Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
waynet

Default What does this engine stamp mean?

Ford folks,
What information does this engine stamp tell us about our '48 Mercury M7 (F1) pickup engine? The number is stamped on the top of the cylinder block in the right rear corner (passenger side).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210929_171231_001.jpg (89.6 KB, 798 views)
waynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: What does this engine stamp mean?

Please post a larger photo of the engine and surface where that # is stamped.
Sometimes numbers were stamped on the machined surface on the top of the block where the intake bolts that coded engine manufacturing info.

Here's a pertinent thread.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-where.427102/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-22-2021 at 09:46 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:30 PM   #3
waynet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Please post a larger photo of the engine and surface where that # is stamped.
Sometimes numbers were stamped on the machined surface on the top of the block where the intake bolts that coded engine manufacturing info.
That is exactly where the stamp is located - on the machined surface next to where the intake manifold is bolted.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Ford folks,
What information does this engine stamp tell us about our '48 Mercury M7 (F1) pickup engine? The number is stamped on the top of the cylinder block in the right rear corner (passenger side).

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #5
Tinker

Stamp font is "okay". At least the star is good. The stamps should be about a 1/4" high. Funny thing I clicked on the picture and made it big.

None of the stamping on the motor really matters outside a 4 banger regarding factory serial information. Maybe some speculation of a factory order. Maybe... or most likely it's a re-builders stamp that might tell you about the motor. Not anything else, to me. But I could be wrong. Q stamp has no linage that I'm aware of.

It could just be a stamp made over the years with little significance other then a possible re-builder stamping or something else. Nice project. Best of luck! Keep asking questions!

Last edited by Tinker; 10-23-2021 at 12:42 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:56 AM   #6
waynet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Stamp font is "okay". At least the star is good. The stamps should be about a 1/4" high. Funny thing I clicked on the picture and made it big.

None of the stamping on the motor really matters outside a 4 banger regarding factory serial information. Maybe some speculation of a factory order. Maybe... or most likely it's a re-builders stamp that might tell you about the motor. Not anything else, to me. But I could be wrong. Q stamp has no linage that I'm aware of.

It could just be a stamp made over the years with little significance other then a possible re-builder stamping or something else. Nice project. Best of luck! Keep asking questions!
Very informative. The "Q" & "E" is throwing me some what. Would a rebuilder have a "Star" stamp in his tool kit or is it unique only to Ford assembly line?
Old 10-23-2021, 01:00 AM   #7
Tinker

Star stamps are not impossible to make or get. Lots of places make them now also and the ford correct stamps. It's not special. But they wouldn't have been used on the motor after 31 at the ford factory that I'm aware of. Almost every ford dealership coast to coast had a set.

I don't know if that is 100% a real ford stamping as you can never say never. I'm sure someone can add. But my guess and belief is it is not other then a re-builders info on a v8. It might be very helpful in decoding a rebuild. Maybe the Q/e means queens english or quagmires equipment. Someone will tell ya!

Last edited by Tinker; 10-23-2021 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:34 AM   #8
deuce lover

The form of the number "9"or "8" is not typical of the Ford chassis stamps.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
The form of the number "9"or "8" is not typical of the Ford chassis stamps.

The numbers look like the ones used prior to early 1931.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931_02-fig_1118.jpg (18.2 KB, 5 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #10
waynet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
The numbers look like the ones used prior to early 1931.
The number font maybe of the older style but it is an 8BA engine with the remains of pale blue paint still on the engine block and cylinder heads.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #11
tubman

I would expect that it is stamp applied by a former rebuilder, who is probably the only one that could decipher it, and they are probably long gone.

As a former Corvette "matching numbers geek", I always wanted the numbers to mean something, but alas, it is not to be.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

I have done similar things when sending a block out for Redi-strip or chemical cleaning. I do have a set of the later numbers with the odd 6 and 9 and 8 and capital I and star. I put the last few digits of the VIN of my car on the block so that I am sure I get the same block back. Never used the star though. I put them on the pan rail.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 10-24-2021 at 10:44 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #13
Tinker

To add the rest of the ad to Bobs C helpful image. It's from the model A restorer magazine. This set pictured doesn't include the arrow dash or the B or C (canada).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stamps.jpg (60.3 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 10-24-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #14
Tinker

Last edited by Tinker; 10-24-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #15
rotorwrench

Ford of Canada did a lot of things differently than Ford USA. Having Mercury pickups and trucks was only part of that. They had different vehicle/engine identification numbers as well. Now I don't know if that number has anything to do with the vehicle but it may have more to do with the engine it is stamped on. Ford USA didn't stamp any ID number on their engines that were more than two digits or represent anything other that a date code or inspection department stamps. Some US states may have required numbers stamped on engine in certain time frames but those would have been stamped on by the sales agencies in those states. Canada may be different.

This link has Canadian Ford passenger car serial number sequences but has no information on trucks or commercial vehicles. It does illustrate how different their system was though. What they used for the trucks is unknown to me. Perhaps some Canadian members would know more about this. http://wnyrg.org/canvins.html
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:06 AM   #16
waynet

Quote:
Ford folks,

Folks, I would like to resurrect my above post, very briefly, again. The engine number in the pic is still perplexing. I cant find any other stampings or castings on the 8BA engine block other than the one in the pic. One thing that I can confirm is that the "stamped" number on the 3 speed gear box exactly matches the engine number on the ID tag on the firewall. As well as that both engine and gearbox are painted the exact same blue color as if they were painted as one.

Many thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:39 AM   #17
petehoovie

Quote:
Folks, I would like to resurrect my above post, very briefly, again. The engine number in the pic is still perplexing. I cant find any other stampings or castings on the 8BA engine block other than the one in the pic. One thing that I can confirm is that the "stamped" number on the 3 speed gear box exactly matches the engine number on the ID tag on the firewall. As well as that both engine and gearbox are painted the exact same blue color as if they were painted as one.

Many thanks in advance for any answers.
See this thread > https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308121

On late model flatheads without the bell housing cast into the block (1949-1954), the number is located on the right-rear corner of the intake manifold gasket surface. It is visible with the cylinder heads and manifold on the engine.
See > http://myflatheadford.com/5988-2/

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:54 PM   #18
Tinker

Only the model a had "serial" stampings, to match frame on the line. No v8 had a engine stamping relating to a vin/Serial. Now there could be some some weird block in a strange land that was.

I'd really ignore it, lot of different stamps that happen over 80+ yrs and don't always mean things or mean nefarious intent. Could just be a engine rebuilder stamping. So break that down.

Is it a title concern? You said it doesn't. All that matters is if the state agrees with you anyways. The double stamping of the "two" lets you know it's probably not factory and is very little to think about, well in my mind.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-11-2022 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:51 AM   #19
waynet

Would it be reasonable to think that the stamped number "QE22958" refers to engine manufacturing location Quebec "QE" and Engine Production No. "22958"?