Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
holdover

Default The Battery Game

I live on a farm where we raised Clydesdale horses. Stopped that hobby when I got older and had physical problems working with them. Now we just do some hay. Have always been into vehicles even before I was a teenager. Classics, hot rods etc. I just did a count of vehicles and farm equipment that require batteries on my place. Besides the tractor, backhoe and mowers and farm vehicles, pickups etc that don't leave the property, I have 5 Model A's all insured with plates and 6 daily driver vehicles, a few race cars and others, all that require batteries. Other than the local auto parts stores such as Advance, Auto Zone and Napa there is a local country store that sells Interstate Batteries, but the cost of all these are high, anywhere from $100-160. In total there are 24 active batteries on my place. A few years ago a Rural King opened up about 36 miles from where I live. If you are not familiar with them it is like a Tractor Supply on steroids. They have their own brand that is made by Exide. Today I bought 4 of them on sale for $54.95 each. All come with a free replacement for a year, and pro rated for 5 years. Have them in my Model As both 6 volt and 12 volt and other vehicles. I have been getting great service out of them without any problems for over 3 years and I don't use a battery maintainer. When I compare them to the $156.00 + Tax Interstate battery a friend just bought for their 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee which is also guaranteed for 5 years, it is a great deal. With my 2 oldest Exide's close to 4 yrs old in my '29 Coupe and '29 Pickup, I am curious to see how long they last. At the price they seem like a good deal.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote