Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
David R.

Default Other Model A sites

I really enjoy reading the posts here and seeing the occasional photos (wish it was easier to post photos) and I like to look at some other model A sites as well.
I just wish there was a filter app that would filter out the hot rods. Don’t get me wrong, to each his own, whatever floats your boat and it’s your money and all that and if you like ‘em that’s ok. It’s just that they don’t have any appeal to me, and for me it’s kinda like seeing grandma in a bikini and I would just rather not see them. So if someone knows of an app I could download and filter out the hot rods let me know.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Other Model A sites

At what points does a car go from "original" to "modified for touring" to "hot rod?
I'm not into hot rods either but I like to look at them. The workmanship in them is often every bit as good as a high points original car.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

Hot Rods ...... Oh, the humanity !!
LOL
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
denis4x4

And don’t forget that hot rodders sell parts to the purists for five cents on the dollar!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
And don’t forget that hot rodders sell parts to the purists for five cents on the dollar!
And just when and where does that sale take place? A failed attempt at humor !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
redmodelt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ya you got to skip past those hot 4 bangers with their over head valves and other such evil hot rod stuff! Not! Guess it boils down to what YOU consider a HOT ROD, because what most would consider a hot rod is not even allowed on this forum. You know the ones with chrome for ever, Chevrolet V8s disk brakes chopped tops etc.

There isn't any such app to filter them out.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 PM   #7
CC-Mo

America? America!!
CC-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:43 AM   #8
David R.

I don’t mind the stock engine souped up jobs so much, they are kind of cool; it’s the rat jobs and sbc conversions and complete drive train conversions and chromium everything that cross the line for me. Don’t get me wrong, I have good friends in that crowd and I love them like brothers. It’s just that their creations don’t do anything for me, and Yes you can buy parts from someone who is pulling stock parts to replace with modern. I’m live and let live. Just wish the rods didn’t come up every time I go to Hemmings and do a search for 1928-31 Ford.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
hop up

[QUOTE=denis4x4;1919599]And don’t forget that hot rodders sell parts to the purists for five cents on the dollar![/QUOTE

Dennis you are 100% correct and we strip all that restored stuff off and new old stock . We dont like to use motor trans,radiator,headlights,brakes,gauges,bumpers,wh eels tires even if they are brand new. Plus the car usually comes with a few boxes of parts we dont need like shocks and taillights, i used to bring it to the model a swaps and give it away or trade for v8 parts or accessories .
In fact i am working on a 29 roadster that was a restored car but was a hotrod in its past. We are making it a hotrod again and all the stock was donated or traded off cheap. No harm to the body or chassie so it will be able to be restored in the future. Unfortunately most restoration include Chinese parts now and will leave it at that..
Old 08-15-2020, 06:00 AM   #10
ronn

well David, Im with you on that. I go to ebay and weed out 3 rods for one stocker.
gets old. I appreciate that other people like rods, but not 1 % of interest to me.

your analogy of granny in a bikini was spot on. repulsive! lol

thanks!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #11
David R.

Thanks Ronn, good to know there are like minds. I don’t feel so alone now.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Granny all tarted up with wide whites,stone guards and winged motor meters..not to mention the etched wind wings and those tacoma cream wheels.. look like old bag bingo babes on a polyester holiday..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

I agree !!! I don't much care for the do dads either . What ever makes a person happy I guess . Mine are plain Jane standard models .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #14
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Granny all tarted up with wide whites,stone guards and winged motor meters..not to mention the etched wind wings and those tacoma cream wheels.. look like old bag bingo babes on a polyester holiday..
Then we get the Granny all stripped down with no fenders, wide tires and loud pipes... not to mention the lowered lids and stance and they look like street walkers showing their wares on the corner..
Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Then we get the Granny all stripped down with no fenders, wide tires and loud pipes... not to mention the lowered lids and stance and they look like street walkers showing their wares on the corner..

"That aint no prom date son,that's a cocktail waitress with a Dolly Parton wig"

just a little on the trashy side
Old 08-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

I really like the wares on that one . It wouldn't be too difficult to return that one to original look . It would mostly require removing and replacing a few parts . It appears to still have mechanical brakes , that would be a plus in my view . The top bows are in place . I don't see any damage . It wouldn't be a major task to remove the header and down draft setup if necessary .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #17
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I really like the wares on that one . It wouldn't be too difficult to return that one to original look . It would mostly require removing and replacing a few parts . It appears to still have mechanical brakes , that would be a plus in my view . The top bows are in place . I don't see any damage . It wouldn't be a major task to remove the header and down draft setup if necessary .
Late January '29 sport coupe,frame and engine match,they are stored.Tank date Jan 29th 1929....I have the bones for fine point,just not the desire..I started with A's in the 70's when restoration or full on hotrod was it.,a Tillotson was considered hotrodding..a stock model a really cant be driven here (suburban CA) but a 40's hotrod can,it has the power to keep the idiots at bay without convoy protection. I hang around here cause I was raised a purist and love the car stock...or modified...envy you who live in the country, I'd roll a stocker if I did..
Old 08-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #18
old31

Quote:
Jack, you have a way with words "old bag bingo babes on a polyester holiday"

Well, you better not see my car.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #19
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Late January '29 sport coupe,frame and engine match,they are stored.Tank date Jan 29th 1929....I have the bones for fine point,just not the desire..I started with A's in the 70's when restoration or full on hotrod was it.,a Tillotson was considered hotrodding..a stock model a really cant be driven here (suburban CA) but a 40's hotrod can,it has the power to keep the idiots at bay without convoy protection. I hang around here cause I was raised a purist and love the car stock...or modified...envy you who live in the country, I'd roll a stocker if I did..
"Say hello to my little friend".
1930 stock daily driver.
suburban Huntington Beach, CA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Ford PU.jpg (71.5 KB, 21 views)
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #20
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Nice pickup,I like it..old31 should post up too..