Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Warner T-9 question

I am cleaning up a 4 sp crash box that was given to me by a fellow barner. I have owned a lot of them over the years, but never worked on one. In the schematics I can see on my screen I can't make out all the small parets. My question is do they have a replaceble oil seal at the end of the shafts? Doesn't seem so. Just a slinger or something? I will be swapping the pickup truck mount for a big truck mount soon and seems a good time to renew the seal. If so, part #?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Warner T-9 question

Does this drawing help?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Mac VP

Which shafts are you referring to? There is no seal at either end of the countershaft or the reverse idler shaft. They are machined with a slightly larger diameter at the rear ends of each. That creates a very tight fit at the back of the case. We just spread some sealer at the front of the countershaft pin.

The shift rods in the shifter housing don’t have seals at either end. The ends are closed off with expansion plugs at the one end only (the detent ends I think).

The later T9 transmissions have a regular oil seal for the output shaft.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Thank you both! It is a later T-9 I think because it has the bolted on mounting bell. Is the seal pressed into the rear mount? I guess I'll see on Saturday, but would be nice to get a new one coming. Is there a part # that my napa store would recognize?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
burnette

hi gary ! mine didn,t have a front seal .
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
1952henry

There is a seal in the rear mount.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
GB SISSON

I will pull the big truck rear mount off a junker trans I have. I can see it also has a pressed in rear seal even though it has the half bell cast into it.
Thanks all, GB
Old 10-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
rotorwrench

That sounds like the Canadian version with the cast in half bell. These transmissions were throw backs to the 1930s. They made them with few changes all the way up into the 50s. The reverse interlock control is the way to tell if it's an older one or not. Ford used the T8/T9 design for near 20 years.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #9
1952henry

I think reverse lockout went away after 1942.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
GB SISSON

My two cummins generator engine conversions in old ford trucks required GM sm465 granny low four speeds because that's how there were set up for UPS trucks. Well I just had to say they are very hard shifting. Downshifts into second seem the worst. They just don't wanna glide into the next gear. These T-9s shift like silk once you get used to the method and the facts of life surrounding a good crash box. And who doesn't like that nostalgic gear whine?
Old 10-29-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
Mac VP

They all had a reverse lockout mechanism. The early version had a little trigger finger release just under the shifter knob. Those were also obvious by the skinny rod that ran from the trigger down into the shifter tower. On the later version they did away with the trigger and designed a spring loaded release into the part of the reverse shifter rail. You knew you were headed into the reverse position because of the spring tension on the shifter lever as you moved towards the reverse position.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote