Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #81
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Success with improvements for touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
If we were to strictly adhere to the standards set by Brent and Ryan, this would be one of the most boring sites on the Internet!
Thanks for the laugh but Oh so true!!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #82
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Another Ahooga?

Larry
Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #83
TDO

My coupe is a driver not a show car. And I have some modifications ,such as a T-5 transmission , 16 inch wheels with 215/75r16 radials. And I love all of them . I feel it's much safer to drive on these modern highways. Although I still don't drive on interstates. And I have LED tail and brake lights. To each his own.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:14 AM   #84
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
OK, you naysayers are correct and I am wrong, I spent all night removing all that stuff from the car. You are correct, an engine with less vibration will not make any difference to the babbitt at all. Turning 2200 @ 70 is of no help, lets just wind it up to 2500 rpm or more and totally fall off the torque curve, you are right. Yep, lets put in a 3.27 and be ready for the mountains. why not a 2.81, I have contacted Snyders to have that special set cut just for me.
In fact, I not only removed all the stuff I mentioned, but I went back in time even more and installed a pile of Model T stuff, it is even older and thus must be even better on today's busy interstates. Man it was all I could do to get that magneto flywheel on that A, but I did it !!!
In fact, why drive it at all? Just trailer it and you'll never have to worry about any of this; that is my next move. Actually why have the car at all?

I have been in 2 clubs and both have had a couple killed and the car destroyed by trucks coming up behind them and smashing them because they were slower than surrounding traffic, but why would anyone care about that?

As I said at the outset, if you don't like it don't do it...which means if you don't like it, don't do it. Run your car however you want. Use rubber band drive; put in a Briggs and Stratton, how about a make&break; what about cucumber drive?

I think some folks on the forum have forgotten to take their medication.
Now, I think some of these folks did not read the disclaimer... if you don't like it, just do your own thing.
I have no problem (ok, maybe just a little) with someone making their A a little smoother and faster in the city or on long tours. So TBird, go for it and ignore the negativity. It's your car anyway.
I know a lot of folks in my club that want me to change this or that. I personally like original. Mine has been that way all these years and I sorta respect that. You can't get it back once it's gone. BUT THAT'S ME! Wifey and I just went on our maiden voyage of 300 miles in Bonnie, and we kept at 45 to 50, even on the 75 mph hwy! Did I piss off truckers? or some of the club members? sure I did. But tough titties! I did my own thing. Maybe our club should go in two groups... fast and slow. They can eat all the best donuts and we'll get leftovers when we come pluggin' along.
I have no argument with you, TBird.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #85
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
See, Model A'ing & discussions about it, CAN be great fun, without anyone gettin' their undies twisted or foamin' at the mouth. Even with my house A.C. on the fritz, it's been a good day! Bill W.
AC? Jeepers, Bill, this is November!
Chuck
Old 11-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #86
Y-Blockhead

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
AC? Jeepers, Bill, this is November!
Chuck
Ummm... It was JULY when Bill wrote that. AND it was over two years ago, 7/24/13!!! Hope he has his A/C repaired by now...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:40 AM   #87
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Ummm... It was JULY when Bill wrote that. AND it was over two years ago, 7/24/13!!!
Ha, I just saw that. Someone decided to raise a dead post. My bad.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:20 AM   #88
mike657894

some people just want to argue
. i like the points you made and are things I may consider. I do want to drive my car out of state and there seems to be stretches that you have to get on the freeway.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:16 AM   #89
Dodge

I have one of each...a completely stock one to enjoy as original and one all the goodies
on it. I like them both just two different rides for different types of driving...
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:27 AM   #90
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I have one of each...a completely stock one to enjoy as original and one all the goodies
on it. I like them both just two different rides for different types of driving...
Like you I have two cars, a totally stock #s matching 31 Roadster and a 31 Slant sedan that has a Touring Engine, Overdrive, Radial Tires, Cast Iron Drums, Pannard Bar and a couple of days ago installed electronic ignition. I really enjoy both cars.

When I sell the sedan it can always be brought back to original because I saved everything that I up-graded so no harm done, but in the meantime I have a car that is more enjoyable, comfortable and safe to drive in the current environment.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:21 AM   #91
Synchro909

As terrific as Model As were in their day, if they were to be produced today, they wouldn't be allowed on the road. I have had MANY miles of enjoyment out of a standard car and one modified for touring so I can see both sides of the story.
We have another long trip coming up in May next year of about 8 thousand miles, towing all the way. Think I will use the modified car.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #92
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
As terrific as Model As were in their day, if they were to be produced today, they wouldn't be allowed on the road. I have had MANY miles of enjoyment out of a standard car and one modified for touring so I can see both sides of the story.
We have another long trip coming up in May next year of about 8 thousand miles, towing all the way. Think I will use the modified car.
That's true, but not necessarily a good thing. As the government tries to mandate how cars must be built to protect us from our own bad driving, the side effect is to make driver's less careful. It's the same thing with salting the roads so no one has to drive on snow or ice. Now with the first snowfall there is a rash of accidents due to careless driving.

If I lived in a hot climate I'd want air conditioning also, and it's hard to drive on many roads without increasing speed above what the Model A was meant to be driven, so a high speed ring and pinion or overdrive is also a big help.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #93
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That's true, but not necessarily a good thing. As the government tries to mandate how cars must be built to protect us from our own bad driving, the side effect is to make driver's less careful. It's the same thing with salting the roads so no one has to drive on snow or ice. Now with the first snowfall there is a rash of accidents due to careless driving.

If I lived in a hot climate I'd want air conditioning also, and it's hard to drive on many roads without increasing speed above what the Model A was meant to be driven, so a high speed ring and pinion or overdrive is also a big help.
Tom, I agree with that! I have a theory that if cars were made without brakes, nobody would go fast enough to cause a crash bad enough to injure a person, let alone kill them. There'd be plenty of dented cars running around but a whole lot less hearses.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #94
apbright

In case t-bird is still reading this for information, here is my experience:
- High compression head (6:1): Gave significant more power, enough to drive in city and freeway traffic without feeling like a roadblock
- Mitchell Overdrive (26%): Gave significant improvement in hill-climbing ability (2nd + overdrive), as 2nd was too high, 3rd was too low for many San Francisco area hills; provided significant improvement in freeway driving (reduced engine noise, better comfort at driving 55-60mph)
- Steering damper: less wandering of car in rutted or uneven pavement
- Panhard bar, rear (just added yesterday): improved stability on freeway, especially on Finland's rutted freeways (metal studded tires are mandatory Dec - Feb., creating significant ruts on many freeways)

I am considering changing the rear from stock to a 1:3.54, even with with the 26% overdrive, for lower engine revs while freeway cruising; I have the gears, but haven't found the time to install them yet.

Last edited by apbright; 04-12-2016 at 01:39 PM.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #95
jscott07922

My first car was a 29 Model A, which I bought using my mustering out pay from US Army in 1946. I bought it in 1947. It was a open cab pickup. A friend and I put a mattress in the back. We then set off from Tucson, Arizona, ad drove it to Kansas. We picked apples at my friend's grandfather's farm, and peddled them around the area. Then on to New York city, and up to New Hampshire. Then on to Chicago, and to Denver, and through Montrose and Silverton, Colorado. We ended up back in Tucson. On this trip, I had to have the engine worked on, burned out the generator, and broke a leaf in the front spring. The next year, made a round trip from Tucson to Los Angeles. Coast to coast in a Model A!
jscott07922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:43 AM   #96
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott07922 View Post
My first car was a 29 Model A, which I bought using my mustering out pay from US Army in 1946. I bought it in 1947. It was a open cab pickup. A friend and I put a mattress in the back. We then set off from Tucson, Arizona, ad drove it to Kansas. We picked apples at my friend's grandfather's farm, and peddled them around the area. Then on to New York city, and up to New Hampshire. Then on to Chicago, and to Denver, and through Montrose and Silverton, Colorado. We ended up back in Tucson. On this trip, I had to have the engine worked on, burned out the generator, and broke a leaf in the front spring. The next year, made a round trip from Tucson to Los Angeles. Coast to coast in a Model A!
What a adventure! that is one adventure I would really like to do in the future, pack up my 31 Slant sedan and hit the road, I would take as many back roads as possible. Today I turned 65! still operating my business and this is very tempting, my runway is getting shorter and shorter so this may be the time to make some changes, but changes are tough. Bottom line thanks for sharing your story it just may trigger a decision!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #97
Brian29

I think a lot of the mods are interesting, but not real dire necessity. My 29 is stock except for turn signals and iron drums. I used to just use hand signals but the dumb asses driving today thought I was waving! I find the stock stuff works fine. I've driven quite far in it, just stay off main roads. Usually if there is a right lane, no one bothers me. Most of the time they slow down to look at it or take pictures. I have found that lots of the guys who have the mods on tours don't know how to fix them and have no extra parts, they should. Most guys have the stock stuff and know how to fix it, and usually it can be done easier on the road. But, as said before, to each his own. If I had the storage, time and money I think it would be fun to build a modifies speedster. Just to add a thought from my father, who was a great mechanic, "stop screwing with it and drive it".
Brian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #98
tbirdtbird
BANNED

This thread prolly makes no sense anymore.
I simply began it as informative based on my personal experience. In no way did I ever suggest the mods I made were essential. I am aware that various owners have often contemplated, 'what if I made this particular mod to the car?", and I was merely attempting to address that.

Several of the responses I felt were outrageous, abusive, inflammatory, and non-contributory, and ignored the disclaimer that I included which was simply, 'if you don;'t like it don't do it'.
Those people have been invited to have lunch with me for free, but no one has ever taken me up on my offer. However, that offer still stands.

I soon deleted the details of my initial post.

In the Dallas club we think nothing of doing 1000 mile tours at the drop of a hat, and there are times you cannot avoid the interstates. Most of us have incorporated various types of uneccessary mods. Before you respond, first tell us exactly what you do with your car.

"but not real dire necessity"
At no time was it said that they were

Appropriate, helpful responses here would be not to focus on the issue of necessity, since it was already agreed they are not essential, but rather to state your personal experience with similar mods; such as , well, I have a Mitchell and I don't like it because......; or I have AC but I don't like it because......

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 07-18-2016 at 04:52 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #99
inex01

Quote:
I simply began it as informative based on my personal experience. In no way did I ever suggest the mods I made were essential. I am aware that various owners have often contemplated, 'what if I made this particular mod to the car?", and I was merely attempting to address that.

Several of the responses I felt were outrageous and abusive, and non-contributory, and ignored the disclaimer that I included which was simply, 'if you don;'t like it don't do it'.
Those people have been invited to have lunch with me for free, but no one has ever taken me up on my offer. However, that offer still stands.

In the Dallas club we think nothing of doing 1000 mile tours and there are times you cannot avoid the interstates. Most of us have incorporated various types of uneccessary mods. Before you respond, first tell us exactly what you do with your car.

Appropriate, helpful responses here would be not to focus on the issue of necessity, since it was already agreed they are not essential, but rather to state your personal experience with similar mods; such as , well, I have a Mitchell and I don't like it because......; or I have AC but I don't like it because......
My Roadster is "Mod" free and my Slant sedan has every "Mod" I wanted and was able to install to make it a "Real World" driver. Yes I like them both equally but use each for different events, around town the Roadster on trips the Slant. Because I do my own wrenching I know what to do if one of my "Mods" fail because I carry the needed backups, but all systems have worked perfectly to date.

My feeling is that you bought the car and can do whatever you like, if you are a "Purest" just focus on your own, same for people like me I focus on my own cars and sincerely care less what anyone says, they did not buy my car for me, then do not pay for my insurance or pay for my fuel so the heck with the critics !
Old 07-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #100
zzlegend

Quote:

Several of the responses I felt were outrageous and abusive, and non-contributory, and ignored the disclaimer that I included which was simply, 'if you don;'t like it don't do it'.

In the Dallas club we think nothing of doing 1000 mile tours and there are times you cannot avoid the interstates. Most of us have incorporated various types of uneccessary mods. Before you respond, first tell us exactly what you do with your car.

Free lunch????? Don't tell me ,,,,,,,,,,,,is chili on the menu?
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote