an inch needed to be trimmed from input shaft when using 3 or 4 speed toploaders or the F150 trans the AA has a nicer mounting surface for the trans.i was keen to use the O/D F150 but they are hard to find in Australia so am going to use a 3 speed toploader hope to find one rejected from an imported mustang just to smooth the operaration ,i have a 3 speed jeep shift and a chunky output shaft to respline just need a trans.what is annoying is 3 speeds are advertised from $40 up in the US but thats not here ,,,,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #46
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
... When climbing a hill last week following a convoy of Model As driving 25 miles an hour, I was really happy to have 2nd with overdrive. It was less than 3rd gear, but stronger than 2nd. The car didn't lug but also stayed at low RPM. Just another thought.
I agree with Jason. I like my 150 trans but would like it even more if 2nd gear were higher. I really could have used it in the hills of WV when we went to the Williamsburg meet. It wouldn't hurt if 1st were higher too, but 2nd is really needed. With my 150, 1st and 2nd are the same as stock A. I think there are other gear options available.

The Mitchell OD gives you lots of options but then you've got two shifter levers to deal with.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #47
PetesPonies

There are several versions of the T5 and each has different ratios. You have choices of 2.95, 3.35, 3.5, 3.97 and 4.03 as first gear ratios. Some are easier to find than others, but still all exist.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #48
callcoy

The T-5 trans can be installed in an A and still use the original closed drive line. There is a kit available thru Steve Serr at Miller High Speed Heads, that provides a brand new bell housing and special rear adapter to convert a 4whl. drive version of the T-5 to closed drive line. Yes it does require the crossmember to be notched for the shift tower. I can not comment on interference with the brake cross shaft, as I moved the member one set of holes to the rear. My project truck came with hyd. brakes started and without any mech. brakes, I just stayed with the hyd. system. I think that you should contact Steve Serr to get answers to your questions.

My installation is not what most individuals would probably do as I am in a frame off situation and require a lower O/D ratio and because of the extra weight of my panel delivery. I need for full syncro., lack of extra levers, easier to use clutch (V-8) for my wife's limitations has resulted in this setup. By the way there are 265 models of the T-5, with O/D's from 18% to 67%. The early models refered to as "non-world class" are just fine for Model A's, gear ratios can be swapped around but I am not qualified to advise about that option.

Last edited by callcoy; 09-09-2011 at 09:47 PM.
callcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #49
trctrdr

While on the subject of ratios, there are three overdrive ratios for the Ford transmission, 26.7%, 37.9% and 41.1%. I have a 26 and a 41, I think the 41 would be too high, so I'm probable going with the 26. Any opinions?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #50
John LaVoy

We are working towards installation of a T-5 into the sedan. There is another kit being worked on and as soon as they have things perfected we agreed to install one for the trip to Michigan next year. This kit is suppose to install with out cutting the frame. We will post something as soon as we get our transmission and kit.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #51
dfish2931nc

Send a message via ICQ to dfish2931nc

That is if you ever get it from him. Many "Barners" are still waiting for for him to show up. He gets the money from you and disappears. Luckly I paid by PayPal and got my money back. BE CAREFUL OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dfish2931nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #52
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish2931nc View Post
That is if you ever get it from him. Many "Barners" are still waiting for for him to show up. He gets the money from you and disappears. Luckly I paid by PayPal and got my money back. BE CAREFUL OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You might indicate who "him" is.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #53
steve s

Quote:
While on the subject of ratios, there are three overdrive ratios for the Ford transmission, 26.7%, 37.9% and 41.1%. I have a 26 and a 41, I think the 41 would be too high, so I'm probable going with the 26. Any opinions?
I'm sure glad I don't have the 41 in mine. It might be ok in a real light model, or coupled with a 4.11 rear end, but too steep for a town sedan even in the flat lands, IMHO.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #54
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Jeeze, if we are talking $3k now, I can install a new Mitchell synchro-ed transmission with a faster 2nd gear ratio, and a 3.27 gear ratio in a fine - point car and do everything you guys are doing and still look 110% stock.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #55
Dave in Boise

Modelaonly.. Your website appears to be down..
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #56
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Boise View Post
Modelaonly.. Your website appears to be down..
Phone is disconnected also.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #57
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
The 27% is the one I have in a Fordor. It works fine! 63mph, or 100 kilometers at 2150 rpm.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #58
trctrdr

The 26 it is.
By the way, if anyone needs a V8 clutch, it's exactly the same as the one used in an older Ford tractor (8N, 9N, 600, and 800) The part numbers are 91A7563 pressure plate, 8N 7550 clutch plate, C5NN7600 pilot bearing and C0NN7580A T.O. bearing. These parts are readily available from any Ford (New Holland) tractor dealer. I have one in my 29 coupe now and it works great.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #59
40 Deluxe

Well, not quite the same! V8 pressure plates have the centrifugal weights on the fingers to add clamping force as the RPM's go up. You can notice this in a V8 car or pickup by revving the engine with the clutch pedal held down. As the RPM goes up you can feel the clutch pedal push back harder. Tractors had no need for these wieghts as they were half the power of a V8 and only ran at 1600-1800 or so RPM.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #60
wensum

Hi there,
Mac's Speed Shop in New Zealand makes a alloy bell housing for this gearbox and I believe they are available in the States?
We have done away with the torque tube and use an open prop shaft, but then you have to deal with the radius rods and possibly fit a torque arm to resist the diff's attempt to rotate
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote