Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Deluxe Delivery

Default Taking the huckster to it's first show !

41 years ago this coming Sunday, my father, Curtis started what has become a community tradition. The" McClellandtown (formerly Antique) Car Show and Hog Roast." I always like to come up with a theme for each year and this year it will be my father and Model A's. I intend on showing our first project (1966), my 30 coupe, my mostly original Town Sedan, the 31 Delivery we started together right after we finished the coupe, and my latest project, the Shurmeyer Whitney Huckster. This one started with an ebay purchased chassis and a wooden bed purchased from a fellow barner. I have adapted it to accept Briggs Fordoor doors and a traditional model A cowl and windshield. Thought I'd spruce it up a bit, stick on a little temporary gas tank, and DRIVE it the 2 or 3 blocks to our Firemen's Field for this years car show. I think it is important to show folks that some cars are indeed made from scratch...just the way my dad taught me all those years ago. I'll post pics from the show next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06556.jpg (103.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06557.jpg (74.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06559.jpg (80.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06562.jpg (88.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06563.jpg (61.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06565.jpg (58.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06015.jpg (105.6 KB, 63 views)
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Taking the huckster to it's first show !

That ones coming along fast Deluxe, and its great to show folks the work as you go. It is amazing the amount of folks who stop by the driveway to ask questions as you build, and your show can only encourage the shy ones over.
I admire your adaptation on those doors but I am curious of your plans to mate the door tops to the roof. What are your plans for the transition?
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Deluxe Delivery

Thanks, Farrell. When I was missing the interior corner panels of my Delivery, I made a wooden buck of the shape I needed from bolted together 4x4's. Then I bent the sheet metal over it and beaded and flanged it where necessary. They turned out great and are indistinguishable from the originals. I have already made the panels for the transition from thin sheet as a test but am going to redo them in the proper gauge. ( wish me luck) . I also found out about a trashed truck cab over the weekend that the gut says I can have! I might be able to adapt those corners and top. But for now, I really wanted to show the structure of the cab before closing it in. I really enjoy educating folks about our unique hobby. ( I was actually trained as a shop teacher, or Industrial Arts as we called it then.)
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Fred K-OR

Very nice start Deluxe. Looks like you will have a very good "show" car. I know from experience, that hucksters draw a lot of attention at shows. Over the last couple of years we have picked up seven or so trophies at car shows. But I think the most interesting thing about the shows, is the young kids (10 or so years old) really get a kick out of this kind of car. Get many "cool" car comments and pictures taken with their cell phones. Have fun with it.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote