Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2021, 06:19 AM   #21
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 57 PS valve removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWRIDER View Post

I used a ball joint press kit from Oriely's to r&r the suspension bushings on my 61.
There you go, innovation ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:58 AM   #22
koolkatt

Default Re: 57 PS valve removal

This job may be completed by this time but with the engine out I have used a come a long to compress the springs. If you hook the tool to the other side( like on the upper control arm shaft) pull the cable out and over the frame to the lower control are that you need to compress the spring. Set the spring in and tighten the come a long enough to attach the spindle to the arm you have left to connect.
Granted, it sounds sketchy but it works.
Same thing for the other side.
As long as you have a quality tool, some common sense, a little bravery, you shouldn't have any problems.
I have used this method many times. I am a retired ASE Master tech.40 yrs experience. It's not for everybody but if you don't have or can't get your hands on the proper tools that you need to do the the job at hand, sometimes you have to come up with alternate ways to get the job done.
Before I get a bunch of people yelling at me, like I stated previously " it's not for everyone"
Another method only works if the shock is inside your springs. Get your hands on some 1 inch threaded rod, a piece of steel that can fit in the spring enough to hang out some on each side ( strong enough to hold its straightness while the spring is compressed) bore a hole through the piece of steel and assemble this so you can compress the spring in the middle (where the shock used to be) using the threaded rod through the shock hole. put some nuts on both ends and don't forget to lubs the threads. Draw up the spring until you can get the lower A arm out of the way,then loosen the tension on the spring and remove it. Put it back together reversing the procedure.
Have a good day!
Even if you have the correct tools always be carefull.
koolkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)