Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Superhart

Default Update - Locking Handles

What an adventure this has been. I purchased a supposedly matched pair of exterior locking door handles on eBay because I wanted a locking handle on the driver's side of my 30 Model A Rod. Turned out they were similar handles but not "matched" in that both handles came with keys but they were not keyed the same. Trip to the locksmith. He said the cylinders were sealed so they could not be rekeyed. Bummer. I don't want three different keys plus ignition key. Back to eBay where I see C.W. Moss advertising a pair of "matched" handles. I E-mail them and get a response that indeed both handles are keyed the same. OK, now we are getting somewhere. On a lark I called Moss asking about getting a trunk handle keyed the same as the door handles. The clerk replies that they can special order a matched set of two locking door handles with a trunk handle keyed the same for a $25 surcharge over the cost of the handles. Not bad at all since my locksmith wanted $38 to rekey one handle if he could have achieved it. The fellow at C.W. Moss was very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend them.

I also had the idea of adding a sliding lock button on the passenger door but in order to do that I would need to modify the passenger door latch. No one has told me exactly what modification would need to be done. I even made a valiant attempt to see if I could find a right door original or replacement latch for cars sold in countries where they drive on the left side of the road like Australia/New Zealand. I came up completely empty there. The only latches available are designated USA Spec.

Just passing this info on to anyone who wants a matched set of handles for their Model A or who has thought about doing any modification.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
OLDMANKOHOUT

Default Re: Update - Locking Handles

INSTALLING 2 SLIDE LOCKS MAY CAUSE YOU SOME GRIEF.The locking handles won't unlock the sliders.
OLDMANKOHOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
V4F

i have shaved door kit in my drivers door . tired of only getting in on passenger side .
but i did leave the passenger door stock , in case of a problem with electric opener . also installed emergency button as recommended . i left the drivers door handle on , but it doesnt work . been very happy with this set up ............. steve
Old 03-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Superhart

Further Update. Will at C.W. Moss actually found a trunk handle keyed the same as the matched pair of door handles saving me the $25 surcharge. Received my package in record time and attempted to install the handles yesterday. The passenger handle and trunk handles went in perfectly and work. The drivers side was another story. When I installed the locking handle and snugged up the screws the latch acted like it was locked. I pulled the handle out and compared it to the original non-locking handle and the square shafts of both handles appeared identical in length including the position of the rounded area near the end of the shaft. Installed the locking handle again and the same thing happened. Then I tried pulling the handle out approximately 3/16" and the latch worked perfectly. Seemed like the end of the square shaft was binding on something in the latch mechanism. I am a stubborn German so I wasn't going to let this stop me or stump me so I got busy with a grinding wheel and a flat bastard file and filed 3/16" of the square shaft down to match the rounded section and tried the handle again. IT WORKED!!!! I have no idea what the problem was since I have not seen the latch mechanism out of the car but I won't argue with success. Now I have locking handles on both doors and trunk all using the same key.

I wonder if anyone else has has a similar experience.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Roxo

Good Job Superhart
Nothing like a good challenge and coming out on top.
Glad to hear you got what you wanted.
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

Glad Moss came thru for you.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
CarlG

CWMoss website says they are out of stock
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhart View Post
...I also had the idea of adding a sliding lock button on the passenger door...

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe an inside slide lock will bolt-on the passenger side with little or no modification. That said, do NOT do it. If the slider button is placed in the locked position and the door is then closed, it will be locked. If that is done from the outside with both doors, you will be locked out with no way to unlock. As OLDMANKOHOUT posted, the key will not open the sliders.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
Superhart

Here is what I found out about installing a slide lock on the passenger door. The sliding lock assembly itself will indeed install easily on the passenger side door inner skin panel. All that is required is to cut the appropriate hole in the trim panel and install the escutcheon. The problem is that the drivers side latch has an extra part on it that actually locks the latch. You would need to install that slide mechanism on the passenger side door latch in order to make the slide button actually work. Not impossible but, then again, not a piece of cake either. You would need to be an expert at fabrication or cannibalize a driver's side latch mechanism. If anyone did that, I would highly recommend to make the driver's side slide button inoperative in some way. I would remove the sliding mechanism and just attach the button in the escutcheon with a small screw to make it "look" correct. Locking yourself out of your car permanently could become an expensive situation to rectify. The latch on the left is drivers side, right is passenger side.

Last edited by Superhart; 03-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
Turbo26T

This discussion about inside door locks on both doors brings up an interesting question.. How else would you lock both the doors from the inside while driving... In todays society , I feel safer while driving by locking both my car doors preventing some bad guy from walking up and opening my door while stopped.
I had thought about doing the sliding lock on both doors ,till I saw the posts bringing out the fact of possibly creating the situation of gettting accidently ,totally locked out..
So , I guess in the '30's they didnt have the crimes like we have today..
Any thoughts on this matter ??

Last edited by Turbo26T; 03-26-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Turbo26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
AL in NY

Superhart, A few years ago I did something similar to what you did. I put the key lock on the drivers side and removed the inside sliding lock mechanism from the drivers side latch and transferred it to the passenger side. I left the slider on the inside upholstery panel for the drivers side (which is for looks only) and bought a second upholstery slider for the passenger side. Now when I'm driving alone in the truck I can get out and lock up the truck without going around to the passenger side. MUCH more convenient.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #12
Superhart

Al, didn't you have to modify the passenger side latch in some way in order to get the sliding lock to work? Everyone says the passenger latch needs to be modified. It seems that in order to do that you need to cannibalize a drivers side latch to get the sliding piece and retainer from that lock and then install that slider on the passenger side latch. I also like the idea of being able to use a sliding lock on both doors while driving to keep out unwanted individuals.

Years ago I was unfortunately the victim of such a situation. I was stopped at a traffic light at night, my passenger side door unlocked. All of a sudden the door opens and a big dude with a large knife jumps in, forces me to drive where he wanted, and robbed me. From then on, I made sure my doors were locked. Thank God nowadays doors automatically lock when you place the car in DRIVE.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
AL in NY

Superhart: I sent you a private message. It should answer all your questions.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #14
desotoguy

FYI, Speedway Motors has paired, keyed alike outside door handles that fit and work as they should with no needed modification.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
FYI, Speedway Motors has paired, keyed alike outside door handles that fit and work as they should with no needed modification.

Wow. I wouldn’t have guessed that. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1930-...hed,94234.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #16
AL in NY

They look like the same handles. One just turned over 180 degrees. Clever marketing.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #17
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Wow. I wouldn’t have guessed that. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1930-...hed,94234.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only 2 problems:
1) They don’t have any.
2) Even if they had some, they won’t ship to Alaska.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 04-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #18
Turbo26T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Superhart, A few years ago I did something similar to what you did. I put the key lock on the drivers side and removed the inside sliding lock mechanism from the drivers side latch and transferred it to the passenger side. I left the slider on the inside upholstery panel for the drivers side (which is for looks only) and bought a second upholstery slider for the passenger side. Now when I'm driving alone in the truck I can get out and lock up the truck without going around to the passenger side. MUCH more convenient.
AL How did you modify the passenger lock so as to have it lock same as driver lock?
Turbo26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #19
CarlG

CW Moss now has them in stock. Received my set over the weekend. Now if I could only get the old ones out of the door. They seem to be permanently in there!

Edit: Got the old ones out, and the new ones in.

Don't think I'm going to mess with the inside locks, not at this point anyway.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 04-27-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #20
AL in NY

Turbo26T, you have to cannibalize the driver's side latching mechanism which isn't that hard. Just drill out the two spot welds and remove the two locking mechanism parts. On the passage side door, drill a 2 holes to affix the those parts to the passenger side latch. Be sure to pick a drill bit that will be a tight clearance fit for the nut and bolt you'll needle to attach them to the latch. I can't remember if I needed to countersink the hole and use a countersink screw for clearance or just use any type of screw and nut. You also have to remove the spring and post from the driver's side locking mechanism and transfer it to the passenger side lock. File and center punch the screws after tightening. Also a post by "Superhart"

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278130

will be of help to you. Good luck......AL.