Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2021, 12:25 AM   #1061
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Camel Lady continued.

The last story was on Cue and Jayne’s outdoor clothing business. I checked Jayne out on the internet and found she has moved to Broome which is a town of 14,000 in the north of Western Australia. In the dry season (winter), the number then increases to 45,000. The attraction being the warm weather. When I knew it in the late 60’s I think it would have been, maybe, 2,000. The town was known for pearling. I read some 300 pearling luggers existed in 1880. I was fortunate to see the launching of luggers in the late 60’s; 120 comes to mind. I understand only one exists today as a tourist actraction, on land.
I have gone to the internet for some facts. This information is in blue print.

industry, 38% were Malays, 20% Philippine, 18% Japanese, 0.9% Aboriginal and 0.8% Chinese. By 1920, Japanese divers comprised one third of the workforce and by World War II, nearly half were Japanese. Almost all divers suffered from the bends (diver’s paralysis) at some time. The mortality rate was as high as 50%.

The pictures below. A tourist attraction; the cemetery is full of Asian tombstones. I have not seen it. Other two pictures are self explanatory.

Broome was shot up on WW2. I don’t know the number of deaths; in particular the injured soldiers and aeroplane crews that were shot up when being flown home to Australia plus Dutch being evacuated from the East Indies. However one notable attack was on float planes in the bay. On board eighty eight died. They had no escape. At low tide some six aeroplane hulls are still visible. (again I have not seen this).

I had many visits to Broome in the late 60’s. I stayed in the tin (ripple iron) Continental Hotel. Most buildings were tin. Today it is a tourist town with up market repugnant holiday units. European capital took this lovely little village and turned to a grotesque town, but the urbane wealthy love it. And there lies the market for Jaynes “Camel Man” wear. Business wise- a good move but I would wonder if she misses the outback and the folk who live out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (10.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 5b43d44c83a3accbfad684552cf3fa77f5b9b3a6-1.jpg (42.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg imgres-2_large.jpg (12.2 KB, 29 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-10-2021 at 12:32 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #1062
Rob Doe

Good one Gary.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #1063
woofa.express

One of many memories from my childhood.

I remember times growing up on our farm. My parents had limited capital and nothing was easy. I was the eldest and needed to work. I enjoyed the tractor work but didn’t like milking cows. Being compelled to work did me good and I often say the problem with kids today they have never had any cow shit between their toes. Or chook or sheep poop whatever.
But I am getting away from my story. We did really need a truck but had to suffice with a tractor and trailer. The pin to attach the trailer was this steel pin about six or seven inches long with a rectangular head. When they were new the shank was square. We had several wooden boxes full of these pins (old and corroded) so if one was lost we had many spares. I later learned dad purchased these from clearing sales. Again I later learned that dad would frequent clearing sales and before such an auction would begin the auctioneer would have a look at the crowd and announce “is Harold (dad) here”. If not the auctioneer would suggest he would postpone the start for a few minutes in hope dad may still be on his way. Dad was a sucker for sundries. Years later I also learned mum would put these “sundries” in the boot of our car (which you American readers call the trunk), drive to the river and chuck them in. Mum would call dad penny wise and pound foolish. Dad had often said he needed one component in a big box of sundries and would have to take the lot. he'd tell mum about all the money he had saved.
Times were difficult for dad and mum when I was a kid. We grew up without expectations of clothing or material goods. My dearest wish was to have a bicycle but that was not possible. Today I see maybe 50 in the local rubbish tip. Times have changed haven’t they? Frequently I think our society is too extravagant.
Well the pins we used to couple the tractor and trailer were infact railway spikes otherwise known as dogs. Very used ones (new ones pictured). I guess it was improvisation and substitution that got us through. When me and my siblings discuss growing up, none of us has any resentment of these times but commend our parents for their courage and perseverance.
We did have three Model A's. However they were Farmall tractor Model A's. (Pictured below- from the internet). One in particular had a high oil consumption and we used waste oil we stored in a 44 gal drum behind the chook house. For a very long time it had stood upright and chocked under one side so as not to ingest rain water. Dad reckon all the impurities would have bottomed out and our pump stem was about one foot off the bottom of the 44 gal drum so it delivered only good clean oil he would say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (10.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg (3.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-13-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #1064
Jim Brierley

woofa, I recently sold my Farmall Model A, never got it running, another missed dream!

Camels are noted for their devotion to their owners, and are rarely penned up. They recognize their owner's voice, and will come to him when called. They can also drink salt-water with no problems. If I sound like an authority on camels, I still have some stock in that bridge and will sell if the price is stupidly high!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #1065
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
woofa, I recently sold my Farmall Model A, never got it running, another missed dream!

Camels are noted for their devotion to their owners, and are rarely penned up. They recognize their owner's voice, and will come to him when called. They can also drink salt-water with no problems. If I sound like an authority on camels, I still have some stock in that bridge and will sell if the price is stupidly high!
Hi Jim. In Au we have a well known bridge (picture below) that was once sold at a give away price to a gullible buyer. But he was never able to acquire the deeds to it. This was before the internet.
If you wish to sell your bridge in Brooklyn engage a Nigerian salesman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-2.jpeg (21.8 KB, 3 views)

Old 05-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #1066
TomIII

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I learned to drive @ age 13 in a 1931 A touring on Isle Au Haut I., ME:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 July Isle Au Haut TTA3 & Ford A.jpg (64.0 KB, 14 views)
TomIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #1067
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomIII View Post
I learned to drive @ age 13 in a 1931 A touring on Isle Au Haut I., ME:-)
Welcome Tom. Do write a story about that. If you currently have a Model A write about that too. We'd all like to read about both. cheers, gary.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #1068
woofa.express

B and C’s Motorcar.

Patsy and I enjoyed the movie “The Highwaymen” (Netflex) which was another Bonnie and Clyde. Had the same theme and plot as they all do but there was one notable feature. Of the many many motorcars all but one were Fords. Mostly Model A’s, some T’s and a few ‘34’s, mostly Fordor’s. How much did the Ford Motor Co pay the makers of that movie I wonder. Considerably I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg (7.6 KB, 18 views)

Old 05-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #1069
woofa.express

Mice Mice Mice everywhere. Trillions of them.

Central New South Wales and Southern Queensland have a mice plague. Wheat bunkers and silos plus hay stacks are being destroyed by trillions of mice. New emerging crops of canola are also being destroyed but it’s fortunate cereal is not yet planted. They are in buildings and homes. I live on the outer southern reach of this region and my house is built to be rodent free but our outside guest quarters are not. I found mice, nice and comfortable beneath the doonah on a bed. I catch between 3 and 6 each night. Remember I live on the outside of this plague region. But mice are only part of this story. It’s about a world wide institution that wants to save these smelly and destructive little creatures. You may have guessed it’s PETA or people for the ethical treatment of animals. Who are PETA you may ask. Below is what I copied from Wikipedia:

Founded by Alexander Fernando Pacheco, born in Illinois who founded Animal rights advocacy
Founder, 600 Million Stray Dogs Need You
Co-founder, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
And presided (president) over by Ingrid Newkirk, a British woman who witnessed a distressfully and unnecessarily and cruel killing of a dog.

Articles are appearing in the Australian media putting their case. They, PETA, have become a laughing stock and would not be doing their cause any good at all. Some of their other causes can be equally as foolish but unfortunately they do have a negative influence on the farming industry’s meat and wool markets.

Appearing in Australian newspapers is a PETA spokeswoman Eleesha Naxakis. Take a gander at her picture below. Young, attractive and I’m thinking personal attention seeker. I’m wondering if she is representing PETA or is it a personal promotion of herself seeking a modelling career? You can make a decision yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43169993-9594867-image-a-16_1621414265361.jpg (52.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-3.jpeg (10.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg images-3.jpeg (12.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-20-2021 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:33 PM   #1070
woofa.express

The current mice plague pressure has declined and I hope perhaps has finished. We have had some frosts. I am told it was not as bad as the 1917 plague. photo below. Now that's not a picture of lawn clippings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (14.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-15-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #1071
woofa.express

Lessons I learned.

Three weeks ago I travelled north to Queensland and over nighted in a motel at the border town of Goondiwindi. In the morning I packed the ute and placed the carry case containing my computer, camera and Patsy’s tablet on the tray with intention of placing it on the top of my luggage I was still packing in the rear cabin. Well I drove off and didn’t give it a thought and it wasn’t until I arrived at my destination did I realise it was missing. It had fallen off or being stolen, probably the former.
I expected it to be in Goondiwindi and had an advertisement placed in the local newspaper and on local radio. My wife’s niece Bernie placed a help notice in the local Facebook. I have faith in people and expected it to be found and returned. I was both right and wrong. Yes, Bernie received a call from the finder/thief and asking for some $2,200 for its return. I knew I was cornered and just had to pay this extorsion money. Eventually the amount Bernie negotiated was $800 and at Checkpoint Charlie where the exchange took place, not all items were returned. This was not surprising because the extortionist was from a group of mixed blood people in Australia who are disproportionally in government care from children through to adults. (However I still have faith in humanity’s goodwill.)
I had the persons name, Crystal (surname withheld) and I joined Facebook to send her a message. I was reasonably polite but I did say if the remainder of the items weren’t returned in 36 hours I’d go to the police. Well Facebook replied to say I was expelled for my message was not in line with community standards. Banned after my first ever use of this facility.
Why am I telling you this? Well I learned some lessons from it and maybe they could be of value to you too. My computer had a password, just a garden variety one and thus my computer was of little use to this extortionist/thief. The stick-on badge had been removed so it was the intention of Crystal’s to keep it. Only when the password stopped her she realised it was of no use to her. My wife’s tablet was rehashed because it had no password to prevent entry. Lesson, use a password to open your devise. Secondly I didn’t have my name or address on the carry case or items. That has now changed. Thirdly, I will travel with a tablet not my valuable computer. Fourthly, back up to the cloud or a keep, at home, a hard external drive.

The good news to conclude with is; I don’t have to go to my son who gave me this computer, and confess. And of course I can read this forum and continue to write my stories.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:22 AM   #1072
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Lessons I learned.

Three weeks ago I travelled north to Queensland and over nighted in a motel at the border town of Goondiwindi. In the morning I packed the ute and placed the carry case containing my computer, camera and Patsy’s tablet on the tray with intention of placing it on the top of my luggage I was still packing in the rear cabin. Well I drove off and didn’t give it a thought and it wasn’t until I arrived at my destination did I realise it was missing. It had fallen off or being stolen, probably the former.
I expected it to be in Goondiwindi and had an advertisement placed in the local newspaper and on local radio. My wife’s niece Bernie placed a help notice in the local Facebook. I have faith in people and expected it to be found and returned. I was both right and wrong. Yes, Bernie received a call from the finder/thief and asking for some $2,200 for its return. I knew I was cornered and just had to pay this extorsion money. Eventually the amount Bernie negotiated was $800 and at Checkpoint Charlie where the exchange took place, not all items were returned. This was not surprising because the extortionist was from a group of mixed blood people in Australia who are disproportionally in government care from children through to adults. (However I still have faith in humanity’s goodwill.)
I had the persons name, Crystal (surname withheld) and I joined Facebook to send her a message. I was reasonably polite but I did say if the remainder of the items weren’t returned in 36 hours I’d go to the police. Well Facebook replied to say I was expelled for my message was not in line with community standards. Banned after my first ever use of this facility.
Why am I telling you this? Well I learned some lessons from it and maybe they could be of value to you too. My computer had a password, just a garden variety one and thus my computer was of little use to this extortionist/thief. The stick-on badge had been removed so it was the intention of Crystal’s to keep it. Only when the password stopped her she realised it was of no use to her. My wife’s tablet was rehashed because it had no password to prevent entry. Lesson, use a password to open your devise. Secondly I didn’t have my name or address on the carry case or items. That has now changed. Thirdly, I will travel with a tablet not my valuable computer. Fourthly, back up to the cloud or a keep, at home, a hard external drive.

The good news to conclude with is; I don’t have to go to my son who gave me this computer, and confess. And of course I can read this forum and continue to write my stories.

Wow. I’m sorry that happened to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:07 AM   #1073
Fomoco998

X2 on wow I've always said there is NO HONOR AMONGST THIEVES sad how times has changed from yesteryear .
Fomoco998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #1074
stevemclark

My Grandfathers neighbor bought a 1930 deluxe coupe new in the fall of 1930,when he got a new car in 1951 my Grandfather bought the coupe for $100 .My Grandmother drove as her car car until she bought another car after WW2 then my dad drove it.I have been working on it the last two years on an all original car that has everything on it that could wear out was.$12000+ and I have replaced everything to much to list.The car has 82000 miles on it and was always inside so the body has no rust or dents.The last I will do is paint it and replace the interior and maybe new safety glass although it was redone in 1972 and was parked in 1975 after the motor was completely rebuilt in a shop in Richmond Va. for $250 it had less than 100 miles on it since then and sat in the back of my dads 1200 sq ft storage building until I started on it again. It runs and drives as good as ever now.I can remember when I was a boy riding on the running board in the 60's, try that today.I was surprised that you can buy almost every part new or reconditioned.Rebuilding the brake system was different ,so was the gas guage.I am amazed how modern a 90 year old car can be made and still look the same. I have added turn signals to the cowl lights 1157 bulbs and a right tail light ,6 volt 60 amp alternator,seat belts , more modern distributor but still with points. All LED lights except the sealed beam headlights added in 1972 behind stock lenses that I might go LED too but am happy with their light for now. I kept the trunk instead of the rumble seat for more cargo room, I see trunks as rare .
Old 06-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #1075
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemclark View Post
My Grandfathers neighbor bought a 1930 deluxe coupe new in the fall of 1930,when he got a new car in 1951 my Grandfather bought the coupe for $100 .My Grandmother drove as her car car until she bought another car after WW2 then my dad drove it.I have been working on it the last two years on an all original car that has everything on it that could wear out was.$12000+ and I have replaced everything to much to list.The car has 82000 miles on it and was always inside so the body has no rust or dents.The last I will do is paint it and replace the interior and maybe new safety glass although it was redone in 1972 and was parked in 1975 after the motor was completely rebuilt in a shop in Richmond Va. for $250 it had less than 100 miles on it since then and sat in the back of my dads 1200 sq ft storage building until I started on it again. It runs and drives as good as ever now.I can remember when I was a boy riding on the running board in the 60's, try that today.I was surprised that you can buy almost every part new or reconditioned.Rebuilding the brake system was different ,so was the gas guage.I am amazed how modern a 90 year old car can be made and still look the same. I have added turn signals to the cowl lights 1157 bulbs and a right tail light ,6 volt 60 amp alternator,seat belts , more modern distributor but still with points. All LED lights except the sealed beam headlights added in 1972 behind stock lenses that I might go LED too but am happy with their light for now. I kept the trunk instead of the rumble seat for more cargo room, I see trunks as rare .
You were most fortunate to inherit that motor car Steve. That is a must keep. Enjoyed reading your story. cheers, gary

Old 06-18-2021, 06:46 AM   #1076
Tomball

I was a high school senior at Petaluma H.S. In 1965. I had a buddy named Steve who would pick me up each morning in his 1930 bright yellow (I know) Model A coupe. I remember being impressed at how well the car ran, condidering that it was 35 years old. Steve said the Model A’s would run forever! After high school I joined the Army and went on with my life. After retiring from the oil business I now have my own 1930 coupe (black) and I am still impressed. Mine is over ninety years old and runs like a Singer sewing machine. I think maybe my buddy Steve was right.
Tomball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #1077
jerrytocci

https://imgur.com/a/zAR9Tca seven month build from chassis up and some engine work
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #1078
woofa.express

This is a bit of a travel log.
I drove to Brisbane, Queensland (900 miles), to take delivery of a new propellor for an Airtractor: 4 blade and reversable. Cost, nearly $100k Au. In 2016 I took delivery of a 3 blade constant speed prop for my Bonanza: cost $9k Au. Rising costs may well force out some aviation interests. This is the trip where I had my computer lost/stolen. End of chapter1.

