Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default My Quest continues ( HERE GO'S )

You may have been following my Quest to get answers to some shock Questions pertaing to trying to get the shock as accurate and close to original as possable / I have been told that I need not ask because the referance books are out there / Yes there are some / But as I have said before the Shocks are a area that often gets white washed with a very wide brush.
I am going to use the 1938 / 39 Early V8 referance book for my example,
Pg.5-14 < I wish I could scan the pictures >

It shows a picture of a typical 38-39 "Adjustable Packing Gland " Rear shock With mounting bolts-------- The Bolts look like a normal hex head bolt going from the top going through the shock with a slotted nut & cotter pin.

Next picture is a Typical Late 39 "Spring Loaded Seal" Rear Shock with the same type mounting bolt.

Next Picture shows two bolts 1st looked like a carrage bolt / next bolt has one side flattened

Then it goes on to say that in October 37 the rear mounting bolts went to the carrage bolt type But yet the earlier pictures show the Hex bolt type.

Also on the same page they mention a service letter dated 10/1/37 that at this time the front mounting holes went from round to square so if that is true why have I had no disgruntled coustomers tell me the bolts I have furnished were incorrect or did they switch back to round holes in later years?

I have a 48 frame in the yard and the front holes are round ??????

So this may help explain why I want the input from as many people as possable to try to get a picture of what is correct in the real world.

In construction we work off of plans < Blue prints > then when the project in done there is a set of plans that is labled "AS BUILT"

Could this also apply to our cars and that is why there is some discrepancy's along the way ????

Last edited by BILL WZOREK; 01-18-2014 at 09:37 AM.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: My Quest continues ( HERE GO'S )

Here Go 1st Question Pertaining to Front shocks
They Went to large body ( 3 1/4" ) in 1941 w/6lug cap, The mounting Holes were Quite close to the Body / Later on they moved the mounting holes out, When did that happen?????
Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post

In construction we work off of plans < Blue prints > then when the project in done there is a set of plans that is labled "AS BUILT"

Could this also apply to our cars and that is why there is some discrepancy's along the way ????
You have years of owner/mechanic modifications to sift through as well as production line variances that may never be explained. Don't forget about WWII shortages and needs at that time to just keep the car running as new ones were not being built. I know with another car that I own, the model was built at three different assembly plants each with a minor, but some different methods of assembly. One plant may have been using previous model parts to deplete inventory, or a the worker could have had a cantankerous attitude the day your car was built. When searching for answers on that car, you needed to establish which plant built the car.

With my somewhat similar situation, I am going to look at other peoples vehicles and photograph the heck out of them (with their permission). If you can't find anybody with the answer, your approach may become the "correct" approach. Don't give up and good luck.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
BILL WZOREK

Sixseven:
You are correct as far as once on the car, But there is a correct answer and time frame, to when the change was made. In relation to moving the bolt holes on the front shocks.