Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
cvicky

Default windshield leak

windshield started leaking this year between where the glass sits in the rubber
hope i don't have to re/re
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Alex Mcknz

Default Re: windshield leak

Is it a new one or an old one?
Alex Mcknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
paul2748

Get some sealant with a cone type spout - peel back the rubber seal (I like the nylon tools for this) and seal it. You could do both the body side and glass side like this. Don't overdo the sealant. I've used NAPA 4121 Windshield Seal
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:16 AM   #4
Jwawhite

Before using the sealant:

Fork seals on motorcycles sometimes start leaking from crud caught just under the lip of the seal.
A plastic tool is used to remove the crud, it's a thin piece about an inch wide? with a rounded type hook cut into it. Has rounded nose on hook as to not catch on the rubber seal.

Take a bottle of windex and liberally wet the leak area down and then slide the hook under the windshield rubber and pull out the dirt. Clean off the tool with a towel and repeat until clean.

My windshield no longer leaks. I used O'wrongly's windshield sealant with the attached nozzle.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
cvicky

old seal but very nice shape
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #6
bobss396

I had my new windshield gasket leak. My glass guy gave me a tube of black butyl sealer which did the job. I had to take the upper trim off and found a couple of gaps. So far so good, no leak.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

I watched a very trustworthy car glass guy seal my '55 sedan windshield.
first, he took a thin plastic trowel and wrapped a cloth around it and sprayed windex on the cloth and on the glass near the seal. He used another tool to pull back the rubber se3al (it was still nice and soft although it was 20 yrs old). He stuck the plastic trowel with the cloth in the groove between rubber & glass and used it to clean out the groove. He got a ton of dirt out of it and started over a few times until the cloth came out clean. After drying the glass, he used a top quality tube of sealant and went all around the windshield. The cone shaped applicator on the tube had a very small hole cut in the end so it wouldn't spit out too much when he pumped the caulk gun. After the caulk was dry, he went around with a one-sided razor knife and cut off any excess.
If you installed your windshield without any sealant between the rubber and the windshield flange, you may never get leaks to stop. The '55/56 Ford car body has two snippets out of the bottom of the flange, one on driver side and one on passenger side. The contour of the metal slopes down toward the inside here so rainwater can collect here and leak down on your floor un-abated without a sealer.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #8
Ford blue blood

I have found "body working" the knife edge to a perfect as possible smooth surface works extremely well. The rear glass pinch weld on my Edsel had a lump of body solder just on the bottom where the roof and quarter were joined that was never removed. There is no way that rubber ever sealed up. The rust trail from the trunk into the rear foot well is a true marker of the leak. The 62 Bird, 65 Bird, the Edsel, the 66 Ranchero and the "new" 57 Ranchero were all treated that way and none of them leaked/leak.

To solve your issue, as mentioned getting all the dirt out between the glass and rubber is key. I would add that after the Windex is done do a final cleaning with rubbing alcohol. Watched this being done a a friends 41 Chevy. After the excess oozed out from under the rubber he used gas to clean off any remnants from the glass.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:03 PM   #9
1oldtimer

With a new repo gasket and new (or old) aftermarket glass (might be thinner) you'll run it to leaks sometimes.

I bought some dental syringes, cut about a 1/4" of the tip off, filled it with black sealant and went around the pinchweld and glass.......worked perfect.

Washed the truck a few days later and no leaks .

1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote