Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Milt K from Pa

Default T-Bird Battery

Barners,
My battery in my '57 Bird died yesterday even with a Battery Tender on it. I used it a week ago with no problem. Problem now is finding a new one. The size group is 29NF and the only brand I can find is Interstate, same as in the car. I'd like to put an Optima in, but the sizes are too wide for the tray. Anybody have a strong replacement??
Size is 12-1/2 X 5-1/2 wide X 8 high.
Thanks for any help.

Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Sid

Default Re: T-Bird Battery

You may try Battery's Plus & Bulbs. They offer 29NF in Duracell. I have had very good luck with their batteries. They may have to order it in. I have never had good luck with the Optima battery. If they get run down once they are done. I just replaced the one in the Duece that died at 7 years. I have a Battery Plus in nearly everything and get as much as 13 years. Steer clear of Napa batteries also.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Bob-93021

A few years ago you could get a Motocraft 29 series battery at local Ford dealers. I think they were used in trucks and some industrial applications. - Bob
Bob-93021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
y'sguy

I like the Interstate as the replacement. I have an optima and would not do it again.
whatever you do make sure that the size you get has the same or proper position of the pos. and neg. terminals. I have seen this mistake made more than once! The replacemntsfrom the parts are pricey but accurate. I always have mine on a battery tender, it just cannot get driven enough.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
BN

I had an Interstate battery go bad on me that was only 1 year old. Admittedly, I was using it for electrostatic rust removal pulling 2 - 6 amps drawing it down to about 7 volts. Then I would recharge it with a 2 amp charger. The last time I tried to use it in my car it was charged to 12.5 V and then went completely dead the instant I hit the starter. Probably an internal short in the post connection.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt K from Pa View Post
Barners, My battery in my '57 Bird died yesterday ..... Problem now is finding a new one. The size group is 29NF ..... Anybody have a strong replacement??....
I've got a '55 that was sort-of converted to 12v and knew it was going to be an uphill battle finding a battery.
Keep calling around to local battery shops. If one place doesn't have them ask who they suggest, you should come across something. Try farm and industrial supply places that might be near you. Maybe even walmart?
I ended up with an in-house brand 12v battery from a local battery shop that I suspect may be for a large yard tractor. I bought it to fit the tray, then discovered the tray isn't the right one for the car. Too late to change it now.
With any luck you can find one that hasn't been sitting on the shelf too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN View Post
..... The last time I tried to use it in my car it was charged to 12.5 V and then went completely dead the instant I hit the starter. Probably an internal short in the post connection.
Be glad it didn't explode like this 5yr old interstate, acid went all over under the hood.
I borrowed it from my '55 Bird (engine was out & battery didn't fit the tray anyway) to put in my OT truck. It had been sitting a little while so I charged it for an hr or so and tried to run an errand.
Luckily a garden hose was handy. I suspect an internal connection was corroded and arced, setting off the hydrogen fumes inside when I hit the starter switch.

It gave me warning signs but I wasn't paying attention. It would act dead or only click the relays sometimes when turning the key, and 5 secs later would turn the engine over just like normal.
A battery shop had checked it earlier in the week and said it was fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery.jpg (70.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-18-2017 at 11:49 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Sid

I also had an Interstate battery explode on me. Problem is it is the most reasonable priced battery for the Baby Birds.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I also had an Interstate battery explode on me. Problem is it is the most reasonable priced battery for the Baby Birds.
RV, boat and other places sell full coverage battery boxes. But then putting the battery in the trunk is about the only option.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #9
Milt K from Pa

Barners,
Thanx for all of the replies. I found a local battery supply house that sells Pennsylvania made batts, called Deka. Seller said it is better than Interstate (of course). So we'll see how it lasts.
Thanks.
Milt K from Pa
Old 09-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
Alaska Jim

I would not put an Interstate Battery in my Riding lawn mower. we did a test on them when I worked for the state of Alaska. yes the offer more cca's than most comparable batteries in their class. the reason is they put more plates in the same space, however as the batteries age a little and with the bouncing, and jarring the space between the plate fills up faster as the plates sulfate . In the end we were using more batteries over the same period of time than we were with other name brand Batteries. Just my opinion.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
Larryejoh

O'Reilly auto parts has a 29NF for about $110.
Larryejoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
I would not put an Interstate Battery in my Riding lawn mower. we did a test on them when I worked for the state of Alaska. yes the offer more cca's than most comparable batteries in their class. the reason is they put more plates in the same space, however as the batteries age a little and with the bouncing, and jarring the space between the plate fills up faster as the plates sulfate . In the end we were using more batteries over the same period of time than we were with other name brand Batteries. Just my opinion.
I used nothing but Interstate all my years in Alaska and sold them out of every shop I worked at. The only ones I ever had come back was the cheaper green top ones and I wouldn't sell them. CCA really doesn't mean much to me. I look for reserve capacity, it tells you a lot more about a battery. Now I use all John Deere batterys, not sure who makes them but they last good and take the jostling. You can tell a lot about a battery just by lifting it.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
Sid

A mechanic for the City hear near me was lust telling about the Deka batteries the other day. The City is now using them and said they are very good and can be purchased through Napa Auto Parts.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #14
Milt K from Pa

Sid,
Thanks for that info, makes me feel better!!

Milt K from Pa
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
Milt K from Pa

Sid,
Thanks for that info, makes me feel better!!

Milt K from Pa
Old 09-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #16
Alaska Jim

Willowbilly3, A lot of people like them . we just did not have good luck with them in fleet service. I tried them also, and did not have much luck with them. I use an optima battery in my '51 merc. been in there for over 10 years and still works great. I used to like a/c Delco, but they like most others have gone down hill in quality. I now buy the best I can afford with the best warranty , and hope for the best. I do have a really neat battery in my '30 coupe it is some type of Gel-cell made in Tenn. they sell some similar to it in Summit, and jegs. they are very small. they are advertised as a starting battery, but they wok fine in my little coupe, it has no accessories to run, only the lights and the electronic Ign. the Alt keeps it fully charged, and I keep it on a battery tender when not in use. they do warn not to let the voltage to get below ( I think ) 10.5 volts, or it will have trouble recharging on a normal battery charger. I do not recall the name brand at the moment. If you want to know I can dig out the paper work I have on it. anyway , I am glad that some people get good service from the Interstate Batteries, just did not work for me , or the state when we ran a 2 year test cycle.---Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #17
Milt K from Pa

Barners,
If you notice the comments about the Optima batteries seem that the recent ones do not last. I'm not sure but I believe about 5 years or so ago, the mfg. was moved to Mexico!!. This may have an effect on quality.....

Milt K from Pa
Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #18
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt K from Pa View Post
..... I'm not sure but I believe about 5 years or so ago, the mfg. was moved to Mexico!!. This may have an effect on quality.....
IIRC, at a T-Bird convention last fall in a Q/A session there was a similar story about Pertronix ignition parts now being made in China? But I didn't pay much attention since I'm using points.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-24-2017 at 03:50 PM.