On traveling home from Queensland we overnighted at Parkes, a town of 12,000 people, in central NSW. It’s undulating country and red soil make it a delightful town.
This town has a major event during the second week of January which coincides with the birthday of Elvis. This is because it is their Elvis festival. The town’s population expands to more than 39,000. Part is a competition to find the most look a like and another for the best impersonation which includes the competitors on stage with guitar. The dolly birds dress in period clothing, pulka dot dresses, bright lipstick, sunnies and hair doos. They too have a competition for the best period dress. Well what a show. I am not an Elvis fan (Al Jolson is more in line with my taste) and have never been to this festival, but by coincidence some years ago we were traveling north at the time and stopped for a while to watch. Yes, it was entertaining.
A second event put Parkes on the world map, a little bit anyway. 1968, remember that year? Armstrong and co flew to the moon. America could not track their capsule when the earth shielded their view and this was done by the telescope at Parkes. This dish is about 5 miles north of the town. A movie was made of this but not a very good one. The towns tourist industry is still clinging to their fame of more than 50 years ago.
((Now for the star gazers. To the north is the town of Coonabarabran where several well-known telescopes enclosed in spheres are located on the Warrumbungle ranges and a little further north again is a circle of smaller telescopes about 20 in a circle of about a quarter of a mile in radius. I looked this up on the internet and found them now in a straight line. I’ve seen the circle many times from the air but the internet shows them all in a straight line. For those interested it’s all on the internet. Just google.))

This is a bit of a travel log which won’t interest many readers. Also whilst at Parkes we chatted with a personable woman, formally a New Zealander who has lived in Australia for many years. Her husband was currently in Lithuania having inherited his grandfather’s farm which included a delightful old home, but it did need some renovation she said. This woman was disposing of their Australian assets with view of permanently settling in this European country which is located on the Baltic Sea about half way between Moscow and Denmark. I went to the internet to find more on Lithuania and it seems a lovely place to visit; narrow streets with old picturesque well-maintained painted adobe houses (they looked to be so anyway) with potted flowers on the windowsills.
Their intention was to breed Fin sheep. Fin as in Finland. They had started their program and I asked how the size of their flock at present. Six breeding ewes she said. I had a silent chuckle to myself, silent because I didn’t wish to ridicule or belittle her. She, and I, were on the doorstep of a well-known NSW property which produces 6,500 stud ewes and rams every year. Well known because it is a very productive, well managed family property with a fine history of merino sheep breeding.
Only 20 miles south of Parkes is the town of Forbes which was established when gold was found. A quote from Wikipedia-

Gold was discovered by Harry Stephan, also known as "German Harry", in June 1861.[5] Initially about 30,000 people moved to the goldfields, but by 1863 this had declined to about 3,500 because of the difficult mining conditions.

Australian gold towns and past gold towns are easily identified by their grand buildings. Amongst others are Ballarat, Bendigo, Gympie and Kalgoorlie.

We arrived home the following day. A slow and careful drive with this high and valuable load. Careful not to park under motel verandas and drive through the drive through at McDonalds.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #1079
woofa.express

To hear “I don’t know" sounds Great to me.

I worked 5 years as an itinerant pilot in both peninsula Malaysia and Borneo Malaysia. They have miles upon miles of oil palms and my job was to spread fertilizer on these trees.

If I ever wanted to know something I’d ask a local because they always seemed to know. But I quickly learned they would give an answer even if they didn’t know. They seemed obligated to do so. This was of course irritating.

Each morning when I went to work I’d instruct my work buddies to tell me if they didn’t know the answer to any of my questions. That transition took a long time and made them a little uncomfortable at first but eventually I got through to them. End of chapter one.

Throughout Australia most towns have a “Men’s Shed”. A great organisation. It is a national organisation and may well be an international one, I don’t know. It provides tools and machinery for wood or metal working. Our town has a population of about 2,000 and has 12 members, half are my former farmer clients, now retired. Whilst we do work we do have long morning teas where we talk and tell fibs.
One member is in his mid 90’s, he is Ed, a former manual arts teacher at high school. I asked him if he could come home and cut some glass for my under-construction glass house. When he saw the glass he asked is it safety glass. Yes it was, - shower screen glass I picked up at the local rubbish tip. He said no he couldn’t cut it. One bloke from the men’s shed asked if an angle grinder would do the job. Ed’s answer was “I don’t know”. That answer is what I like to hear when the answer to the question is unknown. Chapter one tells you why this was so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (9.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (16.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 06-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #1080
katy

Quote:
One bloke from the men’s shed asked if an angle grinder would do the job.
It might, if the cut was kept flooded w/water to keep it cool.