Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #1
fordor41

Default scams

I am in the process of selling my '41 Ford fordor on craigslist. I've gotten at least 3 messages from people who were "interested". the first. we Googled the name, came up with complaints of being a scam. second message was identical in wording as the first, the third almost identical.

Thank you for the mail, i am okay with the condition Likewise your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately, I'll have it for the listed price. I'm interested and want you consider it sold . As I'm purchasing it as a surprise gift to my Step-Son and I want to keep it a surprise till the delivery day., so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? I work with the military air-force and presently in camp serving the nation which is strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction done Via PayPal, And i will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe and secure to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible. Less I forgot, I have a Mover that will come for pickup once and after payment is cleared into your PayPal account . As they will be handling the title for me, I will be looking forward to hear from you with your PayPal information as requested below.

Your PayPal email-address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Address for Pick Up:
Phone Number:
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: scams

they are going by Christian grace, cameron moore and jordan boulis (spelling?) both moore and grace responded from the listing on craigslist Oneonta(NY)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
3twinridges

Sounds like you have done your research. But help me understand how you know that's a scam. If they paypal you the money and it hits your account, what happens then? Do they withdraw or cancel the transaction after they pickup the vehicle?

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
fordor41

3 different people sent almost the same exact message, word for word. they all were set up the same way with a space under the message and the questions listed underneath, from the same exact craigslist location under different names.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
papanomad

have had several big ticket items listed on craigslist and have had several responses nearly identical to yours. definite scam.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
Drbrown

Craig's List is flush with scammers, robbers and totally rude and inconsiderate people. It's nice that its free but I only sell there when I must sell something locally. Although one pays a fee with ebay but its safer. Also, I use Paypal as much as I can and for double protection tie it to one of my credit cards.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
Paul Bennett

CraigsList is for people to phone you to make arrangements to view the item. They are expected to bring cash money. If necessary on prices over $2k agree on a time when banks are open so then can convert paper to cash.

Deviations from the above are not tolerated as a total waste of your time. I've bought and sold vehicles using these rules. Posted in the ad reduces wasting your time. Perhaps your ad screams you want to be scammed ... don't invite it. Be proud of your item - your ad will reek of either quality item which deserving of the new owner and for scammers to pass on by.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
corvette8n

When I post on CL I ignore all the emails and text messages, I bought a $7. used Tracfone on eBay and put that number in the ad, that way in 3 months the tracfone runs out and I don't get crank calls forever on my personal cellphone.
Also try Hemmings to sell your car, that's where I found my '41 for sale.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
Ford Freak

Try Hemmings or Auto Roundup to sell your car . I have also had a good experience with racejunk.com . It is not all racing stuff . They have multiple catorgories , including "classics" . Craigslist is ok for small , inexpensive parts , etc.
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #10
skidmarks

The first red flag to a cragslist scammer is the email will not mention your stuff forsale by name.
Like this, is your 350 chevy motor for sale? More like , is your item still for sale

Next common one is , what is your final price and are you ready to meet today.

99 percent of the time, craigslist is a waste of time
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
Capt Kirk

Personally, I would assume it's a scam just by the way it's written..."less I forgot"...nobody I know speaks or writes like that.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
3twinridges

I remember a guy had a merc crank for sale up in Ohio on CL that I was looking at. I was having a hard time finding one at the time and was extending my search into other states. I texted him several times as that was his preferred contact method mentioning the merc crank. He was convinced I was a scam, I guess because I asked so many questions, I dont know? Even tried calling him and he wouldn't answer my calls. Ended up buying one from a guy on here in the wanted ads.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
papanomad

they always say they will send someone to pick up after payment clears. my response is have them bring cash with them. I never hear from them again!
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
38bill

I have sold a lot of things on CL with very good results. I have also met some very nice people during the sales. When I post an ad I always include a note that they have to make their response include something specific from the ad or I will not answer. I also inform them I will not respond to questions like "Still got it" or "Whats the bottom price" etc. Anybody who uses CL should know its cash on delivery so any other offers would make me very suspicious.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
billfish

I have also bought and sold many things on craigslist, including my car. I was always able to make personal contact by phone and could easley weed out the fakes. All my experiences were positive.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Shu47

Craigslist can be great for selling and buying stuff but you do need to be careful. First of all never click on a link or attachment sent to you in an email from Craigslist
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

The message they sent is written similar to Spam messages I have received, BUT once they deposit funds in your PayPal account, how can they scam you after that? Just curious.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #18
cobbie

PayPal is for the buyer he can request a refund for any reason no questions asked.
cobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #19
Fibber Mcgee

But it can't be a scam, they work with the military air force. Who says that.."military air force"as opposed to the non-military air force?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #20
paul2748

Just the phrasing of the message tells me it's a scam. It's from some one that english is not their native language.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote