Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Brent

Default A few questions Regarding Aftermarket Sheet Metal Parts

My questions are in bold... everything else is just "details."

My 1930 coupe is about to get the "full treatment" to get it back into shape. It needs a few patch panels, full-on subframe and some work in the trunk/rumble area. As well, I need a set of 1930 splash aprons and running boards. My questions are all regarding these items:

First, are the sub-rails made by the same company? Or are there different manufacturers, better quality, etc.?

And, further, do you have a preference of retailer to buy your sheet metal parts?

After a 3-year search, I've found fenders that are acceptable for my project. My issue is, I need 1930 aprons and running boards. I assume my fenders are older reproductions.

I'm wondering, though, will I run into fitment issues with the apron/running board?

Everything I've read has to do with where the apron meets the fender, seems like the fender is more of the problem in fitment than the apron, no?
A couple patch panels and perhaps a door skin are going to be fabricated rather than purchased because these can be fabricated to more exact standards by the gentleman doing the work. But other things like panels and bracketry in the trunk I'd prefer to buy the best available. And, these questions really come out of searching/reading without answers... I'd like to get everything ordered so I can get the body into shape.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
duke36

Default Re: A few questions Regarding Aftermarket Sheet Metal Parts

May want to check with Gaslight Parts in Ohio. They were the ones making the repro fenders, etc. but may be others now.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
wrndln

I my experience, almost all repro sheetmetal parts are not made quite right. The exception is the die stamped floorpan for 28/29 roadsters, coupes, phaetons and maybe other years - they are right on! This is the under front seat with a X pattern stamped on it. Howell's in Texas is the the worst - I swore them off mamy years ago. Their sheetmetal parts are mostly handmade with rolled features and not very good. Brookville Roadster's (Antique Auto Sheetmetal) sheetmetal parts are not too bad as most of their parts are die stamped. However many of their sheetmetal parts are still not quite right. I have found that finding an original part, even though it means restoring it, is the best. Original parts fit and look right. Of course some original parts like trunk platforms are almost impossible to find in decent restorable condition. I make some of my replacement panel myself.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Brent

Like you said, Rusty, some parts are impossible to find. I come across more junk than usable sheet metal parts, lately. So, I am okay with certain replacement parts.

I'm no longer a patron of Howell's either. But that's beside the point. Unless me shopping with Snyder's means I am going to get Howell's rails and such (if they even make them).

I know every aftermarket panel will need work, I'm okay with that. I just want to get the best parts available and cut down on headaches where I can.

Last edited by Brent; 05-09-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
Chris Haynes

Don't buy anything made by Howell's. Poorly made crap. No customer service. Beware as many dealers sell Howell's crap. Ask who made it before you buy.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
daren007

I replaced the body rails on my 28. Full length rails. Fit really nice. I do not remember where I bought them but I would have to think only one vender makes them.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
JohnLaVoy

We've used most of the various reproduction parts over the years. We've heard all of the objections to the parts by people saying they don't fit etc. Before you start talking down about the parts be sure your project is 100% correct. Most frames are sagging, the bodies are out of square etc. which make it difficult to install new parts. Over 90 years time there is a good chance some work was done to the car and maybe it wasn't done perfectly.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
ericr

this has been a source of many frustrations posted here for years. I wonder if the vendors would have the expertise, motivation etc. to locate a better sheet metal shop for the various parts.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
Oldbluoval

Just go with brookville roadster
They are as good as you will find
Imho
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
Roadster62

Fit everything in bare metal or primer NOT AFTER you paint things! Bob
Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
SteveB31

To answer your questions, as a retailer of Model A parts for 35 years, all the sub rails are made by Brookville. The good 1930 apron/runningbaord sets are also made by Brookville. The bad aprons made by Howells.

Steve @ Bert’s Model A Center
Modelastore.com
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #12
Brent

Thanks Steve! Answers were what I was looking for!

I'll be giving you guys a call. I assume shipping would be less from Denver to SLC than anywhere else.

I appreciate you!

Brent
Old 05-12-2018, 12:41 AM   #13
pbishop

I have 'always' received 'top quality' parts from GASLIGHT'. You pay for what you get.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
hazelhoff

Brent, i have had great difficuly installing the rear fenders. The repro aprons are the problem. They are not wide enough at the back end, so they will never meet the fender. Studying this issue I found there are NO correct ones available. So you will have to rebuild them. Meaning welding in an elongated wedge.
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote