Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
dlfrisch

Default Spare Tire Mounting Bracket

I’m disassembling my ‘28 Sport Coupe for complete body off restoration. Some tough challenging encounters, but all is coming along O K. My current problem - I can’t loosen the spare tire bracket arm from the main frame. It is the arm, that holds the spare tire in the fender well. I have loosened the lower “castle” nut, used penetrating oil, heated with the propane torch and hammered with a small maul. STILL - N.G. One added note, I have these brackets on each side of this car (two spare tires). Is it splined ? Is it tapered ? I know I can cut the bolts off and replace the armed, but I would like to disassemble and reassemble.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Spare Tire Mounting Bracket

the arm is tapered, if you have the body off, you can remove the splash apron. take two hammers. one big one and good size. using the big one as a back up by putting it against one side of the bracket, and hitting the other side of the bracket with the other hammer. the shock will pop the arm loose. no need to hit the arm itself. or if the brackets are bolted remove them and if you have a anvil lay the bracket on the anvil and hit the bracket with a hammer. some times it take a pretty good hit to do it, it works for me every time.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote