Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Smooth_One

Default 6V coil issue

My car was idling in the driveway on Sunday for around 10 minutes to warm it up before going to a car show and it completely and abruptly shut off without sputtering or anything. I checked all the usual culprits and got to the coil which was showing no power and nobody had one in my town on Sunday so I had to wait till Monday to get one.
My question is somethings still does not seem right or maybe it is working as it is supposed to that when I use my test light with the voltage readout on the side everything has 6 volts when the key is on but when I test it at the coil output that goes to the top of the distributor cap it only has 2.3 V to 2.5 V Whether the key is on or off? Is that normal or is something wrong?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: 6V coil issue

Is it an original or repro coil?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Isaiah, if you want to take voltage readings on the ignition system, you need to temporarily remove the rotor and slip something that does not conduct electricity between the points. I use a business card. Then you can read voltage at any point between the points and the other side of the coil and you should see 6 volts.

It is not normal to read voltage on the wire that plugs into the top of the distributor cap. But if the car runs OK, I would not worry about it.

Make sure you have the polarity of the new coil hooked up correctly, to match the ground that you are using on the battery. If you have the coil polarity backwards, the engine will run but not as well as it will when the coil is hooked up properly.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Is it an original or repro coil?
It’s about two years old from advance auto parts. But it probably has three hours of run time on it total.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
Isaiah, if you want to take voltage readings on the ignition system, you need to temporarily remove the rotor and slip something that does not conduct electricity between the points. I use a business card. Then you can read voltage at any point between the points and the other side of the coil and you should see 6 volts.

It is not normal to read voltage on the wire that plugs into the top of the distributor cap. But if the car runs OK, I would not worry about it.

Make sure you have the polarity of the new coil hooked up correctly, to match the ground that you are using on the battery. If you have the coil polarity backwards, the engine will run but not as well as it will when the coil is hooked up properly.
Thanks Jim! I will check the polarity out again when I get home from work today but I am pretty sure it is correct.
And I will make sure I stick a business card in between the open points and check it all again.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Alternate way to test the coil. Using a multi-meter. This is the method I use.

Ignition off, remove fuse or disconnect battery.
Remove all 3 leads from the coil.
Measure across the coil small two terminals - 6v coil should be 1.5 ohms. 12 v - 3 ohms
Measure each terminal to the coil to distributor output socket - 10K to 14 K ohms.

With battery connected fuse installed, all leads connected to the coil.
Open the points as Jim suggested both sides of the coil should be 6v on the meter to ground.
Close points (or jumper across the points) and one side of the coil will be 6v, the other side is 0V.

Rotor installed, cap and body installed, nothing between the points, coil wire installed.. Remove coil wire at distributor, place free end 1/4 inch from a clean head nut. Place piece of cardboard under the free end of coil wire over to the stud to keep sneak spark path through paint from happening. With ignition on, crank starter, should see a nice strong blue spark. If real weak or yellow - check connections, try checking point gap, and clean points. Try again. If still not good spark possible bad/marginal connections or weak bad coil.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
duke36

If a new repro coil, check if oil filled by shaking it. Some of these are recommended to be installed with the leads on top rather than downward for full internal windings coverage. The original tar/ paste or new epoxy coils can be mounted terminals- down like stock.
Also, 30closedcab test values may indicate an internal resistor if the packaging is unclear.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
DHZIEMAN

A coil used on a 12 volt vehicle that has a limiting resistor is actually a 6 volt coil. I have run Primary resistance checks to validate. Just FYI.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
A coil used on a 12 volt vehicle that has a limiting resistor is actually a 6 volt coil. I have run Primary resistance checks to validate. Just FYI.
We run a 12 volt colt with an internal resistor which yields 3 ohms at each wired terminal.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Some use a 6v 1.5 ohm coil with a 1.5 ohm ballast resister to give total of 3 ohms when used on 12v systems. Configured this way the coil and resistor share the heat dissipation, so the 6v coil runs much cooler than a 12 v coil with a internal resistance of 3 ohms.

Theory is they are the same package and have the same ability to dissipate heat. Less chance of the 6v coil /ballast failing in comparison to the 12v coil.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 05-04-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Mistake correct 12v resistancce form 6 ohms to 3 ohms
Old 05-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #11
Badpuppy

Umm. Both coils consume the same power (6V x 4A vs. 12V x 2A) which means they both dissipate the same amount of heat. The added resistor is an extra heater, consuming the same power as the 6v coil.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

6 V, 6v coil, 1.5 ohms - current 6/1.5 = 4 Amps, Coil Wattage 4 x 6 =24 watts

12 V, 12 v coil, 3 ohms - current 12/3 = 4 amps, Coil Wattage 4x 12 = 48 watts

12 v, 6 v coil with 1.5 ohm ballast, - 6 volts drops across the coil of 1.5 ohms and 6v drops across the ballast 1.5 ohms, current is 4 amps 12/3. Wattage coil is 6 X 4 = 24 watts, Wattage ballast is 6 x4 = 24 watts.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_One View Post
Thanks Jim! I will check the polarity out again when I get home from work today but I am pretty sure it is correct.
And I will make sure I stick a business card in between the open points and check it all again.
Isaiah do you attend the Model 'A' garage meet at Charlie's barn in Sarasota? If so I'll be there next week and will be bringing in a coil / condenser tester I recently built. It's kind of like a Model 'A' ignition simulator.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #14
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post
Isaiah do you attend the Model 'A' garage meet at Charlie's barn in Sarasota? If so I'll be there next week and will be bringing in a coil / condenser tester I recently built. It's kind of like a Model 'A' ignition simulator.
No sorry. I wish I could!
I still do that 5am to 5pm work stuff.
Al Leach invited me last weekend as well.
One of these days I promise I’ll make it.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_One View Post
No sorry. I wish I could!
I still do that 5am to 5pm work stuff.
Al Leach invited me last weekend as well.
One of these days I promise I’ll make it.

Are you sure you are feeling ok? You sound like you have a 24Hr bug coming on.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

12 v, 6 v coil with 1.5 ohm ballast, - 6 volts drops across the coil of 1.5 ohms and 6v drops across the ballast 1.5 ohms, current is 4 amps 12/3. Wattage coil is 6 X 4 = 24 watts, Wattage ballast is 6 x4 = 24 watts.
This is all based w/a non-running coil. The amperage of a coil on a running engine is a lot less.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #17
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Are you sure you are feeling ok? You sound like you have a 24Hr bug coming on.
Ugh ugh cough cough. I think your right I better stay home until Wednesday.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
This is all based w/a non-running coil. The amperage of a coil on a running engine is a lot less.

I agree, you are right since the points are only closed part time. I used this as an example. Still a 12v coil vs. the 6v coil with ballast comparison , the 12 v coil will run warmer.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #19
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

I don't have one to measure, but your former post said 12v, 6 ohms, which seems more reasonable than 3 ohms.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

I have used a three OHM Pertronix flame thrower coil on my 12 volt converted model A roadster for 12 years with excellent results . This is a performance coil that gives instant starts and performance that can be felt . Pertronix also offers a 1.5 version of this coil for 6 volt use . I haven't seen any three OHM coils offered by model A venders . It will no doubt be easier to get a good three OHM direct than just walking in a local parts house and asking for a three OHM coil . Usually the counter man won't know the difference and will ask what model and year car the coil is for . If you say it is for a model A Ford that is probably as far as you will get with that .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I have used a three OHM Pertronix flame thrower coil on my 12 volt converted model A roadster for 12 years with excellent results . This is a performance coil that gives instant starts and performance that can be felt . Pertronix also offers a 1.5 version of this coil for 6 volt use . I haven't seen any three OHM coils offered by model A venders . It will no doubt be easier to get a good three OHM direct than just walking in a local parts house and asking for a three OHM coil . Usually the counter man won't know the difference and will ask what model and year car the coil is for . If you say it is for a model A Ford that is probably as far as you will get with that .
Ha ha ha!!! I asked 4 different parts stores and they said duuhhhhggg what is a Model A?
Great world we live in these days... sigh
Thanks for the heads up on the flame thrower coil. I’ll ya e to check that one out.
And have one as a spare as well.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

I forgot to mention that the epoxy filled coil is the best bet for the model A . The epoxy coil can be mounted and run with the wire connections at the bottom . The oil filled coil is best mounted with the wire connections at the top or the coil can over heat and fail early . . This may not pertain to a performance coil . Others have mentioned coil problems with the coil being hot to the touch . Use of an oil filled coil on the model A can be problematic after a while if not mounted correctly .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
I don't have one to measure, but your former post said 12v, 6 ohms, which seems more reasonable than 3 ohms.

My mistake, have edited it, is 3 ohms.