Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
ed s.

Default 21 inch wheel runout

Does anyone know where I can get my 21 inch spoke wheels for a 29 Model A trued ?... I know there are places that can do this ..Experiencing up to 1/2" runout.. THANKS in advance , Ed
ed s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 21 inch wheel runout

I can't believe you post a question like that without giving at least your general location in your post or in your profile. I know a place in Los Angeles but since you might live in Florida I am not going to the trouble to look up their address. Post if you are in Los Angeles and I will get you an address.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

By 1/2" runout, I assume you mean wobble (side to side movement)?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
columbiA

Best to find another wheel.They are not that hard to find.Look for wheels with no broken or bent spokes. I would not buy a wheel that has an old tire on it as they are often totally rusted out on the inside of the rim.they need to have stud holes that are not worn out.Best to take along a new wheel nut & try it in the holes.The bevel of wheel nut should not protrude beyond the inside of stud hole.Good wheels are not that expensive.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
35 rancho

Hay Ed Like I said Go thru the rims you have run the best ones. Use the next best for spares. I Think Hershey will have plenty to pick from, but You'll need a way to spin them. You don't want to buy more junk. By the way how's the carb doing? did you get another?
Happy motoring!!! Dave

Last edited by 35 rancho; 08-25-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: bad spelling
35 rancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I can't believe you post a question like that without giving at least your general location in your post or in your profile. I know a place in Los Angeles but since you might live in Florida I am not going to the trouble to look up their address. Post if you are in Los Angeles and I will get you an address.

Charlie Stephens
MAN, someone not get his nap today? I took it as a general question, like what type of shop, (machine shop ect). Even if he was looking for a specific place the nice man from UPS could probably take wherever for him.

That reply was really a swell way way to welcome a new guy with his first post. A good chance he will never be back here to be embarrassed.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
QGolden

Hi Ed, and Welcome to the Barn. Tell us what you have for a car, and we love pictures! Regarding your Rims, please detail a bit on what you mean by "runout" My definition of "runout" can be poorly mounted tires, and not necessary a bad rim.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed s. View Post
Does anyone know where I can get my 21 inch spoke wheels for a 29 Model A trued ?... I know there are places that can do this ..Experiencing up to 1/2" runout.. THANKS in advance , Ed
Ed,
If your problem is what I define as runout (probably egg shaped) find a different wheel. That amount is more than I currently attempt to correct as it takes some pretty specialized equipment and lots of time. I built the equipment to do so about 10 years ago and have worked on...I lost count at over 300 wheels, some years back...I am sick of wheels! I correct 1/4" runout pretty often...and that is about as much as I care to do. With 1/2" runout it can take over 4 hours to work it back to straight. If you are describing wobble (side to side) it is easily corrected by spoke shrinking. Spoke shrinking is something easily done yourself.
Look for "Wheel Wobble Reduction by Spoke shrinking" on the DIY page of my website below. I have a longer write-up "Wheel Straightening article published by MAFCA" that describes a pressing method and shows the specialized equipment it requires to remove runout variations.

www.durableperformance.net

Email me if you have questions...

ps: I do not take in wheels anymore but I still do them free for our local Model A Chapter members and then only if the member stays while I work on them and shares some conversation!

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-24-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added the ps:
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
MAN, someone not get his nap today? I took it as a general question, like what type of shop, (machine shop ect). Even if he was looking for a specific place the nice man from UPS could probably take wherever for him.

That reply was really a swell way way to welcome a new guy with his first post. A good chance he will never be back here to be embarrassed.
You right I was a too hard on him. I didn't notice that it was his first post. I took it as he was looking to find a place to do the work and without a location in his profile it is impossible to recommend a local place and that nice man from UPS wants money to be nice (have you shipped any wheels recently?).

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-24-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
ed s.

Hey guys , THANKS for the feedback , even though Charlie was a little cranky at first .. What I did after being told by a driver that was following me informing me that my tires were wobbly I set up an indicator checking out all the wheel rims , not the tires off the same hub/rear axle .. Worst case scenario was 1/2" , others were 1/4 " or less .. Fave in San Diego is my Western technical adviser and you more than likely read his reply ... Going to Hershey in Oct. and will look around to see what I can find there ...THANKS for all that replied, even Charlie !!! Fave , I bought a rebuilt B carb but have not yet modified intake manifold to accept ..I was going to have it bored out at a local shop but local A guy told me to to use an air grinder to open up and then polish the port ? ... Ed
ed s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Bob-A

Lightbulb Re: 21 inch wheel runout

The last time I bought some 21" wheels. I borrowed a buddies "run-out"
(wobble) indicator. It consisted of an "A" front spindle C-clamped to a Jack-stand with a hub/studs and bearings on it. Rather heavy to lug around a swap meet maybe. But I found 3 good (1/8th inch wobble or less) wheels out of 5. Fortunately the wheels were at a guy's shop and
I could drive right up to it.
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote