Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
my4dv8

Default Trick to remove OFF ON ignition plate

We wish to replace the a OFF ON plate on our steering column ignition switch With a repop one . . What is the trick to removing the tiny rivets with out damage to the plate , the repop plate from Thirdgen has new rivets. ?
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Trick to remove OFF ON ignition plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
We wish to replace the a OFF ON plate on our steering column ignition switch With a repop one . . What is the trick to removing the tiny rivets with out damage to the plate , the repop plate from Thirdgen has new rivets. ?
Speaking with a LOT of experience...
Forget about damaging the original plate. You're going to replace it anyway.
I use a tack remover specifically designed for upholstery work.
You are removing drive nails. Ever see one? They have a spiral extrusion formed in to them. that's what gives them the "bite". They are not really made to be removed from a blind hole.
You MUST be very careful not to break those two nails (heads) off. If you do, well, let's just say that your odds of not being fully screwed are 100:1.
Removing those (broken off heads) nails from the ignition drop is a horror story.
The repop plate comes with new nails.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
my4dv8

Hmm , thanks for those wise words. Would like to replace the plate ,but maybe better left alone? Sure dont want to make a mess of things.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Cut a slot in them or get a chisel under the plate or Get a nail and tin some solder to it at one end ,then solder the drive nail and it together with a good soldering iron ,then unscrew it

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
34fordy

I am quite sure that you are doing this with the column drop still on the car. That would be the 100% screwed odds that Kube mentioned if you break the top off. I have found that most column drops that I have worked on, the hole for the drive screw is drilled through the drop into the cavity for the on/off mechanism. If the drop is not assembled, a small hard pin can be pushed into the recess to move the drive screw far enough that it is quite easily removed from the outside. Actually I just posted a few 33-34 parts on swap section where you can see a couple I removed in this manner. No damage and still usable. A bit of scotch-brite and they would look like new. And still be original Ford if it made any difference to a person.

Last edited by 34fordy; 10-12-2020 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:40 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have used a auto body stud welder on other drive nails when I didn't want to damage the plate to remove them
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
bmwillia

My column was out of my car when I replaced mine, but I grabbed the head of the drive nail with some needlenose pliers and pulled and twisted opposite the twist of the nail and they came out fairly easy. They were original so I guess I just got lucky they came out so easy, but its worth a try.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
Automotive Stud

I've always put a chisel under the plate. In my experience the repops look cheesy compared to originals. Did you find a reproduction that is stamped like original?
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Lawson Cox

I used a dremmel tool with a cut off disc to cut a screw driver slot in the head of the pin and "unscrewed" the pin. Worked like a charm. (I couldn't do that now as my hands are too shaky.)

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
mike in tucson

An observation regarding the ON/OFF switch plates: The original plates had raised letters...meaning they were stamped. Reproduction plates are found with raised letters OR the cheap ones that are silk screened with flat letters. The raised letter repros are much closer to original. I have seen several "original" 32s with the flat silk screened switch plate...dead giveaway.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Drive screws or U-drive screws have been around since Christ was a corporal. They are used a lot in aviation to hold data plates on to all sorts of components. The smallest sizes are the 00 size which are 0.060" diameter pilot and a 3/32" pan type head. McMaster Carr and some of the rivet companies carry them in multiple different materials. Smaller ones may be available somewhere but I've not needed too many of the really small ones. If the hole goes all the way through then a rivet could be used.

I have a flush cutter tool with a thick set of jaws that I grab & twist them to turn them back out. Most of the stuff I use them on have a bottom to the hole they are set in so I can't drive them out. I've has to replace Lycoming engine data plates when performing STC alterations for high compression cylinder modifications and they require a new data plate to re-identify the type of engine. I use slow set JB Weld on the new drive screws to set them and give them a little better holding power. I blow the holes out with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air a few times before I set them back in.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
glennpm

Like these Channellock 748s?

https://www.channellock.com/product/748/
glennpm is online now   Reply With Quote