Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Mike34

Default Steering Box Numbers & ID a Box

I'm setting out to rebuild two steering boxes, so I was sorting through some steering boxes and I'm puzzled by some of the numbers stamped on the housings.

a. The numbers stamped into the box that I pulled off my '33 car doesn't make sense. 72738, what's up with that? Any ideas?

b. The "books" state that housing numbers should be B-3548. However, three are stamped B-3550 and 3550 doesn't show up in any parts book that I have (Green Bible nor the Chassis Parts List.)

c. The left most box is the exact same design except it's about 30% larger than the other boxes. And I can't find the stamped number in any book. Is it a big truck box? And what years?

d. Is the 2nd box from the left a 1932 box? I assume by the B-3580 it's '32. Also note orientation of sector shaft house is different than the '33/34 boxes.
Thanks,
-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteeringBoxes.jpg (42.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg TruckBox.jpg (60.4 KB, 51 views)
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Steering Box Numbers & ID a Box

The steering gear in the left side of your photo appears to be the BB version for big trucks (note the four spoke steering wheel). The chassis parts catalogs only list service parts, which often are assemblies or partial assemblies. Steering gear housings are an example of that with B-3550 being just one part of the B-3548 assembly. (Every part of your car originally had a part number right down to the lock washers, but only a fraction of those part numbers show up in the service parts catalogues.)

It is obvious that several different manufacturers supplied steering gear assemblies to Ford as the variations in markings that you've observed are only some of those that exist. For example, some have large letters spelling out "Gemmer" cast into the gear boxes.

The sector housings are different for '33-'34s compared to '32s as you've observed, but the gear box is the same and all of the '32-'34 passenger car/light commercial gear boxes are interchangeable. What differs are the sector housings, the worm gear, the sector gear, the sector gear housing and the steering shaft.

You could have added another question if you had compared the shaft lengths of your three '33-'34 steering columns and found that all three weren't equal in length as the first 10,000 '33 steering shafts are shorter than all that follow.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Mike34

Thanks David.
That makes sense and I was suspecting it was something like that with respect to the part numbers.
I am aware of the shaft length differences and will be curious to see how the 33/34 shafts compare. I'll have to keep that in mind as I marry them up with horn button shafts. Thank for your insights. I guess it's time to start degreasing and rebuilding.
-Mike
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:43 AM   #4
big deuce

I picked this up the other day, identical to 32-34 steering box but no provisions for light switch on the end. What application would this been used in? All parts from 32 car box fit it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (11).jpg (61.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (12).jpg (49.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (13).jpg (62.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (10).jpg (77.1 KB, 23 views)
big deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:42 AM   #5
mercman from oz

Steering Box and Numbers by Mike34
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:55 AM   #6
Mart

I don't know what it is from, but it looks like it just needs a couple of holes drilling and tapping to make it suitable for use with a light switch. A simple job with the right tools.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
big deuce

I've been informed by Neal that they were used on tractors well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnDeereLA-20.jpg (57.6 KB, 25 views)
big deuce is offline   Reply With Quote