Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2022, 08:42 PM   #41
SonicRaT

Default Re: This hobby is dieing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Restorationz View Post
I am, by far, the youngest member of our club at 38 years old. The struggle I see is that most clubs are not doing things during the hours when a working person or family can attend. With so many retirees and older folks who want to be home before dark most of the time, a working guy with a family doesn’t have a prayer if he wants to attend something during the week. Locally, there isn’t really a good Model A presence at the weekend car shows either. Many of the cars are unfortunately starting to price out of a young persons (working full time with kids) range. My father-in-law and I were fortunate enough to obtain a barn-find car and have been steadily restoring it over the past year. You can check out what we’ve done so far on our YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/c/EpicRestorationz

We’re hopeful that once we’re done and can get the car out to shows, we can start to build some more interest locally with the car and the story/channel we’ve built along with it. Time will tell.
I'm a follower of your channel, also 38, and under 50 miles from you. I think you're pretty spot on -- I am definitely the youngest of the groups I've checked out and a lot of their events are at times I just can't make with work. I try to hit as many shows as I can in either of my A's, but seeing other A's is pretty scarce.

If you ever need a hand spinning wrenches, let me know!
SonicRaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:16 PM   #42
GerryAllen

Guys and Gals, I am a firm believer, the more you drive your car the more interest it generates . Or to put it another way, the more your drive your car the more people see them.
Lets get our cars on the road, whether driving to the dentist or going across town to visit a friend may indeed spark interest.
Gerry Allen, Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-29-2022, 10:38 PM   #43
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
Guys and Gals, I am a firm believer, the more you drive your car the more interest it generates . Or to put it another way, the more your drive your car the more people see them.
Lets get our cars on the road, whether driving to the dentist or going across town to visit a friend may indeed spark interest.
Gerry Allen, Birch Bay WA
I agree completely. What got me interested in the Model A was that, growing up in the 50's and 60's, there were still folks that used the Model A as a daily driver and I saw them on a regular basis. These were usually not restorations, but cars that may have had a one color repaint and some modifications or were bone stock originals that showed their age. Where were the other makes of that era? For the most part, they had been recycled before and about the time I was born. Everybody admires a survivor.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:29 AM   #44
Epic Restorationz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicRaT View Post
I'm a follower of your channel, also 38, and under 50 miles from you. I think you're pretty spot on -- I am definitely the youngest of the groups I've checked out and a lot of their events are at times I just can't make with work. I try to hit as many shows as I can in either of my A's, but seeing other A's is pretty scarce.

If you ever need a hand spinning wrenches, let me know!

Great! Nice to meet you. Maybe once we get our car finished we’ll see you at a show or two. We usually attend many of the local shows north of Grand Rapids fairly regularly.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #45
bearbait

My A was bought by my grandfather in April of 1963, then put into storage when my dad was drafted in 1968. I joined a local club in 2021 and got the car on the road last year. Since then I have put 2500 miles on it and drive it to work several times a week when the whether allows. I'm 44 and the youngest in my club, of which many of the member could mathematically be my grandparent. I have made some great friendships in the last year and a half. My 4 year old will be the next in my family to drive this roadster. Its up to the current owners/drivers to make sure the next generation keeps the hobby going. And I will continue to encourage and teach my children the passion I have for the car.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote