Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Jon-Ohio

Default Hershey -Day 2 -Thurs

Another weather perfect swap meet day - similar to yesterday. Bigger crowds today and the parking was a little slower this morning. I finished the south chocolate and most of the red fields before quitting this afternoon. Also went to the MAFCA class on shock rebuilding and
Learned a lot. A few more vendors showed up but still plenty of vacant spaces - not sure if it was last month’s flooding or just the economy. Plenty of cars and parts but prices were high on a lot of stuff. I shouldn't covet but there was a beautiful restored 31 2 door dlx phaeton over in the red field next to the stadium for a mere $41.5K- what a gorgeous car. This was a very enjoyable trip but probably my last time due to foot/leg/knee problems that are getting worse plus travel costs are getting worse each year and very hard when you’re on limited (SS) fixed income. Sad to say, Model A's are not the cheap poor man's antique car anymore like they were back in 1961 when I first got my 30 coupe (for $125). Heading back to Ohio tomorrow.
Jon-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Doug in NJ

Default Re: Hershey -Day 2 -Thurs

I was there today too, and had a nice time. I did mostly Orange and Green, with just a bit of time left over at the end for Chocolate. I ran into a gentleman who came all teh way from Australia, specifically to visit Hershey! And even more Suropean and Latin Americal visitors than I remember in the past.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
5window

I'm headed to Hershey tomorrow-hard to believe it won't be raining. I'm sorry your health issues will preclude future visits, but i have to disagree with you on the Model As. There are still a lot of reasonably priced cars and, unless you are into fine point competition, there are lots of readily available,fairly reasonable parts.

Even in the late 60's I made $1.99 an hour and those $4-500 A's were pretty far from my budget. I do a little bit better these days and the $10K A doesn't look so bad.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I bought yet another NOS fender today along with some other NOS parts but it was "slim pickin's" again. Alot of effort for little reward. I too worked the Orange & Green field before going back to the Chocolate. I also decided to skip the Chili Party in lieu if searching for parts. That gameplan was probably not a prudent one. Maybe the "search feature" on eBay has made me a wimp when it comes to looking for stuff! Will make a last effort tomorrow before heading south.

BTW, wasn't it Clem who used to rate swap meets by Sediment Bulbs? Maybe he will chime in on how many bulbs this year's meet was.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
MCHinson

I don't have a lot of Model A Parts left. I do have some nice 21" wheels, a transmission, and a few other parts available tomorrow in CG34 if anybody is interested. I will pack up Friday afternoon because I will be judging on Saturday. Feel free to stop by to sit down to rest for a few minutes or if you are in a buying mood.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
Steve Wastler

Still a lot of good parts and deals, you just have to look. As Doc Kalinka said yesterday, if you can't find it at Hershey, it's not out there!! Was super pleased at my bag of smalls, there were many more model A parts this year than the past few years...
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Stinch

Two days of non-stop walking Wednesday and Thursday. I believe I covered every row too. I can barely walk now as I feel about 30 years older. Every time I go to Hershey I come home with a big smile on my face. My best find was a decent "stupid hard to find" cross sill channel for my 68B. And for $20.00 too!

Rich